Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Sisters of Battle... because I've been brainwashed x.x;; Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 am
ArletaMagic
DarkElf27
Are you gonna post an update with your magnetized weapons? Hmmmmm?

Stinkyface. Yes, I'll be posting step by step photo references of how to magnetize the second turret. Granted that it doesn't go as badly as the first

Tip, pre-color the sides where the magnets sticks together.
Learned that the hard way. gonk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 am
Asmondai
ArletaMagic
DarkElf27

Stinkyface. Yes, I'll be posting step by step photo references of how to magnetize the second turret. Granted that it doesn't go as badly as the first

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 am
Volan d Vol
You know nobody around where I live actually plays the Sisters, I kind of wish someone would do it, I thought about it but since GW hasn't made anything solid on them after the first try...And I don't know how well everyone would do with custom rules.

You mean the Acts of Faith? Its alot easier played out than it is in theory, staring at a codex. I've not played many games with them, mostly construction of an army for a doubles tourney for me and DE, but its not nearly as bad as it looked on paper  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 am
ArletaMagic
Asmondai
ArletaMagic
DarkElf27

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?
I think he means touch one side of the magnet up with a marker or a dot of paint. ninja  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am
Vikki Keeler
ArletaMagic
Asmondai
ArletaMagic
DarkElf27

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?
I think he means touch one side of the magnet up with a marker or a dot of paint. ninja

3nodding 3nodding 3nodding 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 am
Asmondai
Vikki Keeler
ArletaMagic
Asmondai
ArletaMagic
DarkElf27

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?

I must confess, I don't understand the need to pre-color the magnets... not that they wont be because I intend to spraypaint the pieces... but why would it be a big deal to -not- color them?  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:52 am
ArletaMagic
Asmondai
Vikki Keeler
ArletaMagic
Asmondai

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?

I must confess, I don't understand the need to pre-color the magnets... not that they wont be because I intend to spraypaint the pieces... but why would it be a big deal to -not- color them?
So you know the plus and minus side of each magnet and don't end up with two bits that need to go together but don't want to, like Bats and Joker. wink  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 am
Vikki Keeler
ArletaMagic
Asmondai
Vikki Keeler
ArletaMagic
Asmondai

Pre-color? Whatcha mean?

So you know the plus and minus side of each magnet and don't end up with two bits that need to go together but don't want to, like Bats and Joker. wink

AHA no. The way I did it, its impossible to do that. I had a column of magnets, and after i glued two to the turret, I added two more to attract to the ones already in the turret. once they were attracted to the magnets in the turret, i put glue into the holes on the weapons, positioned the holes over the magnets that were already sticking to the turret, pushed down so the magnet would stay glued into the weapon, and then slide the magnet and weapon off the turret. Fool proof that way. LOL  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:23 am
ArletaMagic

AHA no. The way I did it, its impossible to do that. I had a column of magnets, and after i glued two to the turret, I added two more to attract to the ones already in the turret. once they were attracted to the magnets in the turret, i put glue into the holes on the weapons, positioned the holes over the magnets that were already sticking to the turret, pushed down so the magnet would stay glued into the weapon, and then slide the magnet and weapon off the turret. Fool proof that way. LOL

Tht´s what I thought. emo  
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 pm
Asmondai
ArletaMagic

Tht´s what I thought. emo

-patpat- Well, that's because the world is against you 4laugh

Kidding.

If you did it that way, they should have worked... I did screw it up the first time, but only because I had the weapons upside down... and because they were upsidedown, thus, they were backwards.  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm
Out of curiosity, what is a good place to get magnets for that kind of work? I'd certainly like to try magnitizing things on any models I end up getting later, I've been avoiding finishing my Land Raider because I'm not sure if I want to just glue the hatches on.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 am
Volan d Vol
Out of curiosity, what is a good place to get magnets for that kind of work? I'd certainly like to try magnitizing things on any models I end up getting later, I've been avoiding finishing my Land Raider because I'm not sure if I want to just glue the hatches on.
Here are the ones we got. 100 magnets for a pretty decent price, quite strong.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 am
DarkElf27
Volan d Vol
Here are the ones we got. 100 magnets for a pretty decent price, quite strong.

As my husband said, they are quite strong, and with a pin vice you can use a 3/32" drill bit to make a perfect sized hole. Just make sure its deep enough, because you want it be flush with whatever you're doing.  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 pm
Thought I'd show how I Magnetized the turret. I didn't include pictures of ALL the steps, as some are fairly self explanatory, but here we go.

First, these are all the tools I used. Superglue, Pin Vice with a 3/32" drill bit, magnets, Hobby knife (not shown because I'm a dork) and all the things you want to magnetize. I'm magnetizing the weapons to the turret of an Immolator.

User Image  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:18 pm
First, take your hobby knife and cutt off the tabs that stick out on the immolator. For other projects, there may not be tabs that stick out, but in the case ot the turret, the weapons can snap on or off with holes that are in the backs of the weapons over tabs that are on the Immolator. Most people glue these together so they are immoveable, but when placed together, they look flush. If you try to put the magnet on the end of this tab, your weapons would stick out from the turret by a noticeable distance.

Cutting these off will take time and patience, even with a sharp blade. My finger has chunk cut out of it from this, but I'm clumsy. After the pieces are flat, take the tip of your hobby knife and create a pilot hole for where you want your drill bit to go. This will make the drilling process much easier.

User Image  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces