Submit

your language?
  swear?
  no swear?
View Results

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:12 pm
Question posted by Call Me Apple in a new thread on this topic:

Actually, this was inspired by seeing other Muslims curse, a lot. Especially on anti-islam videos on youtube. But I know that some Christians do it too, my aunt goes to church each Sunday but says the f-word and c-word constantly!

Can a person who curses still be considered "pious" in your opinion?
Why or why not?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:13 pm
AhoySheps' response to Call Me Apple's OP:

For me, cursing just seems like the person using it lacks a vocabulary. It doesn't come of as very intelligent. Also, it makes a person seem really immature.

That being said, I've had a bit of a cursing problem this year because of the people I was associating with. Curses come out of their mouths so casually, and eventually, it did for me too. I'm currently working on fixing this behaviour. It really isn't very attractive.  

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:28 pm
As a Christian, Jesus warns against cursing anyone with one's tongue, especially if doing so comes from one's heart, and remarks how one's tongue must be controlled. Paul and others in the letters continue this message by discouraging foolish and idle talk, especially when such talk tarnishes the example one is supposed to be setting for others.

However:

AhoySheps
[C]ursing just seems like the person using it lacks a vocabulary. It doesn't come of as very intelligent. Also, it makes a person seem really immature.

How so? There is no way to tell the extent of a person's vocabulary, their intelligence or the maturity from the use of swear/curse words.

AhoySheps
It really isn't very attractive.

The attractiveness of its use is clear from the way you had begun to use it. The attractiveness of the people who use it is relative to whomever is observing its use.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 pm
Priestley
As a Christian, Jesus warns against cursing anyone with one's tongue, especially if doing so comes from one's heart, and remarks how one's tongue must be controlled. Paul and others in the letters continue this message by discouraging foolish and idle talk, especially when such talk tarnishes the example one is supposed to be setting for others.

However:

AhoySheps
[C]ursing just seems like the person using it lacks a vocabulary. It doesn't come of as very intelligent. Also, it makes a person seem really immature.

How so? There is no way to tell the extent of a person's vocabulary, their intelligence or the maturity from the use of swear/curse words.

AhoySheps

The attractiveness of its use is clear from the way you had begun to use it. The attractiveness of the people who use it is relative to whomever is observing its use.

(k, sorry I really don't know how to qute just sections.)
for the first box: if language is what you have to judge by then yes, it does look that way. We aren't able to always look at a person and consider their history, who they are, what kind of meaning and intentions they're haveing. No. Evaluation of language is a common, quick way to see who a person is.
Yes, for the second box I have to say that it all depends on whether or not you know somebody or have a previously filled opinion of them. If someone random on the street is swearing, then yes you think they're dirty, rude, and in general unnatractive. But if you know them, then it gives context to the words.
And @AhoySheps, good job with trying to stop. It's really good that you'd make the effort. I just saw Preistly didn't quote that part and thought it deserved addressing.  

viper_353

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 pm
Priestley
AhoySheps

I disagree. While it is certainly true this criteria cannot be a "catch-all" criteria, it can still be a meaningful criteria. It is similar to the issue of judging by appearance. There is a great deal of information which can be gathered by how a person looks or talks. That a person curses does not mean the person is an idiot, but when a person uses curse words in place of meaningful adjectives, it does imply a certain lack of vocabulary.

One should be aware of the possibility of faulty interpretations, but this does not mean conclusions based on the choices of an individual should be avoided.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:09 am
zz1000zz
Priestley
AhoySheps

I disagree. While it is certainly true this criteria cannot be a "catch-all" criteria, it can still be a meaningful criteria. It is similar to the issue of judging by appearance. There is a great deal of information which can be gathered by how a person looks or talks. That a person curses does not mean the person is an idiot, but when a person uses curse words in place of meaningful adjectives, it does imply a certain lack of vocabulary.

One should be aware of the possibility of faulty interpretations, but this does not mean conclusions based on the choices of an individual should be avoided.

I always forget who said this but, "Never use three big words where a little dirty one will do." I tend to view people who can use curse words in complete sentences to be, quite possibly, more mature. These people have transcended past worrying about their vocabulary or language and simply use the words that bes describe a topic.  

Lazarus The Resurected

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 am
zz1000zz
Priestley
AhoySheps

You can disagree, but the fact is that the words a person uses and the clothes that he/she wears are no indicators that he/she cannot use any other words or dress in any other way; simply that they do not at that present moment.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 am
viper_353
(k, sorry I really don't know how to qute just sections.)

Highlight the text you want to quote, click the quote button above the input box and respond below the quoted section. smile

viper_353
Priestley

However:

AhoySheps

if language is what you have to judge by then yes, it does look that way. We aren't able to always look at a person and consider their history, who they are, what kind of meaning and intentions they're haveing. No. Evaluation of language is a common, quick way to see who a person is.

Whose fault is it if you're mistaken about your judgement of that person? His/hers for misleading you or you for jumping to conclusions?

viper_353
Priestley
AhoySheps

Yes, for the second box I have to say that it all depends on whether or not you know somebody or have a previously filled opinion of them. If someone random on the street is swearing, then yes you think they're dirty, rude, and in general unnatractive. But if you know them, then it gives context to the words.

Not me. What's more important to me is the emotion expressed through the use of the word(s). For example, if it's an expression of aggression and hostility towards me, designed to make me fearful, the words the person uses to convey that intention are irrelevant. I am scared of that person, not of his words.

However, if I don't like certain language, I don't like that language. I don't project my feelings about the language onto the person who uses it and make assumptions about that person based on them. I would ask the person to stop using the language around me before having to resort to asking them to remove themselves from my company or having to remove myself.

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
AhoySheps

You can disagree, but the fact is that the words a person uses and the clothes that he/she wears are no indicators that he/she cannot use any other words or dress in any other way; simply that they do not at that present moment.

You said "[T]here is no way to tell the extent of a person's vocabulary, intelligence or the maturity" from their word choice. This was in response to someone saying cursing makes them seem like they are unintelligent, immature, etc.

While you may not be able to measure these things with certainty based upon word choice, you can get an idea. The perception created is created for a reason.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 pm
While at a Bible study tonight the idea of swearing being wrong came up. One of the girls asked why. Was it a sin? Because the leaders were kinda trying to hurry through that (I wish we'd had time to elaborate on it, but we were rushing to finish the important parts.) Then one of them bruoght up this--we're supposed to make ourselves most like the image of Jesus, right? Well, do you think that Jesus would have been walking around, swearing, dropping F-bombs when he was mad at the pharisees? I don't think so. He would have used language choices that weren't offensive, didn't give people a bad view of him (and this is putting Jesus into today. I don't know what kind of 'bad words' they had back then.). And so overall, I think we all know and agree that swearing is wrong. What we're debating here is...I guess when we can justify to ourselves whether or not it could be considered right?? (and please, someone correct me here, or add to what they think is the question we're presently discussing!)
And @Priestly: Thanks for the quoting info! I could never figure out how to do it!!! smile  

viper_353

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:15 pm
viper_353
Then one of them bruoght up this--we're supposed to make ourselves most like the image of Jesus, right? Well, do you think that Jesus would have been walking around, swearing, dropping F-bombs when he was mad at the pharisees?

The problem with this is it goes to the extreme. What about cursing with restraint?

Many people who use "foul language" use it in moderation.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 am
viper_353
Well, do you think that Jesus would have been walking around, swearing, dropping F-bombs when he was mad at the pharisees? I don't think so. He would have used language choices that weren't offensive, didn't give people a bad view of him (and this is putting Jesus into today. I don't know what kind of 'bad words' they had back then.). And so overall, I think we all know and agree that swearing is wrong. What we're debating here is...I guess when we can justify to ourselves whether or not it could be considered right??

On the contrary, Jesus' language in reference to the Pharisees and teachers of the law, for example, was scathing -- "hypocrites" and "brood of vipers" come to mind. Bring that forward to today and you can imagine the kinds of insults that would be coming out of his mouth. It was appropriate for the moment.

Incidentally, Matthew 5:21-26 will be of some interest.

viper_353
And @Priestly: Thanks for the quoting info! I could never figure out how to do it!!! smile

No problem. smile  

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:16 am
zz1000zz
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
AhoySheps

You said "[T]here is no way to tell the extent of a person's vocabulary, intelligence or the maturity" from their word choice. This was in response to someone saying cursing makes them seem like they are unintelligent, immature, etc.

While you may not be able to measure these things with certainty based upon word choice, you can get an idea. The perception created is created for a reason.

When perceptions are based on assumptions, they are more often than not removed from reality.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 am
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
zz1000zz
Priestley
AhoySheps

When perceptions are based on assumptions, they are more often than not removed from reality.

Why would perceptions be based on assumptions? Your perceptions pass through an interpretation level (which is based upon assumptions, experience, etc.) and become expectations.  

zz1000zz
Crew

[Miss Momo]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:58 pm
In reference to the wicked: Psalms 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
Romans 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

And this one is my favorite and very clear:
Colossians 3:8

But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games