Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
London bombed. the police lied. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zoutout

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:08 pm
They shot a guy because he was suspicious, and ran into a tube station, despite being warned repeatedly that if he didn't stop they'd shoot.

It's not like it was without warning or justification.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:40 pm
Zoutout
They shot a guy because he was suspicious, and ran into a tube station, despite being warned repeatedly that if he didn't stop they'd shoot.

they shouldnt have put 5 into him from close range. mad  

Mr. Bono Vox

Zoutout

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:52 am
Would you rather he set off the bomb they seemed to think he was carrying?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:10 am
Tommy Vox
Zoutout

Armed police have a "shoot to kill" policy if they suspect you have a bomb. They are taking no chance... sucks if you are that suspect and you don't do what they say. Five in his back on the ground is crude but they may have been making sure he was dead and could do no harm.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:05 pm
Tommy Vox
Zoutout

Why not? He ran from armed police during a heightened alert after terrorist attacks on trains 2 weeks beforehand. He ran after being told to stop. He was warned, then he kept running, even going so far as to run onto a train. It's tragic if he was innocent but he brought it upon himself.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:51 pm
Apparently he was innocent, but he brought it upon himself, and there was no real way for the police to have known (in a situation like that you have to make a decision in less than a second. It's easy to criticise, but I believe they made the right decision, even if it was a mistake)  

Zoutout

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:46 am
Fourcolour
Tommy Vox
Zoutout

Why not? He ran from armed police during a heightened alert after terrorist attacks on trains 2 weeks beforehand. He ran after being told to stop. He was warned, then he kept running, even going so far as to run onto a train. It's tragic if he was innocent but he brought it upon himself.
i would have ran! who is to say that the police men where not terrorists themselves? i mean they where in ordinary clothes. AND i do not trust your police force as far as i could throw them.
i suppose then after what you have said you support the murder of innocents by the Police?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:49 am
Zoutout
Apparently he was innocent, but he brought it upon himself, and there was no real way for the police to have known (in a situation like that you have to make a decision in less than a second. It's easy to criticise, but I believe they made the right decision, even if it was a mistake)
yes lets allow the police to gun down people just because they wear a cap and a winter jacket... very clever. the police men that did this need put away. it was nothing short of murder.  

Mr. Bono Vox

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:01 am
Tommy Vox
Zoutout
yes lets allow the police to gun down people just because they wear a cap and a winter jacket... very clever. the police men that did this need put away. it was nothing short of murder.

Don't talk rubbish. He jumped a barrier, ignored armed police telling him to stop, and ran onto a train the day after 4 men tried to blow up more public transport. The police behaved admirably and did what needed to be done.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:03 am
Tommy Vox
AND i do not trust your police force as far as i could throw them.

How is your irrational distrust of the Met relevant?  

Fourcolour

Zoutout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:53 pm
I do support the police killing innocents, when there's so much justification that it's better than to have risked it (which was the case this time)

[edit] It's a choice between the police making some mistakes, and some sucesses, or not allowing them to do anything.

The choice between a few innocents, or many many more innocents.

You can't have the best of both.

If mistakes like this can't be made, it equates to murdr on a much larger scale.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:08 am
There is some discussion regarding the fact that the plain clothes officers in question may not have identified themselves AS police when the challenged him. Thing is, if a bunch of guys armed with guns challenged me? I'd be running away too. Self preservation is the oddest thing like that.

I do not believe for one moment any one of those officers intended to kill an innocent. I firmly believe they thought he was an immediate threat to themselves and the passengers on that train.

It was a dreadful, tragic mistake and we can all sit here and condemn them for their actions, but...what if they HAD been right about him? What if they had been right, but too paralysed with fear to act because they MIGHT have got it wrong? What then?  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:10 am
illyrianth
There is some discussion regarding the fact that the plain clothes officers in question may not have identified themselves AS police when the challenged him. Thing is, if a bunch of guys armed with guns challenged me? I'd be running away too. Self preservation is the oddest thing like that.

I do not believe for one moment any one of those officers intended to kill an innocent. I firmly believe they thought he was an immediate threat to themselves and the passengers on that train.

It was a dreadful, tragic mistake and we can all sit here and condemn them for their actions, but...what if they HAD been right about him? What if they had been right, but too paralysed with fear to act because they MIGHT have got it wrong? What then?

I think that he kinda brought it upon himself by jumping a barrier in a terrorist area...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:13 am
and_solo_said

I think that he kinda brought it upon himself by jumping a barrier in a terrorist area...

As I stated previously, if challenged by men with guns and I wasn't sure who they were? I'd run too. Might not get far, but I'd run.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:21 am
illyrianth
and_solo_said

As I stated previously, if challenged by men with guns and I wasn't sure who they were? I'd run too. Might not get far, but I'd run.

It doesn't matter whether the men were terrorists or police, running away was still the most likely course of action to get him shot  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games