Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Witches Weekly--Updated July 15th, seriously. -- old topic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aithnea Micheals

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:36 pm
Do you feel those with pagan beliefs should attempt to take more of a political stand?

Not really sure. Personally I feel that Pagans should try to educate those around them and make them understand we're not devil worshipers or anything.

Is paganism openly accepted where you are from? (city,town,state)

Not really. With my friends we are. But then two are already Pagan and I'm looking into it. Yaa! Support group!

Given your beliefs, what's one thing that a political figure could promise to you about your path, that would convince you to vote for them?

To protect the enviorment. That and make going to post secondary cheaper blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:29 am
Do you feel those with pagan beliefs should attempt to take more of a political stand?

I think people in general need to take more of a political stand, not just Pagans. Singling out one group could be disaterous.

I've never had a problem in Normal, but I'm on campus, and I'm quiet about it.
Naperville, IL I had a few difficulties, but nothing like you'd think in a place where there are churches on 1/4 of the street corners.

Given your beliefs, what's one thing that a political figure could promise to you about your path, that would convince you to vote for them?

Freedoms. If I don't want to wear a seatbelt, don't make me. If I want to eat a big fatty hamburger let me, if I want to smoke a joint responsibly, let me (not that I do, its an example). As long as I am responsible, and not infringing on anothers rights or humanities rights, let me. The government should not be as protective as it is. We are not children, the government is not a "noble father".  

maenad nuri
Captain

Meiriona

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:14 pm

MORE?!?! LESS! they make htemselves out to be nutjobs... or some do

Is paganism openly accepted where you are from? (city,town,state) nope nope nope. Just moved out o an intolerant cesspool.

Given your beliefs, what's one thing that a political figure could promise to you about your path, that would convince you to vote for them? complete removal of all religious influance in governing. (we need an atheist running the country damnit)  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:23 pm
Not a pagan, but I can answer these...

Probably. Pagans tend to be liberals/democrats, and liberals tend to vote less than conservatives.

Well, I suppose I, as an atheist, have been accepted, and I'm going to Catholic School. I think the problem with many pagans, especially young ones, is that they feel the need to tell everyone. Frankly, I don't think there's any reason to tell someone unless they ask, or it comes up in a discussion.

Lack of religious bias. An atheist would be nice, an agnostic would be best, but as long as they are tolerant, they can be any religion they want.  

Triste Morningstar

Ess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:59 pm
If they're familiar with politics and are experienced pagans, yes. I wouldn't want fluffies banging on the white house doors.
There's obviously an interest among the youth here, but otherwise then not really. I live in Wisconsin, so...
If he/she could pick religion apart from logic, I'd love them, regardless of what they believe. But I agree with Nuri, we need a less "protective" goverment.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:32 pm
September 05, 2004
Teachers and Training

1. What kind of training (if any) have you had in your chosen spiritual path (workshops, seminary, coven, courses, etc)?

2. Who have been the people who have influenced you the most along your spiritual path?

3. What skills, values, and/or areas of expertise do you seek in a spiritual mentor or teacher?

maenad nuri
Captain

Meiriona

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:12 am
1. What kind of training (if any) have you had in your chosen spiritual path (workshops, seminary, coven, courses, etc)? none and none, I wrok directly with my dieties, and not too often, its very stressing.

2. Who have been the people who have influenced you the most along your spiritual path? who me? Just the gods themselves, I'm in a rejected path at the moment.

3. What skills, values, and/or areas of expertise do you seek in a spiritual mentor or teacher? Well, I seem to have no need for one, but knowledge of everythig gthey attempt to teach is allways a good thing.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:48 am
Nuri
Each week, I will post the new questions from Witches Weekly here, and I invite you all to answer them.

September 05, 2004
Teachers and Training

1. What kind of training (if any) have you had in your chosen spiritual path (workshops, seminary, coven, courses, etc)?

2. Who have been the people who have influenced you the most along your spiritual path?

3. What skills, values, and/or areas of expertise do you seek in a spiritual mentor or teacher?

1. Truthfully I have had little training, it seems that there are very few in my area that would simply like to talk about Paganism without trying to make you buy this and that or try to get money out of you some way or another. You could say about 90% of what I know has been found on my own.

2. The people who have influenced me the most are my Pagan friends. That's not to say that my non-Pagan friends have not influenced me, it's just they were there to lend me a book if I had a question, or direct me to someone who did know if they couldn't provide an answer. If anything, they introduced me to the many different branches of Paganism.

3. I look for enthusiasm, someone who is knowledgeable in not only their religion but others, is non-judgemental, patient, and knows both historical and spiritual sides of their religion.  

Saori Ayusaka

Bondage Gnome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:28 am
Nuri
September 05, 2004
Teachers and Training

1. My chosen spiritual path is a collection of my own philosophies and morals as well as some beliefs from Native teachings, Wicca, Asatru, Buddhism, etc. I have been taught, in a group setting, by a local Wiccan high priestess and one on one by a Chippewa medicine man.
2. My mother, who is as open minded as a person can be, has encouraged me to find my own path rather than sit back and wait. My father, quite the opposite, who made me want to rebel, and my close friends, though they may find me a little odd at times, somehow find it in themselves to support me no matter how crazy I seem.
3. First and foremost, a spiritual mentor or teacher must be willing to admit that he/she does not know everything there is to know. If he/she does not, they themselves probably have more to learn than the student. They must be willing to devote a lot of time to their students, and expect their students to devote even more time to their studies. As far as the skills and areas of expertise, that depends on their own spiritual path.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:14 pm

Not much right now. Mostly reading books, although I have two pagan friends who I get together with to talk. We are considering starting our own coven but that won't be for a while. The first thing we wanna do is have a sort of Pagan Studygroup were we all get together to talk about what we have discovered and how it makes us feel.

My two friends and boyfriend (who is one of the most supportive people I know). Also the books and sites that I'm reading right now.

Good Question. Someone who is supportive and understanding and won't force their ideas or ideals on me. Also someone with a wide range of knowlage.  

Aithnea Micheals

Jameta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:27 pm
Nuri

September 05, 2004
Teachers and Training

1. Other than reading, I have had no training. sweatdrop I really don't think there's any sources that could help either... I could be wrong, but I wuld have difficulty, anyways... *sighs*

2. To be hoenst, my dead great grandmother (she hasn't come to me as a ghost! scream ): she was actually a practicioner, as I'm told by my mother and great aunt. We had an interesting relationship when I was young, and now that I think about it, learning about what she did gives me a sense that we're still together... Bah, I'm being sappy- my mom helps, too, as she learns with me.

3. Personally, I would need someone with an open mind, patience, and a great deal of humor- I work better with people who like looking 'outside of the box', are able to cope with me when I dont' get something right away, and are able to laugh with me about mistakes and stupid notions that I get. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:38 pm
As a Wiccan, I studied with people who were more experienced with me, that didn't take any s**t from me, and encouraged me to challenge the people I met that claimed to know all.
Now I focus on community while learning Hellenic ways. Mostly I shut up and listen, and ask questions when needed.

And Books. I devour reading lists like mad.

Siethman and Traci, two people I met online when I was first starting out.
Now, a list called Hellenic Pagan, with a few people from there. Kyrene, a person on LJ named Father Bob.

I seek people who are more experienced, not just in years, but more in knowledge. I look for degrees, either degrees in Covens when Wiccan, or now advanced degrees (past the high school level).

I also look for a take no s**t attitude, but still openminded. My opinions are going to differ from theirs, but the base knowledge doesn't really change. I should not be allowed to change the basics blindly merely because I want to.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Ges

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:40 pm

I had some basic training when I first started with a Wiccan Priest from the Wiccan Church of Canada, but that wasn't my thing, so thanked him and moved on. I then began working with Rev. Stuart Faulst, who is a Christian Minister, but also an Elder within his tribe, I studied with him in more of his spiritual sense as the Elder and as Laughing Bear of the Eagle Clan. I co-founded the King's Council of Metaphysics, which while I was the leader of it, I still learned a lot from. Some of the better or favourite workshops I've been to are Magic In Music, which was taught by a DJ, who explained how faiths around the world use music, and how you can tell a lot about a religion by how their music is arranged, Sacred Sexuality, nuff said, and Reflections of Reality, which if you are interested in Chaos Magic, was a God send.

Laughing Bear was a great influence for me, though admittedly his beliefs were a bit Christian, which I have no trouble against, I was just looking for more traditional.
Another is Michelle, having read her articles on pagan sites for a long time, growing to respect and admire (my friends say I'm a fanboy), and finally becoming friends with her, it greatly helped. She taught me that people are different, cherish it, and use it.

Area of expertise I'm open around, as I like to sorta Jack of All trades a lot of thing. As for values, open minded is a big thing with me, cause though I've never had any personal trouble, I've heard of other Kin having trouble with people just over their beliefs. So I like them to be open, and at least willing to listen to my beliefs, and even if they don't believe them, accept them as something important, and not something to be held against me. Skills, again, jack of all trades really, so anything can go.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:22 am
September 11, 2004
Mentoring Youths

At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals?

How would you determine if someone was mature enough to mentor?

What qualities in a student would prevent you from mentoring them?

maenad nuri
Captain

RelenaS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:01 am
At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals?

I believe that Any age so long as they are ready. They of course should have had previous practice and need to the maturity and knowledge to hold them, but to place an age on it would be wrong because who can really tell the time when any child will be ready. If you say 13, then some kids would have been ready long before that and some will need more time. I believe its completely individual. As far as rituals go, I don't practice any so I can't say.

How would you determine if someone was mature enough to mentor?

I believe that they need to be well practiced and well knowledgeable to be a mentor. For this I think full adult, of 18 or older would be needed because only with time can you become wise, but once again, individual needs and individual accompliments will always sway the argument.

What qualities in a student would prevent you from mentoring them?

If they simply did not want to learn, or be mentored. If a mentee wants to learn, then they will act like it, same with if they don't want to learn, or have a mentor. I believe that it is up to the mentee if they want to be mentored or not, and if they do, I will work my hardest to mentor and teach them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff