Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
Ignorant--Just what IS the difference between goth and emo? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goth
  Emo
  Neither
  Just as confused as A.C.
View Results

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm
d00med wanderer
Funny you should ask that question as I had to spend some time learning about being an emo to write my latest novel, and I have to say the only difference between goth and emo is how the darkness is portrayed. Goths love to express the darkness while emos enjoy making misery from it to express themselves.

You had to study emo for a novel....

I hope it involved the rape, torture and violent death of these.... 'emos'.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:50 pm
Very interesting that you should mention that. I do believe that I honed in on this kind of thing, or as far as I could get it. There is suffering in it, however, I try to keep my books dark and sinister.
It may not display those particular subjects, but I think it shows the hopelessness of being emo, as well as the tragedy of being one.
Yet I will be honest: I have no idea about anything emos do, nor do I understand why they do the things they do.  

xX Lord Despair Xx

5,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:46 pm
d00med wanderer
Very interesting that you should mention that. I do believe that I honed in on this kind of thing, or as far as I could get it. There is suffering in it, however, I try to keep my books dark and sinister.
It may not display those particular subjects, but I think it shows the hopelessness of being emo, as well as the tragedy of being one.
Yet I will be honest: I have no idea about anything emos do, nor do I understand why they do the things they do.

Well I mod 2 emo forums (long story don't ask) and I can tell you this of the emo psyché, they have no real problems.

Everything that bothers them or makes them emo is either self created or something simple blown massively out of proportion.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 am
Well, I've noticed the ajjority of emos are not depressed whatsoever.
Sure, there are the few that cut and whine and b***h, for attention.
But the mahority of them just dress this way, and, in fact tend to be very hyper, bubbly, and eccentric.

And I dunno, not all goths prtray darkness. Very far from it, really.
I mean, i think the majority of us have a life quite free of darkness.
For some all the black may be symbolic.. but when it comes down to it, for me anyways, it's just what feels comfortable, looks right on me. I like it.

Also, good luck on the novel. I'm quite a reader, books based around people with alternative lifestyles are usually fairly interesting, and it's nice to see authors portray them as normal people.  

SADERR

xX Lord Despair Xx

5,100 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm
Well I thank you for your "kind" words of wisdom, although we shouldn't digress from the main point this thread was designed to portray, though.
As for my novel, I will never ever try to write another emo story ever again.
I've found out from that experience writing the novel that emos are a lot different than goths.
I strayed away from the main topic; I apologize for that.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff