Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
First Aid for: Lea Florens Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am
User Image

In perspective, closer things appear bigger, but you can't just do it at random. You can add the floor with false perspective (where things don't get bigger) just by drawing the floor and putting the footprints in. Use a curve to show that the foot is flat on the floor.

Once the feet are "on the floor", you'll want to make sure his hips line with the feet, and then the shoulders. This will pull him off the page and ground him. Refer to the linked example in my last post. Notice how the hips and shoulders are at about the same angle as the feet?

I'm on my way out the door, but I'll put together a better example a little late.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 am
Errol McGillivray
*snip*
In perspective, closer things appear bigger, but you can't just do it at random. You can add the floor with false perspective (where things don't get bigger) just by drawing the floor and putting the footprints in. Use a curve to show that the foot is flat on the floor.

Once the feet are "on the floor", you'll want to make sure his hips line with the feet, and then the shoulders. This will pull him off the page and ground him. Refer to the linked example in my last post. Notice how the hips and shoulders are at about the same angle as the feet?

I'm on my way out the door, but I'll put together a better example a little late.

:O I'm in awe. I actually got that - no mean feat for someone like me with zero attention span. Your diagrams are very good. Thanks so much for the extra explanation! I'll definitely keep that in mind for next time. smile  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 am
User Image

There's something wrong with the head....=/  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 am
1st trial with copics.
User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 am
2nd trial with copics.
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 am
3rd trial with copics.

User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 pm
User Image

I found how to get more colors - colorize by photoshop. XD  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:28 am
User Image  

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:19 pm
Can you show us your process for drawing a headshot?  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 pm
Nice work with traditional markers!

I personally dislike floating heads, so try adding at least the upper body and/or hands! It would improve the piece that much more!  

A t r o c i t y

8,125 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:18 am
Errol McGillivray
Can you show us your process for drawing a headshot?

Process? Sure, I don't mind. I'm probably terribly inefficient lol. Though that'd probably be weeks away before I have the time to sit down and do another proper colored piece due to RL commitments...

My process's pretty basic really. Any notable step(s) that you're particularly interested in?
Pencilling-->inking-->coloring-->highlights/corrections-->completed artwork. Scanning the image comes somewhere between the highlights/correction stage.

@A t r o c i t y: Thank you for the comment, will keep that in mind smile  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 am
I mean your process for constructing the image. What things do you think of? What do you do? How do you plan? How do you execute?  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 am
Errol McGillivray
I mean your process for constructing the image. What things do you think of? What do you do? How do you plan? How do you execute?

Er. Not much thinking involved. Usually the main thing goes like 'Okay, I've got XX hours to do this...'
Find victim.
User Image
Find inspiration.
User Image
Image.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 pm
Still meant more of the actual drawing, but I see what you mean.

Take one more step before and after you're done. Before you start, really observe the inspiration images and after, compare that one to yours.

This is totally different, but I think something different, that shares the same core concept is a better example anyway. It's about paying attention to the things that inspire you, so you can take a little more of what you like about it and put it in your work, yet keep your style intact. You take the philosophy of the other drawing into yours.

User Image

I would tell you the same thing I did her about drawing anime heads too.

User Image

Notice that the inspiration picture feels like it takes up 3d space more than yours? It's by keeping the skull round.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

lea florens

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:45 am
Errol McGillivray

Take one more step before and after you're done. Before you start, really observe the inspiration images and after, compare that one to yours.

*EDIT* Hmm. Something to ponder upon. I'm not too good at comparisions though. XD  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff