Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Who would/will you vote for? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:11 pm
illyrianth
whapcapn

P.S. Many intelligent people were misled and supported the war, you know.

But most people were not - and have still not been - given the full story about how this whole mess came to be. I honestly believe that Blair was in receipt of all the facts and went ahead solely to benefit Bush. He may not gain politically as such, but what does that matter when one stands to gain financially?

It's no surprise that Iraq had chosen to start selling their oil in Euros instead of dollars and THEN they got invaded. Funnily enough, as soon as oil sales started up again, it had gone straight back to be traded in dollars. Coincidence? I think not.

Tony Blair wouldn't stand to gain anything financially personally, and I fail to see why anything else would interest him if he wasn't Prime Minister any more.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:14 pm
Invictus_88
whapcapn
That's really purely economic. He's just getting himself in the pocket of a president who will be gone in two years time.
It's not a good move to leap to America's side, either; Europe is the way ahead.

No, trust me. It's commonwealth. Commonwealth and empire.

wink heart

Be honest, that's simply not going to happen. Britain is going to have to form stronger economical (and cultural?) links to to have any hope against this gradual American invasion of Britain.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:29 pm
whapcapn
illyrianth
whapcapn

But most people were not - and have still not been - given the full story about how this whole mess came to be. I honestly believe that Blair was in receipt of all the facts and went ahead solely to benefit Bush. He may not gain politically as such, but what does that matter when one stands to gain financially?

It's no surprise that Iraq had chosen to start selling their oil in Euros instead of dollars and THEN they got invaded. Funnily enough, as soon as oil sales started up again, it had gone straight back to be traded in dollars. Coincidence? I think not.

Tony Blair wouldn't stand to gain anything financially personally, and I fail to see why anything else would interest him if he wasn't Prime Minister any more.

After his time as Prime Minister, it will not hurt for him to have fabulously wealthy friends, such as the Bush clan, now will it?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:05 am
illyrianth
whapcapn
illyrianth
whapcapn

After his time as Prime Minister, it will not hurt for him to have fabulously wealthy friends, such as the Bush clan, now will it?

Like hell Bush will stick around when Tony is no longer his puppet  

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:32 am
whapcapn
Invictus_88
whapcapn
That's really purely economic. He's just getting himself in the pocket of a president who will be gone in two years time.
It's not a good move to leap to America's side, either; Europe is the way ahead.

wink heart

Be honest, that's simply not going to happen. Britain is going to have to form stronger economical (and cultural?) links to to have any hope against this gradual American invasion of Britain.

Yes, and make links we shall. Reunification and consolidation of ties within the British Commonwealth is the first step.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:05 am
"European countries, our call is out. We say no to joining the Euro, but in the spirit of friendship and kindred European countries, we offer you a place to join the Pound Sterling."  

Tailos-teichou

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:23 am
Tailos
"European countries, our call is out. We say no to joining the Euro, but in the spirit of friendship and kindred European countries, we offer you a place to join the Pound Sterling."

biggrin

YES!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:07 am
Invictus_88
whapcapn
Invictus_88
whapcapn

wink heart

Yes, and make links we shall. Reunification and consolidation of ties within the British Commonwealth is the first step.

It seems more sensible to have a union of countries on the same continent than various random countries spread over the world, many od whom have virtually no economic power.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:09 pm
It'd make sense to not pay farmers to produce a smaller amount of yield than they can, and wasting whatever excess is produced, but hey, the EU is a bunch of idiots.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:34 pm
Actually, that scheme aids conservation, and increases the amount eearnt by EU farmers who actually produce things. Without that policy, British farming would have gone under long ago.  

and_solo_said

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:03 pm
and_solo_said
Actually, that scheme aids conservation, and increases the amount eearnt by EU farmers who actually produce things. Without that policy, British farming would have gone under long ago.

Reciprocal trade agreements.

Commonwealth nations have many raw materials, but not much food, poor buggers. We have the skill to manufacture hi-tech items and the ability to produce food on a frankly ludicrous scale.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:04 pm
Invictus_88

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Lordy lord, please don't bring that up again. xd  

Nebelstern
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:40 pm
It's fair enough to pay farmers, but it is ridiculous to waste that food -you could, for example, give them a particular amount for producing a certain amount of yield, but not actually try to make them produce less than that amount.
It would benefit many more to not waste food.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:08 am
I have finaly made up my mind. If I could vote, I would vote conservative, as they are the only party who admit to having made mistakes.  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:12 am
and_solo_said
I have finaly made up my mind. If I could vote, I would vote conservative, as they are the only party who admit to having made mistakes.

Liberal Democrats are the only major part that has been positively campaigning. They have always been honest and have not made mistakes. They have played the election well in my opinion.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games