Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Fluffy Before and After Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:30 pm
erinnightwalker
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
erinnightwalker

*watches thread closely* ninja

So we have it narrowed down to the Book of Invasions, after The Game of Fidcheal. Looking for a translation in English that includes the oath itself.

Now, I reread that thread and scorplett was saying that the invasions of Mil were important. Is this what she's talking about? Because that doesn't look like an oath from the gods. A covenant is not an oath.

I remember that site! When I was trying to find the reference on my own I saw that site. Can someone point me to the thread you were rereading with the scorplett person? It sounds interesting.

It's a couple pages back in this guild, with the title of the thread I made mentioned above. Someone, I think too2sweet, linked me to the thread which was in the M&R.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 pm
Likely looking for this thread which gives examples of similar oaths, but doesn't comment on the oaths themselves.  

TeaDidikai

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 pm
Bastemhet
erinnightwalker
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
erinnightwalker

*watches thread closely* ninja

So we have it narrowed down to the Book of Invasions, after The Game of Fidcheal. Looking for a translation in English that includes the oath itself.

Now, I reread that thread and scorplett was saying that the invasions of Mil were important. Is this what she's talking about? Because that doesn't look like an oath from the gods. A covenant is not an oath.

I remember that site! When I was trying to find the reference on my own I saw that site. Can someone point me to the thread you were rereading with the scorplett person? It sounds interesting.

It's a couple pages back in this guild, with the title of the thread I made mentioned above. Someone, I think too2sweet, linked me to the thread which was in the M&R.

Thanks smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:46 pm
TeaDidikai
Likely looking for this thread which gives examples of similar oaths, but doesn't comment on the oaths themselves.

Interesting. I don't understand why he would quote us something he himself doesn't understand and expect that to be enough to convey what he says it means. I wonder if niamhybeag ever asked hir professor.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 pm
Bastemhet

Interesting. I don't understand why he would quote us something he himself doesn't understand
He didn't quote that section. Scorplett did.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 pm
erinnightwalker
Taerinn
erinnightwalker
Taerinn
I was a Ravenwolf-er. -cringes-
Now I have learned to take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, and to hunt down for the truth.

I also learned that people will do anything to get money out of stupid people.

I don't dare count how many of her books I bought. -.-;;

I borrowed Teen Witch from my brother's friend... who is a "vampire." Dx

O.O that beats mine hands down. I read it at the library and thought it was so great I just had to buy it gonk

i own one ravenwolf book, a friend bought it for me, but i don't think i ever read it. if i did, i don't remember it.  

whiporwill-o

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Interesting. I don't understand why he would quote us something he himself doesn't understand

Whoops, my mistake.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:10 pm
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Whoops, my mistake.

He does quote another block of 4th century text that apparently didn't get translated though. Its about halfway down on page 14, right in the middle of nut throwing squirrels.  

erinnightwalker

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm
Bastemhet
Interesting. I don't understand why he would quote us something he himself doesn't understand and expect that to be enough to convey what he says it means. I wonder if niamhybeag ever asked hir professor.

I translated the first explicit binding oath.
That's, I believe, 17th century Irish, in that I understand most of it.
The later quote that Scorplett posted is one that I get every second word of.
It contains much the same oath but the second part
Quote:
Eich, claidib, carpait cáine,
gái, scéith is drecha dáine,
drucht, mess, daithen la duile,
lá 's adaig, tráig, trom-thuile.

I can't understand enough of it.

My understanding of written Irish is severely hampered by the facts that
I'm dyslexic
I speak Connemara Irish, which this isn't
Irish isn't describable, in the slightest, by the Roman alphabet to such an extent that if you know a word but don't know how it's spelled, there exists a fairly high chance that you won't recognise it written down.

Why, if I may ask, are we going through this again?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:18 pm
Hey Cu? They want the actual oath sworn in the Book of Invasions between the sons of Mil and the Tuatha De Danann.  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 pm
CuAnnan
I translated the first explicit binding oath.
That's, I believe, 17th century Irish, in that I understand most of it.
The later quote that Scorplett posted is one that I get every second word of.

Is it an earlier post than where Tea linked to? I started reading from where she linked so I can go back and reread whatever you posted.

Quote:
Why, if I may ask, are we going through this again?

Because my question didn't get answered the first time.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm
Bastemhet

It has been answered repeatedly.
Forgive the terseness but we get frustrated answering the same questions repeatedly in several locations.
This is not your fault. I recognise that and apologise if my iritability seems to be directed at you instead of the problem.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm
CuAnnan
Bastemhet

Forgive the terseness but we get frustrated answering the same questions repeatedly in several locations.
This is not your fault. I recognise that and apologise if my iritability seems to be directed at you instead of the problem.
Hey Cu?
I'm missing something here. What I have seen quoted isn't coming from the Book of Invasions- but instead is coming from the poem that begins with the line Sóerchlanda Érenn uile and The Metrical Dindshenchas of Carmun, neither of which show the oaths sworn to the sons of Mil.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:08 pm
CuAnnan

Well, the reason I asked this time was because the last time it came up, I was in no condition to politely ask for resources. If you include that occasion, and the link in Bastemhet's thread on the subject, that's five threads that never got the definitive answer request for sure, four of which can be confirmed. I'm not including the one in the link because it has apparently been moved in the interim, making confirmation iffy. In all my ramblings and inquiries on the subject, I believe you are the only one that says that there is a specific passage that binds in the manner described. Therefore, I must ask you. I'm sorry to repeat the past, but I would really appreciate a final answer that I can point everyone to and say "There it is. Read it, enjoy it, and don't bother the gentleman again."

Edit- quote code went poof. This is addressed to Cu Ann.
Edit of the edit- Quote code unpoofed  

erinnightwalker

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:20 pm
CuAnnan
Bastemhet

I understand how frustrating it must be to have to repeat yourself all the time, believe me. However I've not been on the receiving end of the answer and I've asked a couple of times now, once in the thread, another in pms. I didn't bug you about it because you were sick at the time, but it's been quite a while and I would appreciate the source, please.

Perhaps you wouldn't have to repeat it if you post it in your pathways thread? That might be more convenient. Just a suggestion.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff