Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
British views on abortion. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:22 pm
and_solo_said: I know that nothing I'm saying is having any effect on you whatsoever. What you're saying sounds idealistic and I wish the world were so black and white that I could condemn abortion, because every pregnancy would be a wanted pregnancy, and so on, but things don't work that way.

What I'm about to say probably makes me an attention-whore, but I want to personalise the issue (yay!). I suffer with severe clinical depression; I have hallucinated, I've had mild delusions, I have insomnia, suffer with nightmares and I'm paranoid. I'm at a risk of suicide. If I became pregnant now (which is not likely, being a virgin and not being in a relationship at all) I would have to abort. The effect that pregnancy would have on my life would be horrible. I would have to drop out of college until I gave birth and recuperated, I might never get the chance to go back. The break in my education would reflect badly on me to any prospective universities. The depression would magnify this to the point where I would feel like there was no point in carrying on with my life; I know this because smaller things have had the same effect. The hormones would magnify my feelings and probably bring back the delusions and hallucinations. I would kill myself. And even if I didn't, I don't get along with my body. I hate being inside it. The feeling of violation that I'd get from being pregnant and watching my body change, the stigma I'd deal with would probably set back my recovery indefinitely. I know exactly what pregnancy would do to me.

So what's your advice? Never have sex? Ever? What if I'm in a loving and long-term relationship? Never have sex? That's not a realistic option, and it's denying me as a woman the right to have sex due to circumstances which are out of my control. You wouldn't say the same to a man suffering with the same problems.

That is how pregnancy would affect me. However, I can't say that pregnancy won't induce the same effects in a more stable woman, and I can't say that more stable women even with wanted pregnancies wouldn't have to deal with body image issues, mood swings and depression. Pregnancy is not a mild inconvenience. It's more of an inconvenience than giving your kidney, that's for sure.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:03 pm
This post is spam.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Arivel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:13 pm
I'm curious about the title of this thread. Why is it 'Great British' Abortion? Abortion is not Great. And it's not really British either, as it happens all over the world. Just wondering...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:36 am
It was a harsh battle between Indie_chick and I, where she made a thread I did not approve of, and therefore she made this; putting "Great British" in the title to appease me. I then took it one step too far, making "Great British Great British threads", which I believe has been deleted. Quite rightly so. sweatdrop  

Nebelstern
Crew

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:06 pm
The only thing I shall say on this matter is that I truly hope NONE of you are ever in the position when you have to make - or be a part of - this sort of decision. What I would suggest is that some might just stop and THINK for one moment about how carelessly they throw around their own opinion of what is right and wrong. I've seen it on the far-too-numerous threads on this topic to be found in the forums and admit to being somewhat suprised to see it raise its head here.

And one final point. Abortion happens naturally. It's called abortion or often miscarriage. The surgical procedure is referred to as a 'termination' and it might be best to get the two terms straight in your minds. Yes, the use of the word abortion can be applied to the surgical procedure HOWEVER, there are women out there who have gone through a perfectly naturally occurring abortion and grieved over their loss. A little compassion goes a long way, a fact which some appear to have completely failed to grasp.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 am
When I joined this guild, first time I came here ALL of my threads got deleted. I didnt come back for a while.... then i came back here, and Simon was vair rude concerning the way I type. He asked me to make ED-ey threads... so I did.... it's not Great or British but I felt I had to add that. So it'd fit in. Diddums. I love my threads like they were my children... ok, maybe thats taking it a tad too far. just a smidgen.  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:53 am
Indie_Chick
When I joined this guild, first time I came here ALL of my threads got deleted. I didnt come back for a while.... then i came back here, and Simon was vair rude concerning the way I type. He asked me to make ED-ey threads... so I did.... it's not Great or British but I felt I had to add that. So it'd fit in. Diddums. I love my threads like they were my children... ok, maybe thats taking it a tad too far. just a smidgen.

What threads got deleted? I know we lost the intro thread for a couple of days a while back, but as to threads being deleted? Not a clue. And what's the 'Diddums' comment for? ~bemused~  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:01 pm
illyrianth
Indie_Chick

What threads got deleted? I know we lost the intro thread for a couple of days a while back, but as to threads being deleted? Not a clue. And what's the 'Diddums' comment for? ~bemused~
This was rather long ago.... One about thom yorke and matt bellamy.... and errr.... I think 2 others.... meh. whatever.
diddums is in reference to my thread. me all trying hard for him to fit in...  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:08 pm
Oh, that's right...
Suck up to Illy...
smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:45 pm
Nebelstern
Oh, that's right...
Suck up to Illy...
smile

moi? sucking up? never! I dont do such things!  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:47 pm
Indie_Chick
Nebelstern
Oh, that's right...
Suck up to Illy...
smile

Heheh. We all suck up. Sychopancy runs in British blood. 'Tis what makes us cowards... gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:08 pm
Nebelstern
Indie_Chick
Nebelstern
Oh, that's right...
Suck up to Illy...
smile

Heheh. We all suck up. Sychopancy runs in British blood. 'Tis what makes us cowards... gonk
My blood has more sarcasm in it, really.  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:36 pm
Indie_Chick
Nebelstern
Indie_Chick
Nebelstern
Oh, that's right...
Suck up to Illy...
smile

My blood has more sarcasm in it, really.

Haem, plasma, etc. in mine.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:11 am
Leviticus states that if a man helps a woman to abort a baby, he should pay a fine or something similar to that.

Hardly a punishment befitting "murder" if that's what God thought of abortion....

EDIT

It's in Exodus, and states that they should be punished according to how the man feels....  

mildredalien

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:10 pm
Nebelstern
It would do us good to stop all the spamming, you realise. It is verging on CB... stare

Which is why it is all being deleted.

You know, a better solution may be..

*continued in the Council of War*

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games