Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
The religions also break down along current-nationality lines. I'm an East Coast USian and Asatru is different both in different sides of the oceans and on different sides of the continent.

Have you noticed a difference between the Canadain and USian Asatru on the east coast?

Nope, but I've only met one Canadian and she's in my Kindred.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:37 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
The religions also break down along current-nationality lines. I'm an East Coast USian and Asatru is different both in different sides of the oceans and on different sides of the continent.

Have you noticed a difference between the Canadain and USian Asatru on the east coast?

Nope, but I've only met one Canadian and she's in my Kindred.
Just wondering. The only Canadian Asatru I know are part of the RossViking, but the way it was phrased gave it a different meaning in my head than I think you intended.  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:30 pm
This is my friendly request for a detailed rant as to why you are on the individual deity side of the Freya/Frigga Ode/Odin debate.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:45 pm
This is a similar question to the one I posed in TeaDidikai's pathway thread. In your Asatru group (or any group of Norse Recons) do you practice in English, or another language? Is usage of another language essential to work with your Gods? When working alone, do you or others use another language?
Is your tradition dependant on language?  

VisasMarr

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:15 pm
TeaDidikai
This is my friendly request for a detailed rant as to why you are on the individual deity side of the Freya/Frigga Ode/Odin debate.

Ur, do you mean why I consider them to not be the same deities?

Because they obviously aren't. The easiest to contrast are Freya and Frigga. Freya is a Vanir, twin sister of Frey, choser of half the slain, slept with Dwarves to get a belt, has a Hawk cloak, and lives in Folkvang. She has no children and grieves for her lost husband.

Frigga, in contrast, either lives with Odin in Glathsheim or has Saga as a name kenning and lives in Sökkvabekk (on the fence with this one, personally). She is an Aesir; was never a Vanir. She is not Freyr's twin. Baldr and Hodr are her children.

That's the lore based stuff. I'd freely admit it is neither comprehensive nor particularly scholarly; I've not worked extensively with either goddess.

UPG-sided, I have, I believe, "felt" Frigga on a personal basis and Freya on a group basis at the ritual honoring her in particular and through one particularly impressive Freyaswoman I knew. They "felt" different. Both very warm (a contrast the from cooler Tyr; more like Loki or Hermod or Thor) but there was an undercurrent of eroticism and power with Freya and there was a distinct feeling of hidden depths and cruel compassion with Frigga. They just "felt" different.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
VisasMarr
In your Asatru group (or any group of Norse Recons) do you practice in English, or another language?

English, though I have heard much of the Eddas chanted in their original Icelandic and enjoyed it greatly.

VisasMarr
Is usage of another language essential to work with your Gods?

In a historical and accuracy related manner, yes.

VisasMarr
When working alone, do you or others use another language?

Some more linguistically gifted people, ir native Icelanders, might. I don't.

VisasMarr

Yes. The stories are very important.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:13 am
Deoridhe
VisasMarr
In your Asatru group (or any group of Norse Recons) do you practice in English, or another language?

English, though I have heard much of the Eddas chanted in their original Icelandic and enjoyed it greatly.

VisasMarr
Is usage of another language essential to work with your Gods?

In a historical and accuracy related manner, yes.

VisasMarr
When working alone, do you or others use another language?

Some more linguistically gifted people, ir native Icelanders, might. I don't.

VisasMarr

Yes. The stories are very important.

When studying source texts and other important information do you study in translation, or in the original language, or a bit of both?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:46 am
VisasMarr
When studying source texts and other important information do you study in translation, or in the original language, or a bit of both?

The translation, unless I have an audio recording (Nuri sent me some). English is my main language and French is my secondary. I've yet to even attempt to learn Icelandic. I used several translations, however; speciffically Hollander, Larrington, and Bellows.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:25 pm
Deoridhe
VisasMarr

The translation, unless I have an audio recording (Nuri sent me some). English is my main language and French is my secondary. I've yet to even attempt to learn Icelandic. I used several translations, however; speciffically Hollander, Larrington, and Bellows.
Do you feel that modern translations can do them justice even without taking word for word, but theme from the Eddas?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:13 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
VisasMarr

Do you feel that modern translations can do them justice even without taking word for word, but theme from the Eddas?

I think those three together give a solid understanding, but nothing beats hearing the original. Nothing. It's a completely different form of poetry that I roundly fail at.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:37 am
Deo, is there any other site you know were you can read Tacticus? (help! help! sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:02 pm
Brill Wavedancer
Deo, is there any other site you know were you can read Tacticus? (help! help! sweatdrop )

Sacred Texts has him, I think. When I was looking up his stuff I was using my University's library, though.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 pm
A Poetry section has been added. Only two of my poems are up so far, but I'll add more as time goes on. These poems are religiously specific; non-religious poetry is available elsewhere along with some fiction of mine. Contact me privately if you want more information, or play the google game.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:03 am
Deoridhe
Brill Wavedancer

Sacred Texts has him, I think. When I was looking up his stuff I was using my University's library, though.
Hmm.. The sacred text link you gave doesn;t work anymore, and I cannot find anything else on I-net. sad Drats...  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 am
Brill Wavedancer
Deoridhe
Brill Wavedancer

Hmm.. The sacred text link you gave doesn;t work anymore, and I cannot find anything else on I-net. sad Drats...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm ??  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff