Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Runic Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:13 am
Jishin
Deoridhe, can I ask you for sources for the rune poems, so that I can examine them more thoroughly? I'm not sure where to find them -- what bits of the lore they're hiding in.

Ragweed Forge is the source I tend to use, though Thorsson offers up his own translations of them.

Shimegamis_Rage
Deoridhe, if you like I can make a chart for each of the different futharks and host them elsewhere. That way you can just link to the charts and not worry excessively about image hosting.

Image hosting isn't a problem; getting off my a** is. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:35 pm
a friend of mine who follows the norse gods is in a slight connundrum (or at least she's totally confused herself). she's gotten into a slight tizzy because a few of the poems she's seen (i forget the sources) regarding the runes all say different numbers (how many runes there are). one i guess says 18, another says 16...i'm willing to be it's probably that different sources are talking about different sets of runes, but i'd love to know if it could be something else?

what are all the different sets and, if possible, the number of runes in each?  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:22 am
phoenix shadowwolf
a friend of mine who follows the norse gods is in a slight connundrum (or at least she's totally confused herself). she's gotten into a slight tizzy because a few of the poems she's seen (i forget the sources) regarding the runes all say different numbers (how many runes there are). one i guess says 18, another says 16...i'm willing to be it's probably that different sources are talking about different sets of runes, but i'd love to know if it could be something else?

what are all the different sets and, if possible, the number of runes in each?

There are three sets I know of. The elder Futhark is 24 runes, and we don't have poems associated with all of them. The younger Futhark is 16 runes, and we have poems associated with all of them. The Armenian Futhark is somewhere around 30 runes, and it's source is questionable.

The 18 probably refers to the rune charms whispered in Baldr's ear after he died by Odin. One of the early rune people associated each of these eighteen with one of the elder Futhark. I personally think these eighteen were bindrunes, not runes proper, and that the final rune involved activating wyrd so Baldr and the other gods could take up the hamingja and orlog of the dead gods after Ragnorak.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:50 pm
Deoridhe
The 18 probably refers to the rune charms whispered in Baldr's ear after he died by Odin. One of the early rune people associated each of these eighteen with one of the elder Futhark. I personally think these eighteen were bindrunes, not runes proper, and that the final rune involved activating wyrd so Baldr and the other gods could take up the hamingja and orlog of the dead gods after Ragnorak.
I've also heard it suggested that the sense in which the runes were whispered was a source for Balder to reference upon his return. Something like a map to find the things needed to start the world again.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:25 pm
Question:

I was given a set of Rune cards, to learn about runes until I can make or buy a set of rune stones. My question is: How do I use Rune cards?  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:45 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Question:

I was given a set of Rune cards, to learn about runes until I can make or buy a set of rune stones. My question is: How do I use Rune cards?
I've seen them shuffled and laid out like tarot, and I have seen them be drawn at random and tossed up in the air over a casting cloth.

My personal advice (depending on the deck) would be to use the like flash cards. But that's just me being a purist. Grab a ten dollar wood burner, a few sticks, split your own staves and go from there.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Question:

I've seen them shuffled and laid out like tarot, and I have seen them be drawn at random and tossed up in the air over a casting cloth.

My personal advice (depending on the deck) would be to use the like flash cards. But that's just me being a purist. Grab a ten dollar wood burner, a few sticks, split your own staves and go from there.
Thank you ^^  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:16 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Thank you ^^
No prob.

Out of curiosity, which deck did you get?  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 pm
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Thank you ^^
No prob.

Out of curiosity, which deck did you get?
ummmm *goes to get them*

Rune Oracle: The powerful magical force of the Vikings is hidden in the ancient Runes

Thats what it says on the box. In five languages.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

sorry if the pictures are hard to see. My light kinda sucks. ^^()()  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:29 pm
Huh. Looks like an interesting deck.

I tend to use Fehu as my primary glance formation of opinion. Slightly worried about the fact that the numbers go up to 26.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:21 pm
TeaDidikai

I tend to use Fehu as my primary glance formation of opinion. Slightly worried about the fact that the numbers go up to 26.
accually, i think they go up to 28.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:23 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai

By any chance, are some of the other cards not related to the runes at all? Because im starting to think that either there are other cards in there that arent runic, or there are made up runes in there (for instance that damn blank rune)  

PhantomPhoenix0

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 am
PhantomPhoenix0

By any chance, are some of the other cards not related to the runes at all? Because im starting to think that either there are other cards in there that arent runic, or there are made up runes in there (for instance that damn blank rune)
That's what I was thinking.

Although- this gives me cause for a question.

What are some of the best Runic decks out there?

Myself, I am a fan of the Power of The Runes deck. I think the images are great and well suited to the runes themselves.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:51 am
PhantomPhoenix0
Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai

holy crap, they go up to 32.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:19 pm
~blinks~ I can't remember if there is a Futhark based system that goes up that high or not. sweatdrop  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff