Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Silver RavenWolf? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:23 am
Naomi Tinuveil
rofl I don't know . . . that staff looks pretty promising ^_~ Not to mention satisfying lol
I have higher standards for my wood.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:12 am
TeaDidikai
Naomi Tinuveil
rofl I don't know . . . that staff looks pretty promising ^_~ Not to mention satisfying lol
I have higher standards for my wood.
True True ::ponders the usefulness of a candleabra in this instance:: . . . ouch stressed  

Naomi Tinuveil

quantum_leaper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:56 am
Does anyone have any links on the web which are in favour of silverravenwolf?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:30 am
quantum_leaper
Does anyone have any links on the web which are in favour of silverravenwolf?
Well- Silver's page herself.

Oh oh! And the Fluffy Bunny Trad!  

TeaDidikai

Indefinitive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:46 pm
I'm not gonna lie. The first book that I picked up that was about Wicca was written by Silver RavenWolf. I thought it was pretty easy to get through and understand. And then I found out how much of her work is actually BS. So I spent the past six months getting my facts straight. She's good for getting into the religion, because in the end, you end up reading all the good stuff that'll actually get you somewhere while trying to reverse what you read in her books. She's not too bad, in my opinion, for beginners. They just have to know not to take too much of her work too seriously, and do more research from other authors as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:06 pm
MariusMorningstar
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Do you own the Eddas? The Sagas, the Celtic Cycles, the Bible complete with Gnostic Texts, the The Rig-Veda, the Sepher Yezirah, maybe the Middle Pillar or the Tao-te Ching?

Do yourself a favor. Sell her books off and use them to buy some good theological texts.

Don't forget the Upanishads! Mom mom, silly agnostic that she is, owns all of them.
I didn't cover half of what I would tell people to buy before they keep a Ravenwolf book.
I don't recommend Silver to beginners because of her anti-Christian polemics and inaccurate history. Another pet peeve of mine is that she frequently presents her opinions as facts. That's not a good thing to be doing in a book for beginners. More experienced Pagans can tell when Silver is presenting her opinion and when she is presenting a fact, but will already know most of the facts contained within.
I don't know about that. I think most anyone can smell the BS if they've read anything from any author trying to give information on such subjects. I don't think she should be banned from beginning Wiccans, but maybe from beginning readers. If there's one thing that has helped me along the way since I first began researching, it has been the so-called "critical reading" skills my English teachers would always talk about. I didn't think the skill was that big of a deal since I started in this and actually read what kind of crap someone could be fed if they didn't know how to call BS on an author. Thus, I believe that perhaps Silver Ravenwolf should be left to people who have developed the readers' BS radar.  

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:07 am
[Shattered]x[Glass]
I'm not gonna lie. The first book that I picked up that was about Wicca was written by Silver RavenWolf. I thought it was pretty easy to get through and understand. And then I found out how much of her work is actually BS. So I spent the past six months getting my facts straight. She's good for getting into the religion, because in the end, you end up reading all the good stuff that'll actually get you somewhere while trying to reverse what you read in her books. She's not too bad, in my opinion, for beginners. They just have to know not to take too much of her work too seriously, and do more research from other authors as well.
The problem I see with this is that not everyone actually goes beyond Silver Ravenfluff- and her lies perpetuate the disease that is Fluffy Bunnieism.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:58 am
Triste-chan
http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.html

That link explains a lot of it. Basically, she has no ethics, and her history sucks.

Good grief eek ....thanks for posting that. I knew she spoke total cack...but it seems it was worse than I first thought. The utter arrogance of the woman. She's hardly a good advert for the rest of us....silly cow!! scream

Blessings

Cerri x

dark_reki

Dapper Gaian

2,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:05 pm
cerridwen_uk

Good grief eek ....thanks for posting that. I knew she spoke total cack...but it seems it was worse than I first thought. The utter arrogance of the woman. She's hardly a good advert for the rest of us....silly cow!! scream

Blessings

Cerri x
Who on earth suggested that she is a spokesperson for any of us?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:12 am
Lol, I already knew a lot of bad things about Ms. Ravenwolf, but dear Goddess.. xd

That website rocks. Definitely going on my favorites list for when I need a good laugh. whee

MorganeLeFaye

Moonlight Lunatic

13,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200

tanwyn_llewellyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm
*shakes head* I knew the women had issues... but sheesh. Mental note: remove all Silver RavenFluff books from the shelves at the store...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:40 am
I think that the absolute biggest problem with the woman's books are that they are so incredibly accessible.
I cannot tell a lie, the first actual book I ever picked up was hers, I borrowed Teen Witch from a friend... Thankfully most of it was either stuff I had generaly read about elsewhere and besides her herbal list I didn't read a lick of it. But I ended up losing the list and went online to find it... I go online for everything... I'm even online right now ooooo... the internet.  

Light Chakra

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:31 pm
tanwyn_llewellyn
*shakes head* I knew the women had issues... but sheesh. Mental note: remove all Silver RavenFluff books from the shelves at the store...
Even the ones proping up the corner of the wobbly shelf?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:03 am
Captainkaneda
Two words-Sell out 3nodding

My personal criticism of $ilver Ravenwolf:
She has abandoned the Gods and Goddesses of Paganism for one all-powerful deity: The Almighty Dollar.

godhi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:26 am
godhi
Captainkaneda
Two words-Sell out 3nodding

My personal criticism of $ilver Ravenwolf:
She has abandoned the Gods and Goddesses of Paganism for one all-powerful deity: The Almighty Dollar.
I contest this assertion. I think the search of money within authorship is not a dishonorable one- no matter what the Neo-Hippy-Pagan scene says.

She sacrificed her search for accurate information on her own. Many authors pen great books in large numbers without junking research in the process  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff