Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Mythology I ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm
Amata Harlowe
Professor of Mythology // Mythology Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excited
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'So many students this year... I'll hardly know what to do with myself!
═════════════════════════════════

User Image

Amata smiled widely. This was excellent. They were participating in the best possible way. She knew now exactly how she wanted to run this class for the remainder of the year. Provided they all did their reading, there wouldn't be much trouble with having to catch them all up on topics. She clapped her hands. "Excellent. Miss Aldred, you are absolutely correct. The Bard's stories transcend age, and they speak differently to different people, and although the base message in each is the same now matter how you say it, there are various lessons to learn from the smallest details. We will get into that more next lesson when we start on the stories themselves." She smiled and turned to the Hufflepuff girl, taking a moment to read her sheet again and get her name. She offered her an encouraging look, noting the blush. "Miss Blythe, interestingly enough, the book you mentioned was actually written by my mother. The theory is one that she, and several close friends, spent ages poring time into research to develop. They had hoped to be able to prove it, but as of yet the evidence isn't concrete enough. It's all speculation. And yet, with everything that he teaches us, you are absolutely right; we know next to nothing about him. Look at your notes! Aside from the obvious, there is very little concrete information I've been able to give you." Finally, she looked to the Ravenclaw boy, making note of his name as well. "And Mr. Flinker, the thing I find more interesting than the fact that his tales were destroyed is that, in spite of all the acts to destroy or alter them by the anti-muggle minds of the time, they managed to survive. I think it's a beautiful thing. They held such power, that people kept telling them, behind closed doors, for centuries. We can today read an almost identical version to the one first written. For all the attempts by those with hatred in their hearts, acceptance and love prevailed. A beautiful though to have in such trying times." She glanced at the clock and turned back to her students, her smile wide. "We're out of time for today, but I look forward to next lesson. We'll be discussing The Fountain of Fair Fortune, my favorite tale, so be sure to read it so you'll be able to participate. Each student who has something to say gets five House Points. Which reminds me, for your contributions today, five points to Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw." Amata waved her wand gently, and the homework wrote itself out on the board. "Be sure to make note of the Homework, it will be due before next lesson. Please drop it off at my office next door. Have a wonderful week, everyone!"

(( OOC: ))

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

Lesson completed and closed.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers. Also, read The Fountain of Fair Fortune, page 20 in your textbook. Be ready to discuss it next lesson.

Homework should be turned in to Professor Harlowe's office between now and the closing of Lesson 2.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm
Amata Harlowe
Professor of Mythology // Mythology Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excited
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'This lesson should prove interesting...'

User Image

Amata entered the room, humming a simple little tune that had been stuck in her head since she'd woken up. She was rather looking forward to this lesson. It would be the first time she got to have a discussion on one of the stories with more than one student. The first time she'd get to listen to students discuss. It was exciting. She waved her wand so that the notes would write themselves onto the board and sat down to wait on her students. She smiled a little mischievously at her plans for the lesson. She wanted them to open the discussion, so she was offering incentive. Someone had to speak first, after all. She wondered how long the class would remain quiet before one of the students decided to say something.

Quote:
Lesson Two: The Fountain of Fair Fortune
          Summary: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight.

Controversy: This tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

Once you've written down the notes, begin discussing to story with your classmates. First person to speak up will receive 10 house points. Each person to contribute after that will receive 5. If you are unfamiliar with the story, please open your book and read it now. You will be docked 5 House Points for not doing the reading prior to class.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:04 pm
Adalaide Blythe
Hufflepuff // Third Year // Mythology Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Happy
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I love this story...'
CURRENTLY// single // crushing // loving

User Image

Ada entered the lesson, surprised to see that she was the first to arrive. She supposed it wasn't overly surprising, since she was just about right on time, but she'd gotten so used to being a bit behind everyone else that it felt weird to walk in and see no one but the professor. She offered the woman a small smile as she sat down and started taking notes. She was excited for this lesson. This story was her favorite. Of all of them, it was the one that had the most hopeful, happy message, at least to her. She remembered reading it in History last year and really connecting to the message at the end. All anyone needed was a little push in the right direction. You didn't need magic; you just needed some support. She'd had a lot more confidence in herself since then, she thought. When she read the note at the end of the lesson, she bit her lip. Discussion. Not surprising, but she couldn't help but wonder if the trouble would start today. Damien was in this lesson, after all, and the story included the witch Amata falling in love with a muggle knight. Surely he would have something to say about that... or maybe not, she thought. He was friends with Marina, now, after all. She then looked at the board again, and giggled. The witch who fell for the muggle's name was Amata... so was their professor's. And she'd mentioned her mother writing a book on Beedle the Bard last class... how funny. She wondered why her mother had chosen that particular name.

User Image

Monday: Mythology I Tuesday: Free Wednesday: Defense III, Astronomy III Thursday: Ghost Studies I, Transfiguration III Friday: Muggle Mythology I, Divination I, History III, Alchemy I

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm
Damien Warren Edgeworth
Slytherin // Third Year // Mythology Classroom // Wearing
CURRENTLY WITH // No one
CURRENTLY FEELING // Calm
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Good thing I remembered to read before class.'
CURRENTLY// single // crushing // loving

User Image

Damien walked in quietly and took a seat on the opposite side of the room from Adalaide, immediately taking out his parchment to copy the notes. When he saw that they would be docked house points for not reading the story before class, he smirked. Good thing he'd remembered to do so right before class. It was fresh in his mind, no need to pull out his book. Still, he did so, just in case. Once the notes were written, he folded his hands on the desk, waiting. It wouldn't do to start the discussion with just the two of them there. He needed to wait on Marina and the Ravenclaw boy to show up first. Wouldn't want to have an unfair advantage. And Adalaide couldn't have started the discussion already, since she'd been the only one here. Besides, he wasn't really sure what to say. Instead, he opened the book to the correct page, careful not to look like he was just now reading the story. As far as he knew, Slytherin was in the lead. It wouldn't do for him to lose points. He briefly noticed something that had gone completely over his head until now, that the Professor shared a name with the love forlorn witch in the story. It seemed appropriate. She did seem like the romantic type.

User Image

Schedule: Tran, DADA, Ast, Herb, Char, Pot, HoM

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm
I'll SEEK you OUT
FLAY you ALIVE
One more WORD and you won't SURVIVE
And I'M not SCARED
Of your STOLEN POWER
I SEE right through you any HOUR
I'm TAKING it SLOW
FEEDING my FLAME
Shuffling the CARDS of your GAME
And JUST in TIME
In the RIGHT PLACE
Suddenly I will PLAY my ACE

MARINA EUGENIE ALDRED
PROUD HALFBLOOD
SLYTHERIN THIRD YEAR
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I won't soothe your pain: | I won't ease your strain: | You'll be waiting in vain: | I got nothing for you to gain: |

Marina rushed into class, hurriedly taking a seat next to Damien. She'd fallen asleep reading in the Common Room, and had woken to realize that if she didn't hurry, she was going to be late. So she'd ran all the way here. Her breathing was hitched, and she just sat there silently, waiting for her heart to stop racing. Why did this school have to have so many staircases?! The redhead self consciously smoothed down her hair, and it parted a bit, revealing the purple bruise on her cheek. Oblivious, she started getting out her book.

Prejudice is stubborn and ignorance is hard.

EYES on FIRE
Your SPINE is ABLAZE
Felling any FOE with my GAZE
And JUST in TIME
In the RIGHT PLACE
STEADILY emerging with GRACE
Ahh, felling any FOE with my GAZE
Ahh, STEADILY emerging with GRACE
Ahh, felling any FOE with my GAZE
Ahh, STEADILY emerging with GRACE

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm

User Image

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe
Mythology Professor // Former Gryffindor // Wearing in her classromspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // No onespacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Excitedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oooh, so many students, how did I get so lucky?' spacespac

Amata Harlowe was bursting with excitement as she readied herself for the first Mythology 1 lesson of the year. For the second term in a row, she had multiple students in her class. And for a professor who'd had none at all her first year and only one her second, that was something to be very, very excited about. She clapped her hands together in anticipation before taking out her wand and giving it a wave, the first lesson of the new term writing it's self out on the board. Amata then turned to her desk, readying it for the new students. She took a stack of papers out of the drawer and laid it out for the students to pick up and fill out for her. She hoped they would arrive soon. She was incredibly eager to meet the new batch of third years.

Quote:
Lesson One: Beedle the Bard
          The Man:
              • Born in Yorkshire in the 15th century.
              • Author of many of the wizarding world’s most well-known and famous folktales.
              • Little is known of the man or his personal life.
              • Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
              • He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
              • His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
              • There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as ‘The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
              The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
              The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
              The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 pm
User Image
User Image
▶ Despite the lies that you're making, your love is mine for the taking ◀
▶ My love is just waiting to turn your tears to roses ◀

╒═════════════════════════════╕

cнᴀɴcᴇ sat in a random seat and turned to face the front of the room. His professor was there, but she hadn't said anything yet. Should he introduce himself? Nah. She'll figure out who he is in time. There were notes on the board, so he took out a fresh piece of parchment and a quill to write them down. Beedle the Bard was their first lesson. As Chance took notes, he pondered them silently in his head. For a man that no one knew much about, he seems pretty important. He liked muggles and disliked pureblood elitists. Somehow, the Ravenclaw wondered what the Bard would think of him. He wasn't a blood elitist, but he sure was strange. I mean, a Ravenclaw wearing a Gryffindor scarf for two years, going on three? That was pretty odd, it didn't matter who you were. Would the Bard write a story about him? 'The Identity-Challenged Wizard' He could see it now... At the bottom of the notes was his assignment. An essay? On the first day? Well, this professor sure was different than his other ones. She wanted to challenge them. Chance smirked. 'Challenge accepted.'

╘═════════════════════════════╛

▶ No, you'll never be alone ◀
▶ When darkness comes you know I'm never far ◀
▶ Hear the whispers in the dark ◀

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 pm
User Image
User Image
You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes
Yeah, you fight dirty, like a b*tch
I would know
~*~
And you always think
Always speak cryptically
I should know
That you're no good for me

Third YearGryffindorThirteenPureblood

'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up and you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white

↰⇞⇘↶↾↜↲↫↪↺↭↻↩↬↳↝↿↷⇙⇟↱
Romy sat in the front, then made sure to pay attention. This was the only class thus far where he would have homework, so the bespectacled boy promised himself he'd get it done as soon as he could! Essays were usually easy for him, particularly ones on people he knew about! This would be a piece of cake! Whoo!
↰⇞⇘↶↾↜↲↫↪↺↭↻↩↬↳↝↿↷⇙⇟↱
We used to be just like twins, so in sync
The same energy now's a dead battery
Used to laugh 'bout nothing
Now you're plain boring
I should know
That you're not gonna change
~*~
Someone call the doctor
Got a case of a sweet bipolar
Stuck on a rollercoaster
Can't get off this ride

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'Oooh, so many students, how did I get so lucky?' spacespac

The Professor smiled widely at her two newest students, clapping her hands together and sitting on the edge of her desk. "Hello, boys, and Welcome to Mythology! My name is Professor Amata Harlowe, and you can call me whatever you like so long as it is not rude and is preceeded by my title of 'Professor.' Now then, I have a short form I'd like you both to fill out for me, just so I have something on record to remember you both by, and to help me organize my lessons as best I can for the both of you." She flicked her wand, her expression sheepish because she had, once again, forgotten to let the students know about their sheet to fill out and give her. Two papers flew from her stack onto the boy's desks. When they were finished filling them out, she said, "Now then, I'd like it very much if we could open a discussion on Beedle the Bard. Feel free to be as open as you like with your opinion, as there really are no wrong answers. What do you find interesting about him, what do you wonder about him?" Since there was so little to really know about Beedle the Bard, Amata liked to make it a point to let the students discuss him, rather than calling them in to give a couple of notes and then dismiss them ten minutes later. Besides that, it was good for them to get to talk about things, make their own decisions and form their own opinions.

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

BeaterBeast525

Timid Werewolf

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm
User Image
User Image
▶ Despite the lies that you're making, your love is mine for the taking ◀
▶ My love is just waiting to turn your tears to roses ◀

╒═════════════════════════════╕

cнᴀɴcᴇ read over the form before picking up his quill to fill it out. With the form completed, he stood to take it to the professor. As he sat back down, he blew a piece of his red hair back to where it belonged. A discussion? Sure. He could do that. "I'm surprised the Pureblood wizards at the time didn't kill him for his stories, since they had such a 'high opinion of non-magical folk'. But I think he had a good thing going for him. I mean, the bit about his heroes not being the strongest, but the kindest or the one with the most common sense or whatever, I think that's a good message." Chance crossed his arms and sat back in his chair, glancing to the other boy, wondering what he would put into this discussion.

╘═════════════════════════════╛

▶ No, you'll never be alone ◀
▶ When darkness comes you know I'm never far ◀
▶ Hear the whispers in the dark ◀

Name: Chance Carlson
House: Ravenclaw
Year: Third
Blood Status: Pureblood
Curriculum: Nothing, really. That's why it's your job to teach me.
Something interesting about you: I speak Welsh fluently.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe

Amata took the boy's forms when they finished filling them out, smiling widely as she listened to Chance's answer to her questioning. She nodded along with his words, clapping her hands when he was finished. "A very excellent point, that they didn't kill him. It's a wonder they didn't, right? Because at the time, such things were hardly as big a deal as they are now. Prosecution for such crimes would have been nonexistent, with the powerful wizards of the time being anti-muggle. And yet, he escaped the hangman's noose, as it were. Why? How? I believe it can be assumed, from the magic he wrote of in his tales, and the fact that he was essentially fearless in terms of the danger he put himself in, that the Bard was an impressive wizard. And yet, he placed such emphasis on the fact that power was not the key to happiness. A wise man, I think." She glanced at her newly acquired watch, noting the time, and smiled. 'I think that wraps the lesson up nicely, yes? Um..." A quick look at Chance's form on her desk before she said, "Ten points to Ravenclaw for your participation, Mr. Carlson, and I will see you both next week!"

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:57 pm

User Image

Lesson completed and closed.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers. Also, read The Fountain of Fair Fortune, page 20 in your textbook. Be ready to discuss it next lesson.

Homework should be turned in to Professor Harlowe's office between now and the closing of Lesson 2.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff