Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Recommended Reading List Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mykellex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:14 pm
I read the Golden Bough to read into the rites Bradley used in The Mists Of Avalon I was amazed at all the magical history that was compiled in the pages. I have yet to read the whole thing, I just read the Fire Rites, and the seclusion of women at puberty, oh as well as the marriage to the land. I can't wait until I finally get to purchase my own copy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:41 pm
I borrowed a book from a friend called The Secrets of Ancient Witchcraft with the Witches Tarot by Arnold and Patricia Crowther, with an introdution by Dr. Leo Louis Martello. I'm reluctant to read it because two of the books in the bibliography are by Margaret Murray and I have heard that all of her theories were disproved.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Aesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:55 pm
Aesi
"Learning Ritual Magic" by John Michael Greer, Claire Vaughn, and Earl King Jr.

This book is an outstanding introduction to meditation, a discipline sorely lacking in most magical educations currently. It is extremely thorough and not a mere technical manual, but offers valuable theory and analogies, and Hebrew translation notes.

When the authors describe the Qabalistic Cross, they define the Hebrew terms and give a good explanation of how to vibrate special words.

o0 It had already been recommended! You have good taste, Gideon.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:38 pm
Mykellex
I read the Golden Bough to read into the rites Bradley used in The Mists Of Avalon I was amazed at all the magical history that was compiled in the pages. I have yet to read the whole thing, I just read the Fire Rites, and the seclusion of women at puberty, oh as well as the marriage to the land. I can't wait until I finally get to purchase my own copy.

Okay, I have a really stupid question here. I know that you are not suggesting it, but I have seen several places on other websites, especially recently, where "The Mists of Avalon" is used as source material, the basis for a "trad", or even a resource manual. I read this book years ago, and for what it was - a retelling of the main Arthurian tale from a different perspective - it was well done. However, so far as I was able to tell, it is, was and always will be fiction. It does not even attempt to insinuate that it is a factual story, no less some sort of reference or guide.

Am I missing something?  

Dulliath

Aesi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 pm
Probably not. I'd consider it in the same class as the "Super Magic" proposed in the Pathways Subforum. It's as valid a source for modern mythologies. Though I'd have doubts about people who take it as a literal interpretation of the ancient story. It is fiction, after all, not a research essay.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:21 am
Please read anything from Doreen Valiente. (Especially ABC of Witchcraft and Witchcraft for tomorrow)
Or Patricia Crowther with "Lid of the cauldron"
If you enjoy natural magic (or something that might be simulair) Please read Marion Green. "A witch on her own" or "Natural Magic"
I enjoy Paddy Slade and if you want a laugh, read Julia Day's "Patchwork of magic"

And if you want to know more about the history, Hutton, Graves, Murrey, and Frazer are all a good read. Read Hutton first, then you know what to look out for in Murreys and Graves work. Read them with eyes unclouded by ignorance.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:04 pm
Aesi
Aesi
"Learning Ritual Magic" by John Michael Greer, Claire Vaughn, and Earl King Jr.

This book is an outstanding introduction to meditation, a discipline sorely lacking in most magical educations currently. It is extremely thorough and not a mere technical manual, but offers valuable theory and analogies, and Hebrew translation notes.

When the authors describe the Qabalistic Cross, they define the Hebrew terms and give a good explanation of how to vibrate special words.

o0 It had already been recommended! You have good taste, Gideon.

Thanks. wink

Aesi

Probably not. I'd consider it in the same class as the "Super Magic" proposed in the Pathways Subforum. It's as valid a source for modern mythologies. Though I'd have doubts about people who take it as a literal interpretation of the ancient story. It is fiction, after all, not a research essay.

I need to seriously overhaul that, actually. The way I look at it is that by invoking godforms we're trying to put ourselves in touch with the part of the psyche that deals in archtypes and so we might as well tap into ones that we know rather than spend hours trying to connect with something you don't. I'll try to get back to it sometime soon if possible.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am
I noticed a Dion Fortune book mentioned in the OP, and was wondering if anyone had thoughts or comments on her "Psychic Self-Defense" book or her in general. It's been sitting in a box of mine for years as "to be read someday" and I just rediscovered it. Thanks!  

Sevendreams

Warmdarksky

Beloved Lunatic

8,800 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:22 am
I'd reccommend Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom From the Elders to anybody, especially new Pagans. It's not a book about magic per se, but a collection of essays on topics covering everything from ethics and basics, to group organization and social responsibility!.. Authors include- Kristin Madden, Starhawk, Raven Grimassi, Dorothy Morrison, Amber K, Grey Cat, Graham Harvey, Kirk White, M. Macha Nightmare, Azrael Arynn K, Oz, Freya Aswynn, Kerr Cuhulain, Tehom, and Gus diZerega. (Phew!! And those are just the ones listed on the cover 3nodding ) Good read.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:02 pm
So Buckland's not on the hatelist? Good, I just preordered two of his books, as well as Monroe's Adventures Out of the Body. =D So, there's three others I was wondering about, two of which I have, the third I'm interested in.

Witchcraft: Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles
Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin
Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality and Natural Enchantment by Poppy Palin

Darin Rosewood

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:31 am
The Paradigmal Pirate, by Joshua Wetzel
Seizing Power: Reclaiming Our Liberty Through Magick, by Stephen Mace  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:20 pm
Darin Rosewood
So Buckland's not on the hatelist? Good, I just preordered two of his books
He's on mine- the racist b*****d.  

TeaDidikai

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:47 pm
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
So Buckland's not on the hatelist? Good, I just preordered two of his books
He's on mine- the racist b*****d.
Racist? How? >_< Darin does not like racism.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:21 pm
The Art of War, by Sun Tzu
The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi
Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tsu
The Book of Results, by Ray Sherwin  

Tsuzuki

walkingundine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 pm
Please let me know if this isn't the right place for this post... I'm interested in reading up on kitchen-witchery. Can anyone point me at a decent book or two?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff