Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
T i r a e l - [Full] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:10 pm
GEE THANKS FOR GIVING ME TOO MANY CHOICES.

Well I'm really not that great at foreshortening and my anatomy is largely intuitive/guesswork XD;; but I do know my color theory/composition stuff pretty well D8...

But let's see what the other mentees have in mind whee

p.s. I'm on a school compy atm and am supposed to be writing a program so excuse the slow responses... plus I need to wait till I get home before I do anything detailed XD;;  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:53 pm
T i r a e l
Psst >3> btw would any of you like 'assignments'?

I could make some up if you want... but what do you guys want to work on the most? O:

Or I can give general practices to work on, they don't have to be required.

Assignments sound cool blaugh
Umm... I know anatomy's a given. I'd always need help in that area. And perspectives too xD, like Sriae said. Perhaps lighting ? Or practicing different kinds of light sources (like direction, warm/cold intensities...). Color theory sounds like a good subject too 3nodding  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:04 pm
Alright biggrin It's getting late but I'll think up something for you guys and post it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:43 pm
Sorry, I know I bug you too much... sweatdrop
Would you have any suggestions on female eyes for that last drawing that last I asked about?
I want to have her looking upwards, and the light source to be from the top left, but no matter what I do, it looks like she's looking downwards. crying  

Kenaserenity

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:20 pm
Hey kenasereneity~ Could you show me?

Because her head is tilting down it's going to be hard to make her look like she's actually looking up unless her eyes are rolled to the back of her head. (your eyes usually follow the direction of your head). At most it will look like she's looking straight at you. The way to make someone seem like they're looking up is to only show part of the iris, and have the rest covered by the top lid.

There are so many ways to draw eyes, there are several eye tutorials in our tutorial section, feel free to look at them to get ideas since everyone does eyes differently.

Here are my personal examples that have people looking up:
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u95/Tirael_Art/CG/?action=view¤t=em4.jpg

Diagram of eyed directions: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/redline/eyes.jpg

I don't really mind givin advice to people who are not my mentees, but in the future I hope you go to your own mentor first unless it's a question that is specifically about my style or something like watercolors. I think your mentor can help you just as much :]. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 pm
Tir's Color Theory Crash Course XD!
XD! I really love color. It's so much fun to mix it and use it to make your pictures more interesting. But to use color well it's important to have at least some intuitive knowledge about color theory... so here's my two cents 8D.

T i r a e l
Hello kids! Well here's my lil schpeal about color theory. I'm sure you guys already have some idea of all this but I'm just to refresh your memory 8D.

I'm sure you've all seen the color wheel. The primary colors are Yellow, Red, and Blue and you can mix those to get your Secondary Colors (orange, violet, green), and finally the tertiary colors from mixing primaries and sexondaries (yellow-orange, orange-red etc... usually the primary name comes before the secondary but people forget a lot XD)
User Image

The colors opposite each other are compliments and cause the greatest visual jump when viewed next to each other.
If you mix comlimentary colors perfectly you get a perfect gray.
With paints, the more you mix the less saturated it becomes - it's most saturated straight out of the tube.

If you have way too much time on your hands you can read through more color theory stuff: http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Color/ColorTheory/

Here's a fun little 'exercise' site that shows you how putting colors next to each other gives them different effects. http://www.marilynfenn.com/fun_stuff.html

Some vocab:
Saturation: the amount of pigment that is in a color - what we usually say is the "brightest" color... when things are less saturated they are more 'gray'
Value: the lightness/darkness of a color.

- Things in shadow are not only DARKER they're also LESS SATURATED.
- If there's a bright light, the most saturated section is where the shadows and the light mix, (this is actually the line people should draw when cel-shading and the part where there is most contrast)
- Things that are far away are also less saturated and detailed; keeping your more saturated hues in the foreground will make things pop and not distract the eye.

So here are three dots I colored using a primary color and then shaded using its compliment instead of black:
User Image

Assignment
This is really easy. I want you to first make 3 lil dots like I did and color them by using the complimentary color ;3 - you don't have to use the same colors I did and you can also do this traditionally. After that, try applying the information to the next picture you color. There's no due date for this, it's more just an exercise/useful info to keep in mind.

Lastly, here's a website to help you with color schemes biggrin : http://www.steeldolphin.com/color_scheme.html

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:59 pm
Tirael, this is a great assignment! I struggle so much with colour theory -_- *goes to it*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 pm
Ho snap that is AWESOME. Loving the color scheme chooser. Spiffy.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Man that made my eyes hurt. Maybe I shouldn't have used such bright colors. XD;

We are supposed to post these, right? >>;  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm
LOL YES XDD OMG MY EYES. THEY ARE BLIND D8> /runs away crying/

/comes back/

I MEANT. GOOD JOB D8>... NICE DOTS @__@ /puts on sunglasses/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm
Heh heh. I got spots in my eyes from staring at those. D:

Note to self: them colors in the first row on Photoshop's color swatches? DO NOT USE.

LAWL THANKS. 8D  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:49 pm
8DDD ahem. yeah... D8>

well here you get a star. redeemable for an insult later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:56 pm
* A* tir = stupidlazy&cootieinfected awesome mentor  

lenapii

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:50 am
lenapii
* A* tir = stupidlazy&cootieinfected awesome mentor
WHY YOU GOTTA BE SO NEGATIVE? D8> /slap/ /gives cooties/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 pm
emo  

sorakoii

Mellow Noise

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:01 pm
Hihi Tir...
I was just wondering for the blooooo dot... Why does it reflect red? Where's that coming from? 3nodding  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff