Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
[Discusion] How do people in your area react to yaoi? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you grow up in a place that accepted yaoi/yuri for the most part?
  Completely, yes
  to an extent, but it varies between people
  Not sure
  No, not really
  You'd be smitted for thinking of supporting yaoi openly
View Results

Dabin choi

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:57 pm
I grew up in England, most people don't know what manga, anime shounen ai yaoi and yuri are. However they are still very hostile toward homosexuals, most of them to the point of violence.  
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 pm
Where I live 88.9% are deeply grossed out by homosexuality and anything that contains it. Some of my friends are the same way. But most of my friends just pat me on the head and shove a yaoi into my hands when I start debating morals and politics. A topic I can just go on and on about.  

The Flesh Failure

Akira the Stalker

Loyal Cat

10,250 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:59 pm
not very well because they think of it as disguesting??? i don't know why they do though  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:26 am
Hmm.. most people close to me don't really mind. They know I'm anti-homphobe. They do make jokes about it, but really, they are open-minded. I'm so glad about that~

If someone is really close-minded, I try to make them explain why they dislike gays. Most of the time that makes them shut up because they don't have a valid reason, only 'It's disgusting.'  

Yu-lin

popopbubblegum

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:16 am
Haha. Poeple here are all like "Yaoi? What's that... Is it food?" >3

But even if there suddenly became a boom in yaoi/yuri, people here would feel indifferent. In a 'go on with your lives' kind of way ^^;  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:02 am
People are generally pretty open minded where I live. But then, my school has the largest gay population I've ever seen. Homophobes really aren't tolerated, cuz almost everyone has at least one gay/lesbian pal or classmate. I mean, there are the ignorent bottom-feeders, but they're the minority.

I'm pretty lucky.

Among the anime crowd here, the same prevails. Not everyone likes it, but few actually hate it.  

Gethyn

repetethat

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:24 am
Where I'm from, everyone's pretty open about sexuality. We have a Gay-Straight Alliance at our school and I've never seen nor heard of anyone getting into fights over their sexuality. Actually, the only people I see getting into fights about it are two of my guy friends, but that's just a lover's quarrel most of the time. xd

I'm totally open about my sexuality and everyone accepts me the way I am. I have a couple of friends that have seen me through different eyes ever since I declared my love of men and women...but that's just because they're very religious. They're totally cool with me as long as I don't do anything to creep them out. Yeah, it hurts but I've gotten over it.

I greet all my friends with a kiss on the cheek and a hug everytime I see them... What can I say, I'm just very friendly! The only people who really have problems with homosexuality is the older people in my community. Other than that, there aren't many problems with sexuality where I live.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:01 pm
I live in a tiny Canadian hick town! Most of the people here when they find out about yaoi freak out! They think its gross and my friends and i are prevs for liking it! Of couse they have no problem with yuri, none whatsoever! Its just yaoi they freak out about! Well i didn't grow up in this town but i moved here when i started high school(im in grade 11 now) My friends and i are called freaks and what not but we stand by yaoi and our freaky ways!  

Hitomi~~Kanzaki

experimentme

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:30 am
smite me, oh mighty smitter!!! i love yaoi with my soul!!!
but i did live in a tiny town till just a few years ago. now everything is different. a lot of my friends like yaoi, and i made some of them like it XD!! moving to a bigger school felt really weird, because when i lived in tinytown, everyone hated gays >_> 'cept me and my friends ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 am
i dont really knw...
some people go eek gonk
some go eek heart  

Rejekted_Heart

blood_red_black

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 am
I live in the small town of Halifax Pennsylvania. I don't really know how most of them react but I do know how my friends and family react. I have a lezbian cousin who's 21 and when they found out they were just like ewww but they learned to deal with it. Nobody but my friends know I'm going out with a girl or that I'm bisexual yet and I don't plan to tell them for a while. You see, My one friend Shelby started going out with our Friend Casey and when I found out I was mad because they wouldn't tell me at first but I didn't have a problem about it because I earlier knew that Shelby was bi. Their relationship had to be torn apart though because people started finding out and disriminating them. Then, I realized I had an attraction to two of my very close friends Toni and rissa (Jayden). I had told and asked Toni out but she said she wasn't bi but she was okay with that type of sexuality. Then Jayden found out about me likeing her and she asked me. We too broke up with her explaining that she couldn't love right now. We recently ahd a dance though and me and Jayden got hooked up again as did Sehlby and Casey and we are all happy and could care less about who hated us for it

eek OMG I just did not reveal my love life eek Sorry, It's a bit off topic but what I;m trying to say is that we could care less what everybody else thinks about it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:36 pm
i grew up in glendale AZ and i know that most the people there are 100% agenst yaoi.Once my prents found out they split up and put me in a foster home now i'm 16 and my freinds dont mind me beeing gay they compleatly understand and support me actualy  

TwistedMoral

ushah

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:16 pm
I live in Poland and homophobia is quite a big problem here. :/ The country has about 90% catholics, so... It tells everything, doesn't it? ^^
But really, most of young people I know are quite tolerant. I personally don't know anybody aged less than 30 yrs old who would be really against yaoi or yuri. They usually say "your preferences are up to you, it's not my business". I know quite much yaoi-otaku's too, though. wink
The problem lies in the older people, who tend to be quite discriminating towards homosexuals - especially the old ladies, sitting 24/7 in churches and listening to "radio maria"... I'm still not sure how my parents would react, if they knew that I'm bisexual. When I once suggested it, my dad went growling. xd :

The next problem is the government... Much much nationalistic (even if they say they aren't) and discriminating. ._. They don't even want to let people organise "equality parades", let's forget about any rights like official partnership. Gosh, it's sometimes horrible. :/ I only hope that in a few years most of the old churchloving ladies will die and some more tolerating people will get the chance to vote. ^^

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Most people where I live in Iowa are open minded to it. well relatively speaking. If you are gay and are open about they don't form a lynch mob but you'd get alot of religious fanatics knocking on your door Saturday morning trying to 'fix' you. Unless you like tormenting these overzealous freaks, people that are different tend to move into the country or closer to the city Or not be as open about it. Sadly in small towns you'd be suprised what people seem to know about you. -_-'  

Oni-Neko

The Dark Ninja Gackt

3,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:13 pm
They don't even know what that word is over here crying  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff