Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Mentor Yulo-chan [Open] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 am
M41-TY

You don't need another coloring assignment to apply what you've learned, silly emotion_kirakira
You can try it on your next art piece, you can recolor an old piece, or you can just sit down and try to copy my shiny blob thing. Any of those will help you learn to make your colors pop, as long as you're actively thinking about how to do it, with the reference right in front of you.

Which digital programs do you use? I use SAI PaintTool.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 am
Yulo-chan
M41-TY

I use Paint tool sai too. I want assignments to learn more! Practice makes perfect! I understand the concept of the ball like what they teach you when you start out but when I apply it to the body I get confused. Most likely just need to study more >.<  

M41-TY

Romantic Lunatic

2,600 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Wall Street 200

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 am
M41-TY
Yulo-chan
M41-TY

I use Paint tool sai too. I want assignments to learn more! Practice makes perfect! I understand the concept of the ball like what they teach you when you start out but when I apply it to the body I get confused. Most likely just need to study more >.<

Lol aw.
Well what you can do is observe the body and figure out where the shadows go mhm. It takes time but as long as you keep looking at the subtle changes in color and trying to imitate it on paper/digital canvas, you'll improve.
Your assignment is:

1 - draw a lineart or just get an old one you made
2 - identify from your favorite artists - who you want to color like?
3 - get at least 3 colored artworks from them
4 - use their coloring as a reference(and take notes) to color your own lineart

I'm sorry if you expected a different magical assignment from me... there's not a more efficient way to learn O v O And I will need a recent sample of your work(which will be this assignment) to critique. emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:07 am
Yulo-chan

Hmmm...

Side note:
One day
when you're in the mood to mentor again,
I'll be your pupil,
but for now,
I'll just be your fan...
c:

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:20 am
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan

Hmmm...

Side note:
One day
when you're in the mood to mentor again,
I'll be your pupil,
but for now,
I'll just be your fan...
c:

Lol. Ofc I'm in the mood. XD I just need to be quoted lol
May I see your gallery?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:01 am
Yulo-chan
May I see your gallery?

Yay!! ≧◡≦

Hehe well, about that... eheh
I'mma scan some sketches in quickly... Here we go! εїз
Oh, and sorry, but I don't have a tabbie yet. I'm saving for the Wacom Bamboo Fun tabbie that comes with all those yummy programs
°◡°

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 am
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan
May I see your gallery?

Yay!! ≧◡≦

Hehe well, about that... eheh
I'mma scan some sketches in quickly... Here we go! εїз
Oh, and sorry, but I don't have a tabbie yet. I'm saving for the Wacom Bamboo Fun tabbie that comes with all those yummy programs
°◡°

Hmm. Oh! You're off to a very good start. * u * where exactly do you want to improve? I think you're doing the right thing to learn; you just need to keep doing it more.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 am
Yulo-chan
Hmm. Oh! You're off to a very good start. * u * where exactly do you want to improve? I think you're doing the right thing to learn; you just need to keep doing it more.

DA is so tricky! Hehe xp
I need to learn colouring, mostly, but drawing techniques would be nice too!

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 am
x shini-chan x
DA is so tricky! Hehe xp
I need to learn colouring, mostly, but drawing techniques would be nice too!

Alright. * u * Do me a favor? Do this meme: influence map yes
Every great artist I know starts off by imitating/learning the styles of their favorite artists from a young age. For example my favorite artists like joodlez had many phases of imitating the styles of several cartoons like shin-chan and futurama and simpsons, and like.. 5 different magical girl animes or something LOL
Since you're just beginning, I feel the same would benefit you. But first we need to figure out which artists influence you the most.
if you were going for realism, you'd copy real things in your environment. Seeing the style you're going for is highly stylized however, I feel that realism would bore you out of your mind and carry your style in a direction you don't want lol. * u * this cool with you?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:30 am
Yulo-chan

Every great artist I know starts off by imitating/learning the styles of their favorite artists from a young age. For example my favorite artists like joodlez had many phases of imitating the styles of several cartoons like shin-chan and futurama and simpsons, and like.. 5 different magical girl animes or something LOL
Since you're just beginning, I feel the same would benefit you. But first we need to figure out which artists influence you the most.
if you were going for realism, you'd copy real things in your environment. Seeing the style you're going for is highly stylized however, I feel that realism would bore you out of your mind and carry your style in a direction you don't want lol. * u * this cool with you?

Hmmm... Sounds good! I do realism at school, mostly, but I suck at drawing humans... That's why I love chibi so much xp
Anywayz... Where should I look for examples? Could *you* be my favorite artist? hehe

And should I use the blocks as a grid or are they there for me to draw something else in each block?

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:49 am
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan

Hmmm... Sounds good! I do realism at school, mostly, but I suck at drawing humans... That's why I love chibi so much xp
Anywayz... Where should I look for examples? Could *you* be my favorite artist? hehe

And should I use the blocks as a grid or are they there for me to draw something else in each block?

LOL
There has to be some other artists that have influenced your style XD I don't believe you lol
If you read the author's comment, you'll find examples of how to do the meme lol. if you're still confused you can ask me  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 am
Yulo-chan
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan

LOL
There has to be some other artists that have influenced your style XD I don't believe you lol
If you read the author's comment, you'll find examples of how to do the meme lol. if you're still confused you can ask me

Ahhh.. eheh I knew that! sweatdrop erhm.. Right.. Anyway! mrgreen
I'mma love this asignment! hehehe

Just one question... Do I have to redraw them, or just get 'em in those blocks as inspiration/the goal?

And another... Sorry.. *blush*
How do I get the pictures into the blocks? Photobucket?

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Yulo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:22 am
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan

LOL

Just one question... Do I have to redraw them, or just get 'em in those blocks as inspiration/the goal?

Just copy what other ppl are doing for the meme XD
if you look carefully at what other people did for the meme, they copied and pasted pictures that other artists did and stuck it onto the influence meme yes
Ahhh you don't have a program to do it in like SAI or Photoshop? O v O  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:31 am
Yulo-chan
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan
x shini-chan x
Yulo-chan

LOL

Just copy what other ppl are doing for the meme XD
if you look carefully at what other people did for the meme, they copied and pasted pictures that other artists did and stuck it onto the influence meme yes
Ahhh you don't have a program to do it in like SAI or Photoshop? O v O

SAI and Photoshop can do that? whee sweatdrop  

peinture avec angelique

Feral Phantom

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items