Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Knowing your dieties Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Vertigo_Kiwi
But I never meant to say (whether I did or not I can't recall) that ALL texts have been messed with.
You did. I quoted it above.

Quote:
In my little mind because some texts have been changed means that it's difficult for me to trust all of them.
That's guilt by association. Because one text has been changed- all texts might have been changed.

Because one man mugged someone, all men will be muggers.
Vertigo_Kiwi
Alright, I'll agree that many haven't, but there's still the fact that many have.
Which means that if you say "all Closed Traditions" that are based on sacred texts have been changed and are thus invalid- your argument falls apart.

Quote:
And because that many have there is still that possibility that the texts people may be reading are not the texts of their gods, so therefore it is not really what their gods may want.

At which point I'll point out two things:
First- that by virtue of it being a "scripture alone" theology- and that being part of the text- they are indeed reading what their gods want, "altered" the same or otherwise.

Second- you say that just because it might have happened, it has happened, and thus to dismiss all closed traditions as invalid because of that is flawed.

Quote:
But either way, because I'm such a pessimist, I still have that belief what -maybe- even if a text hasn't been altered, it still could have been made up by someone who wanted power. But, that's just how my mind works.
And the key of this whole discussion is just because you dislike a theological position, doesn't mean it invalidates the core of the theology. Further to imply that because you find the core to be invalid you can take and bastardize the parts you do like is insulting.

Quote:
Quote:
At some point you need to start functioning in reality rather than possibility.

If only you knew how true that was! Listen, I know I have a problem with that, that's why I'm on medication to alter my thoughts. That is why I really don't see the point in arguing this anymore, I have a mental disorder which makes me NOT function in reality. (edit: if you don't mind, I'd like to print off that quote and hang it on my wall as a reminder, do I have your permission?)
By all means.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:55 pm

Kayle_M

I figure that's more their problem than mine, though, since the gods I'm with basically chose me, not the other way around.

You don't have the fear of being disrepectful towards that culture? I know I do, which is sometimes why I stop honoring gods. It's sort of a weird thing, I have people telling me it's wrong. Then again I have people who are actually of that culture who don't mind. It's a strange game of tug-o-war. You never find it difficult dealing with all the doubt?

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:00 pm

Vertigo_Kiwi
Does that give him an excuse to take it literally?
Yes.

Don't use terms of endearment with strangers here. It comes off as patronising and insulting.

Quote:
Quote:
Not to mention we aren't exactly in the 1930s any more. The Marx brothers may be fantastic (Just watched The Big Store) but they're also all dead.
Terrible movie, try The Cocoanuts but fast forward through the first 5 minutes.
Um. I've seen them all. Except A Night at Casablanca cuz I haven't got around to it yet. Night at the Opera and Duck Soup are the best. (Ok that was a tad off topic)

Quote:
Please, if I were impersonating anyone it'd be Bettie Page. Let's stop hijacking this thread, and if we must we can take this to PMs. It's not even talking about the original post anymore. Actually, it stopped talking about that a long time ago.
Actually, this is all relevant to the current conversation fork. Trying to back out isn't going to change the fact that you haven't conceded the point that Tea originally called you on.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:05 pm

Quote:
You did. I quoted it above.

Yes, but what I did say and what I meant to say can be two different things. Have you ever had your hands type one thing and your mind think you are typing another? (sometimes like how you end up repeating words or misspelling words)

Quote:
That's guilt by association. Because one text has been changed- all texts might have been changed.

Because one man mugged someone, all men will be muggers.

And with the proper mental history, that can be understandable. For example, when a rape victim fears men.

I never said it was a proper way to think, but it's how I think. As I've stated before, I'm a fluffy bunny except on the opposite spectrum.

Quote:
Which means that if you say "all Closed Traditions" that are based on sacred texts have been changed and are thus invalid- your argument falls apart.

I'm trying to understand this by using specific examples and by rewording it. But it's just not clicking. So, if I said that religion A is based on sacred texts which are invalid, my argument would fall apart? Is that what you were saying?

Quote:
By all means.

Muchos gracias.

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Quote:
Yes.

Don't use terms of endearment with strangers here. It comes off as patronising and insulting.

Eh, I'm just going to give up on saying anything informal to people.

Quote:
Um. I've seen them all. Except A Night at Casablanca cuz I haven't got around to it yet. Night at the Opera and Duck Soup are the best. (Ok that was a tad off topic)

Same here, I own all their movies and watch them religiously. (btw, do you know any place where I can find the "Why A Duck" sequence online, my english teacher is dying to find it.)

Quote:
Actually, this is all relevant to the current conversation fork. Trying to back out isn't going to change the fact that you haven't conceded the point that Tea originally called you on.

If I can even remember that point. Anywho, I never meant for any of it to be specific and I did mean to say "some" not "all" texts. And I also admitted that I have a fluffy habit of not being able to change my thought patterns and therefore almost always being cynical and doubting of things. (which goes beyond religion). So, what does that leave?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Vertigo_Kiwi
And with the proper mental history, that can be understandable. For example, when a rape victim fears men.
And when that happens we take that person to therapy because that isn't rational and further- if an individual acts on that irrational thought, they put themselves in a whole new kind of danger. In a spiritual sense, if you continue to claim some theological practices are invalid because they have prohibitions against outsiders which you disagree with- in certain cases you will put yourself in a different kind of danger (spiritual if not physical).
Quote:

I never said it was a proper way to think, but it's how I think. As I've stated before, I'm a fluffy bunny except on the opposite spectrum.
Which is why this discussion is a good thing.

Quote:

I'm trying to understand this by using specific examples and by rewording it. But it's just not clicking. So, if I said that religion A is based on sacred texts which are invalid, my argument would fall apart? Is that what you were saying?

Let's use Judaism as a specific case. The Sefer Torah is a text that has not been changed over thousands of years.

It has prohibitions against non-Jewish people practicing the mitzvots.

To claim that because The Christian Bible has been altered, that the beliefs of the Jewish People found in the Sefer Torah are invalid is fallacious.

Does that make sense?

TeaDidikai

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:35 pm

Quote:
In a spiritual sense, if you continue to claim some theological practices are invalid because they have prohibitions against outsiders which you disagree with- in certain cases you will put yourself in a different kind of danger (spiritual if not physical).

Yes, I can see this. Which is why I'm starting to think it's easier to just convince myself to be an athiest than anything else.

Quote:
Which is why this discussion is a good thing.

Yes, but my head is so thick even I'd be surprised if this discussion stuck with me.

Quote:
Let's use Judaism as a specific case. The Sefer Torah is a text that has not been changed over thousands of years.

It has prohibitions against non-Jewish people practicing the mitzvots.

To claim that because The Christian Bible has been altered, that the beliefs of the Jewish People found in the Sefer Torah are invalid is fallacious.

Does that make sense?

Thanks, that makes sense. Visual learners should not be allowed on gaia, I swear.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:29 pm

Vertigo_Kiwi

Yes, I can see this. Which is why I'm starting to think it's easier to just convince myself to be an athiest than anything else.
You're welcome to try.

I haven't had a lot of luck in telling myself my gods don't exist. ~Shrugs~ Wish I did sometimes.

But the other way to go about it is to look to cultures who are not Closed Traditions and see who calls to you.

Quote:

Yes, but my head is so thick even I'd be surprised if this discussion stuck with me.
How much you pull from this is completely up to you.

Quote:

Thanks, that makes sense. Visual learners should not be allowed on gaia, I swear.
Meh. That would ban me as well. Just takes some extra effort sometimes.

TeaDidikai

Kayle_M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:51 pm

Vertigo_Kiwi
Kayle_M

I figure that's more their problem than mine, though, since the gods I'm with basically chose me, not the other way around.

You don't have the fear of being disrepectful towards that culture? I know I do, which is sometimes why I stop honoring gods. It's sort of a weird thing, I have people telling me it's wrong. Then again I have people who are actually of that culture who don't mind. It's a strange game of tug-o-war. You never find it difficult dealing with all the doubt?

Actually, no, I don't. In the rare case where someone from that specific culture comes up to me and says, "hey, those are my deities! You can't have them!" or something to that effect (which really IS rare. I've never had anyone bothered by it...), I simply apologize, and then let the subject drop. My reasoning has always been something like this:
-if people get upset about it, it really must mean a lot to them, which I respect.
-I honestly will not change my beliefs just because someone tells me to. I cannot justify that within myself, so I shan't do it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did.
-I can almost guarantee that neither party in a situation like this will be willing to yeild their long-held beliefs. So, I don't think either should.

Were I to ever come across this sort of situation, I would apologize to the person I had offended, and let the subject drop. He could believe whatever he wanted and I would be free to do the same. Isn't that the point of freedom of religion in the first place? I would be sincerely sorry that I had offended him, but at the same point, shouldn't he also be concerned with offending me and my beliefs?

Which brings us to an interesting question: Whose are more important? His or mine? Can we even say?

My answer: both, and neither. Neither of us has more important beliefs than the other, yet both of our beliefs are equally important to ourselves. So, the best solution I can see is to treat each other with mutual respect and find a new topic.

I feel that your beliefs should be your own (and I'm using "your" as the generic second person, not you, yourself, Vertigo Kiwi). I would be against your distancing yourself from chosen deities because of others. If you have been called to them, shouldn't you answer their call? If it offends someone, that is very sad, and very unpleasant. I believe in being respectful above all else. However, that does not mean that you have to compromise your beliefs. Perhaps being diplomatic would be effective? I would be against lying, but would it be completely necessary to bring up such and such a god in the presence of someone you are afraid may take offense? That way both you and your friend who may be offended are permitted to continue on without the confrontation, which is great all around! Non-violence is a great thing.

I do have to say that I have had very few doubts with regards to my deities. I prefer just to trust them. They will tell me when it is time to continue on our separate paths, as they have done in the past (I had an interesting time speaking with Oghma with a druid-in-training friend of mine, for example, which lasted for all of two weeks before it was declared over), and until then, I just have to trust. Being nonconfrontational about whatever gods I'm dealing with at the moment helps, though.

I dunno. That's about it I guess. What about you? You have implied that you have had negative experiences in the past. Would you care to share with me some of those stories? I would be very interested to hear them.

If not, that's okay. I totally understand. The only reason I feel comfortable sharing most of what I have is because this is over the 'net, and I figure people, if not more understanding here, are at least less able to damage me.

Either way, smile . I hope you have a good night!

~Kayle
"It's Nature's Way."
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:49 am

Quote:
You're welcome to try.

I haven't had a lot of luck in telling myself my gods don't exist. ~Shrugs~ Wish I did sometimes.

But the other way to go about it is to look to cultures who are not Closed Traditions and see who calls to you.

The way things are going within my mind (depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.) I think it'd be easy to stop having faith. Then again, I know I've felt that way before and the gods just keep coming back in my life. I almost feel as if I'm being scolded for ignoring them.

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:33 am

Kayle_M

I would be against your distancing yourself from chosen deities because of others. If you have been called to them, shouldn't you answer their call?

That is one idea which enters my mind frequently, and I sometimes wish I would follow it more often. There are times where I literally take a certain gods image off my altar because I feel like I shouldn't honor them, then a few days later put it back on, then take it off again, and I just do that over and over again. It seems that just when I feel like I need to give up a god, they enter my life again.

Quote:
If not, that's okay. I totally understand. The only reason I feel comfortable sharing most of what I have is because this is over the 'net, and I figure people, if not more understanding here, are at least less able to damage me.

I don't feel comfortable sharing anything really. Even conversations over the internet affect me as much as they would if I were having it in real life.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:14 am

Kayle_M

-I can almost guarantee that neither party in a situation like this will be willing to yeild their long-held beliefs. So, I don't think either should.
Contested.

I've seen people who were informed that they were raping a closed culture back off a number of times.

Further- if there are two directly conflicting points, one supported by mental masturbation playing at being UPG and the other supported by canon- it is in the very nature of what a Fluffy Is to ignore facts in favor of personal fiction.

By virtue of this being a Rehab Guild, we see people move away from that kind of behavior on a semi-regular basis.

Quote:
Isn't that the point of freedom of religion in the first place?
No. The point of Freedom of Religion is to prevent people from creating an established theocracy that pretends to be another form of government.

It is also designed to ensure that no physical harm comes to the members of the society and that no practice is prohibited within the direct violation of community laws to the exclusion of the Blue Laws (in most cases).

However- there are things much worse that can be done to a Fluffy that don't involve a violation of the Law. Frying comes to mind.
Quote:

I would be sincerely sorry that I had offended him, but at the same point, shouldn't he also be concerned with offending me and my beliefs?
******** no.
Closed Traditions are closed for a reason. It is to keep people like you from raping a culture, the gods and traditions.

Quote:
Which brings us to an interesting question: Whose are more important? His or mine? Can we even say?
Hell yes we can say.

The authority for the tradition is more important than you mental masturbation and desire to take something you think is pretty and force it into a context it was never ment to be in.

Quote:
I feel that your beliefs should be your own (and I'm using "your" as the generic second person, not you, yourself, Vertigo Kiwi).
I believe I'm a Tree. Don't you dare tell me otherwise!

Come on. At some point a person becomes so open minded that their brain falls out. Welcome to that line.

Quote:
I would be against your distancing yourself from chosen deities because of others.
First- you assume that these are indeed deities and not constructs.
Second- you're not addressing the effectiveness of the relationship. You're removing the context in order to justify personal opinion.

Quote:
If you have been called to them, shouldn't you answer their call?
No. Due to the lack of information- we don't know for sure what is calling.

Quote:
I believe in being respectful above all else.
No you don't.

"I can almost guarantee that neither party in a situation like this will be willing to yeild their long-held beliefs. So, I don't think either should."

That isn't being respectful. It's being thoughtless of the traditions of a Closed Culture.

Quote:
That way both you and your friend who may be offended are permitted to continue on without the confrontation, which is great all around! Non-violence is a great thing.
For a start- Confrontation =/= Violence.

Second, you say confrontation like it is a dirty word. Guess what? Fluffies need confrontation- or they don't learn. Then they languish and wonder why their life is going to hell in a handbasket.

Vertigo_Kiwi
The way things are going within my mind (depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.) I think it'd be easy to stop having faith.
I have yet to meet someone who can turn off faith. But my lack of experience doesn't mean they don't exist.

Quote:
Then again, I know I've felt that way before and the gods just keep coming back in my life.
That is what I have usually heard.

While I have an opinion on this in your case, this isn't the best forum for it.

Quote:
I almost feel as if I'm being scolded for ignoring them.
sweatdrop I can relate to that far too well for my own liking.

TeaDidikai

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:28 am

Quote:
I have yet to meet someone who can turn off faith. But my lack of experience doesn't mean they don't exist.

Not so much turning it off as it is just ignoring it, which is basically a dumb thing to do anyways.

Quote:

Perhaps you shouldn't have said that, it's going to drive my curious mind insane.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:02 am

Vertigo_Kiwi
Quote:

Perhaps you shouldn't have said that, it's going to drive my curious mind insane.
Curosity killed the cat- but satisfaction brought it back.

Besides- that is what PMs are for wink

TeaDidikai

Kayle_M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:22 am

Vertigo_Kiwi
Kayle_M

I would be against your distancing yourself from chosen deities because of others. If you have been called to them, shouldn't you answer their call?

That is one idea which enters my mind frequently, and I sometimes wish I would follow it more often. There are times where I literally take a certain gods image off my altar because I feel like I shouldn't honor them, then a few days later put it back on, then take it off again, and I just do that over and over again. It seems that just when I feel like I need to give up a god, they enter my life again.

Quote:

I don't feel comfortable sharing anything really. Even conversations over the internet affect me as much as they would if I were having it in real life.

Perhaps this continuous cycle should be proof that your gods really do want you? I obviously don't know for certain, but I would hazard to guess that your gods really do desire your company. You seem like such a nice person, how could they not? Maybe they are there trying to say, "Hey! We're here for you, whether you like it or not! We think you're special, and you aren't getting out of this!"

I totally understand not wanting to share. This seems like a very...interesting place, given the other comment I just received. I completely understand. If you would like to talk about anything, though, you are certainly welcome to PM me. If not, no biggie. I just happen to think you're a cool person, and I bet you have some cool stories. smile

Peace out!

~Kayle
"It's Nature's Way"
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out