Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Cadian IG Restoration/Tallarn Conversion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am
Vikki Stardust
Personally I wouldn't use black lines for the clothing, it's a bit too contrasting and makes it look a bit too cartoony. Brown wash or a slightly watered down light brown paint would work much better in complimenting it. Also, the exposed metal bits of the gun might benefit from a black wash followed by a light drybrush of a lighter metal, maybe silver.
Hmm, I can try tracing the folds in brown ink or flesh wash instead of black ink. I was deliberately going for high contrast on a very light fabric, as I've gotten some negative feedback on the style of wash I did on other fabrics, but I still want to highlight the detail.

What about the rest of the color scheme, or the head itself?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am
DarkElf27
Vikki Stardust
Personally I wouldn't use black lines for the clothing, it's a bit too contrasting and makes it look a bit too cartoony. Brown wash or a slightly watered down light brown paint would work much better in complimenting it. Also, the exposed metal bits of the gun might benefit from a black wash followed by a light drybrush of a lighter metal, maybe silver.
Hmm, I can try tracing the folds in brown ink or flesh wash instead of black ink. I was deliberately going for high contrast on a very light fabric, as I've gotten some negative feedback on the style of wash I did on other fabrics, but I still want to highlight the detail.

What about the rest of the color scheme, or the head itself?
You mean this guy? User ImageTo be totes fair, this is an example of how not to wash a model. sweatdrop Not unless you give it another coat of paint and leave the wash showing thru in the deepest recesses and lines.

Okay, say you paint your cloth khaki, give it a 50/50 wash of brown with water, then use a damp brush to move the wash into the recesses and keep it from pooling, then give the cloth a drybrush of khaki, followed by a lighter drybrush of khaki mixed with.. a drop of white or a creamy colour, like that bone stuff.

The rest is fine, tho those eyes are a bit creepy. sweatdrop  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 pm
Vikki Stardust
To be totes fair, this is an example of how not to wash a model. sweatdrop Not unless you give it another coat of paint and leave the wash showing thru in the deepest recesses and lines.

Okay, say you paint your cloth khaki, give it a 50/50 wash of brown with water, then use a damp brush to move the wash into the recesses and keep it from pooling, then give the cloth a drybrush of khaki, followed by a lighter drybrush of khaki mixed with.. a drop of white or a creamy colour, like that bone stuff.

The rest is fine, tho those eyes are a bit creepy. sweatdrop
Well to be honest, I'm on the other end of the pendulum swing, and I'm trying to avoid washing to significant extent. On my next model, I'll try doing the lines in brown instead of black to ease on the 'cartoony' contrast a bit, and post it to compare. Right now I've been busy with painting on a much larger scale, that being my bathroom and front porch. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Mostly done with my second prototype, but unfortunately it will be my last project before packing up and moving. UK, here I come!  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 pm
As promised, here are the shots of the second prototype. The lines are in brown ink instead of black, the collar is shorter, and the headdress is longer (with some cloth distortion, instead of being flat).

User Image

Also comparisons between the first and second. The one on the left is the new one.

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:22 pm
Much better shading! wink  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:13 am
She's right, when you look at the mini from a distance (Yes, I got up from behind my desk and took half a dozen paces backwards) it looks splendid. The black lines across the face are perhaps a bit harsh, but other than that it works and shows off an effective colour palette that does not clash or contrast.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am
Hardly worth the update, but here's an updated prototype mini. The major changes are the addition of a lowered facemask/shemagh and the molding of a cloth belt over the standard, leather belt. Trying to diverge some from the Cadian appearance, and make it look a bit more like proper desert raiders.

User Image  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 am
An interesting direction to take your minis into. Can't wait to see a painted prototype with your changes.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 pm
Lady Blodwynn
An interesting direction to take your minis into. Can't wait to see a painted prototype with your changes.
I've another couple changes I'm putting into the first full squad of Tallarn. I ordered some Bald Heads from Mad Robot Miniatures to free-sculpt the shemaghs onto, and they are every bit as detailed as they are on the photo. No bubbles in the resin, very high-quality casts; I will order from them again.

I also found a couple old Wood Elf Glade Guard capes, and ordered another set from BW bits (reference link and photo here) to use as well. I hollowed the back of it slightly, and filed the quiver flat. Originally I was going to put ammo packs, canteens, and grenades in place of the quiver, but I don't know how well that will work, so I also trimmed down a Catachan sheathed knife to resemble a sheathed curved blade, more fitting for Tallarn. This is the right size to put over the quiver, and looks decent, adding to the theme.

Last but not least, my wife found and ordered some Humbrol Hobby Spray, which is an acrylic spray paint designed specifically for models and crafts, fairly cheap at 4 quid a can, and comes in over a hundred colors, including Desert Tan, which matches the cloth on my current prototypes.

Making tons of progress, but saving pictures for when I have the full squad converted. Working tons with Greenstuff, and getting quite a bit better with practice. smile  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm
Photo updates, for the remaining guardsmen to fill a full squad of Tallarn.

Bodies, one from scratch and 6 beheaded from Cadian counterparts (sorry Mac), then greenstuffed up with:

-Lowered facemask/shemagh
-Cloth belt
-Cloth ties on weapons

User Image

Heads, based from Mad Robot Miniatures bald heads, with a variety of coverings to add some spice to the unit, some raised and some lowered facemasks. I took a cast of the winged skull from Cadian helmets and transfered it onto the bands of the new heads so they keep their Imperial appearance.

User Image

Greenstuff is still drying, but tomorrow, I will add the heads to the miniatures in suitable fashion and take individual shots.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm
Now to make a form of this heads, and replicate them for another minis smile  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:58 am
I like where this is going, can't wait to see a fully painted squad!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 am
Wodzu
Now to make a form of this heads, and replicate them for another minis smile
I'm going to wait to make casts of these until I've done the next batch. The emblems are very thick on the front of the head because they were attached after the whole band was sculpted. Next time, I'll attach the emblem directly to the head, and then sculpt the band from the edges, and hopefully it won't stick out as much.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 am
Lady Blodwynn
I like where this is going, can't wait to see a fully painted squad!
I'll be attaching the heads tonight, and then priming them with Desert Tan. 3nodding  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff