Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Music and Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:09 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am
My dance rant:

Dance for me has and always will be the physical representation of music. Without music there can be no dance, and the style of dance is fully dependent on what music is playing. Thus the two are so closely interlinked that I cannot dance to bad music, or if I cannot stand the style of dance.

This can be seen repeatedly throughout dance forms, and the energy evoked in each kind. Ballroom dancing of the Viennese Walzes has an entirely different ambiance to contemporary jazz dance. Salsa is different to tango is different to breakdancing. What connects them all is a common love and respect for the beauty of the music. Each person has their own individual taste in music and therefore are adept at different styles of dance. Yes, even all you shy people out there who say you can't probably can dance. It's just your insecurity that gets in the way.

However, after saying all that there is one style of dance that absolutely disgusts me. Moshing. It's not dance. It's not beautiful. It's not fun. It's pure channelled aggression. Sure that sort of thing has it's place, but not in a night club. A friend of mine likened it to the movie "Fight Club" but with fewer rules. It's like all the kids out there were trying to kill each other. Perhaps it started with the intention of dance (the people who start by jumping up and down in the center, who end up pushing people, who end up pushing back, who end up knocking other people onto the floor who end up hurt. Or sometimes dead.) but there are some people on the sidelines who deliberately push people into the fray for fun. That's not dance. That's bestial aggression in an enclosed environment where people get seriously hurt. Like a pitfight or mob.

I'm a relatively delicate person. If I go near a mosh pit I get hurt. In fact last night in Fibber's I got hit in the face quite hard by careless moshing drunkards. And when they're drunk enough they'll mosh to stuff that I'd like to dance to. So we end up with conflicting interests on the same dance floor; They want to hurt stuff, and I don't want to get hurt. I also want to dance.

This is where partially my disdain for some metal music comes into it. Metal is so uniform and unconducive to delicate dance that mosh was invented. In fact, moshing is pretty much the only way to dance to metal. The music itself is aggressive and fierce, therefore obviously the dancing for it is going to get people hurt. That's pretty much why I don't like most metal. That and I can barely tell the difference between one song and another, they all sound so similar. As far as I can tell they're all about killing themselves, killing their friends or killing their girlfriends. And although there may be a place for that I don't want it on my dance floor.

Thank you. /rant

I am aware there are many metal fans out there and that the aforementioned points are all my opinion. I'd actually be quite interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.  

Pelta

Aesi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:45 pm
TeaDidikai

I'm currently kicking around the use of "Haven't Seen You Lately" to reclaim debts owed by ex-lovers, "Blue" as an invocation of universal awareness, and "Waiting Wishing" as a love spell for someone who is only semi-aware of the ebb and flow of magic.

BNL's "If I had a Million Dollars" for properity magic would be a great one.

Edit: Oh! Luck be a Lady by ol' Blue Eyes for gambling magic!

Ever heard a song you think might be good for last-minute necessary finances? sweatdrop

TeaDidikai
I think it is important to note that even with songs and music from the last hundred years or so- the rythem, and tone of the song is still important to the nature of the magic.

It does beg the question though- which would be more important, the tone of the song or the lyrics?

For me, both. I love really energetic J-pop, but Japanese musicians love to play with their songs' mood and tempo. "Hikari" by Utada Hikaru is a good example of this. There are a ton of different versions: stage recording, acoustic, full version in English with a slow tempo, remix in English with a fast tempo, full version in Japanese with a fast tempo, full version in Japanese with a slow tempo, full version in Japanese with a fast tempo, half-length remix in Japanese with a fast tempo...etc. crying The lyrics and mood of the song just don't always fit together in such chaos and it can be very annoying when you're trying to listen carefully and think about the song.

However, Japanese pop is very poetic and usually very lively, so it'd be good for creativity, increased energy, and agility.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:24 am
Aesi
Ever heard a song you think might be good for last-minute necessary finances? sweatdrop

"Money" (old rock song, can't remember who wrote it - I have a version of it by the Beatles on the "With the Beatles" album) But it really depends on how much you want the money and what you want to give up to get it:
"The best things in life are free,
But you can keep them for the birds and bees!
Now give me money (that's what I want)
That's what I want.
Now give me money...etc."

Another possibility would be a Monty Python money song that might work by stating you have the money already:
"I've got 90,000 pounds in my pyjamas
I have 40,000 French Francs in my fridge.
I've got lots of lovely lira now the Deutschmark's getting dearer
And my dollar bills would buy the Brooklyn Bridge!"

There are plenty of songs out there for money. It's a pretty popular subject.  

Pelta

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:28 pm
Looking at hotlyrics.net, looks like the original vocalist of "Money" was one Barrett Strong.

3nodding Thanks. I didn't occur to me, but I might be able to find a lot of them in country music, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:00 am
Aesi
Looking at hotlyrics.net, looks like the original vocalist of "Money" was one Barrett Strong.

3nodding Thanks. I didn't occur to me, but I might be able to find a lot of them in country music, too.

Sure it wasnt Pink Floyd?  

PhantomPhoenix0

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:36 am
PhantomPhoenix0
Sure it wasnt Pink Floyd?
Pink Floyd have another totally groovy song called Money, but it's not the same one. The one I'm talking about is 50s or 60s rock and roll Chuck Berry style. As soon as my brother returns that Beatles CD he stole I'll tell you who it's by.

EDIT: It's by Bradford/Gordy, probably ancient blues musicians. It's apparently been much covered over the years.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:44 am
Here's a thought. Are there many people here who use music as a sort of emotional release?

For example, when I went through a particularly bad break-up a few years ago I picked up my flute and played. I just improvised a little song and poured all of my emotions into it. When it was done I was cleansed. All of that emotion had been expressed and channelled out of me and there was none of that misery and pain left. And to this day I think it was the most beautiful thing I've ever played.

Ever since then when I get in a particularly strong mood, I play. Whether I'm fiercely angry, horribly upset or ridiculously happy I'll play to express those emotions and get them under control. For me it's the most effective method of dealing with strong emotions that I've found.

Music is better than any psychiatrist. 3nodding  

Pelta

Sevendreams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:22 am
missmagpie
Here's a thought. Are there many people here who use music as a sort of emotional release?

For example, when I went through a particularly bad break-up a few years ago I picked up my flute and played. I just improvised a little song and poured all of my emotions into it. When it was done I was cleansed. All of that emotion had been expressed and channelled out of me and there was none of that misery and pain left. And to this day I think it was the most beautiful thing I've ever played.

Ever since then when I get in a particularly strong mood, I play. Whether I'm fiercely angry, horribly upset or ridiculously happy I'll play to express those emotions and get them under control. For me it's the most effective method of dealing with strong emotions that I've found.

Music is better than any psychiatrist. 3nodding

Yus. I also use music to manipulate myself sometimes, like when I'm feeling tired but I know I need to do housework, I'll play some melodic punk to get myself revved, and then play some hardcore punk to really get down to business. One thing that bothers me though is music that gets me charged and then...the song ends, and it was such a damn good song, and I try to put it on repeat, but by that time, the mood is lost. sad

I also have used music like you have, played it to "cleanse" myself of emotions or thoughts I do not want, or to transform them into useful energies and carry on with life.

Who needs Zoloft when I have Anti-Flag! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:55 am
Sevendreams
Who needs Zoloft when I have Anti-Flag! rofl

Americans would save a lot of money if more of us appreciated this effect of music.

Yeah, I frequently use music as a "mood glue". I use video games to this effect, as well. It isn't jut a tool for relaxation. Evoking certain moods and emotions through games and music gives me a chance to note my responses and analyze them later. It help me be more aware of my mind and my own character. And it gives me a starting point from which I can direct my intellectual and spiritual development.  

Aesi

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:18 pm
The resonance in some harmonics is a vital part of several formulae my society uses.
Like any other energy, the sound, it's frequency, and it's pattern is of great import to us. Also, many effects and entities are keyed to specific harmonics, whether in an adverse or beneficient manner is also important.
As with any other quantifiable and reproducable instance, sound can play a major part in our work.
Also, the psycho-somatic effects it can have upon the magus cannot be over-looked. Altho we don't play with Psycho-drama, the mental and emotional state of the practitioner can easily affect the quality of their work.
Given that the techniques we use require absolute precision, having relaxed and clear headed practitioners is very important.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 pm
Fiddler are there any specific songs or hymns that are used in your practise? You dont have to tell me what they are but Im curious to know if you do, and what theyd be like.  

Pelta

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Depends entirely on what is being done.
Each dweomer is unique, scientifically engineered to produce a single, specific effect.
It can be as simple as a single tone from a tuning fork (Note E) struck at the mid point of the Northerly, by a copper rod or a reproduction of the alarm sounded in Krakow (1241), complete with sudden drop (historically, the trumpeter was slain by a Tartar arrow).
It can also be as complicated as a specifically composed musical piece designed to incorporate Harmonics, imagery, and symbolic instrument resonance to aid in the desired affect.

But, as most of my associates are tone deaf, we don't use it as much as I would like.
confused  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:21 am
I tend to (ab)use the tin whistle to convey magical intent.
I tend to (ab)use the guitar to convey emotion and for catharsis.

(Incidentally, I agree maggie, mosher=t3h 5uck)  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers