Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Sporkism. (Open!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:06 pm
Hiya <3.

It's looking good, my sole complaint would be not to darken his shin as suddenly, if you know what I mean. If you were to do a bit of a gradient from his thigh to his shin, it wouldn't look so much like his leg was bent.
But, yeah, it's pretty cool. I must say, I love your use of red.

By the way, are you ready for your next assignment?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:41 pm
gah D: didn't notice that~ thanks for pointing out

Okay, we moving onto the next assignment... the one you set me, like, waaayyy back, issthatit?  

Crimple

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:08 pm
Mmmyep, we'll go with that one. Just take one of the stick figures and flesh it out into a body. No defining features or clothing just yet, though.

By the way, how much do you know about perspective and composition?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 pm
Aye,

nothing solid. my experience with perspective and composition are limited to "ooops, forgot about it", "lets leave it to the last minute", "fudge" and "looks passable enufff"
:'D  

Crimple

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 pm
Mmkay, in that case read this and the part two (which he links to in his artist's comments). Perspective is generally one of those things artists (myself included) don't want to use, because it's tedious, but it really does add something. And even if you choose to keep things at eye level, it's also a pretty good idea to know a few things about composition, because that one's always a big deal.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:22 am
I'm guilty of forgoing composition and perspective altogether. Know the concepts but to get down and apply it? That is a completely different matter x'D

Was sketching some more challenging poses today. Tried extreme forshortening with the middle guy, but hmmm... maybe start off with lego blocks first? Pretty pleased with the last one ~improvement or fluke? One recurring issue is when I decide to go back in and correct or refine the sketch. The pose loses some of that dynamism. But I suspect it can be resolved with some long, hard slogging on my part and your precise eye mrgreen

User Image
User Image  

Crimple

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:34 am
The last one is pretty awesome, though I like the third one as well. The only thing anatomically that bothers me about the last one is that his right pectoral sticks out too much, and the left one is too big. Also, his navel's pretty big and high up as well. Still, I really do like it.

Well, I'm no expert on this, but the way I understand it is, if you keep the muscles looking like they're contracting the way they should and you make sure it follows the original stick figure as closely as possible, and that the action flows with the spine, then you should be good. Also, make sure that I could still be able to understand the action, or at least the line thereof from a silhouette. This is a good tutorial Also, if you look here, you can see that a lot of the emphasis in a pose is where the weight is (or in some cases, isn't) being supported.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 am
Assignment is finished. I'll scan it up tomorrow ^^  

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:16 pm
Awesome.
So how's your freshman year treating you thus far?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 am
It's been quite fun , suprisingly. We have had lots of homework , But the teachers are really nice and there are lots more subject that they teach than at primary school, so it's fun ^^

And here's my assignment
Sorry about the crest on his top bieng blank , I'm not sure what to put on it yet sweatdrop And the part on his cape near the neck shouldn't have so much of a line(crinkle) on it , I don't think.

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

The Titanium Spork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:40 pm
Okay.
Having some anatomy issues, namely his front leg is too far forward, and his head isn't spherical, it's almost egg-shaped.

Also: you did well showing the cape interacting with his arm, but you need to look more closely at things like wrinkles and gathers in clothing.

So: next assignment.
As you seem to be having difficulties with hands, I want you to do 5-10 sketches of hands, from observation.
As I mentioned, you also had problems with folds in clothing, so I want you to draw two different types of fabric over objects. Like, for example, hang a towel off of a chair and observe how the folds flow over the back of the chair, but when it gets to the seat, look at how it bunches. You could also just throw a t-shirt on the floor, and draw the folds as they are when it lands. This improves your observational drawing in general, and helps you see how gravity interacts with non-rigid forms like cloth.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 pm
Thank you for getting me into the habit of self-critiquing!

For the last two days I've been pre-occupied with this piece.

I've grown so dependent on your opinion! Always grateful you take the time to look though my work and share your thoughts. You always bring a helpful perspective. Thank you!
*clings* xDD

Here I focused mainly on colour, composition and balance.

Some things I've been mulling over:
>Is the composition itself interesting?
>Are colours used effectively
>Is the pose fluid, dynamic, believable?
>And there is always anatomy!

User Image

Some issues that have already popped up for me:
> Should I refine it further? In particular the hands, kid in bg and cleavage?
> Are the colours too saturated? Are they clashing? Do they disrupt the piece? Panning out, I find the blue bow distracting. Stands out far too much. Should I mute it?
> She's missing the bit that connects knee-cap to shin
> Pant legs looks to be made of different material
> Gahh~ legs seem to be made of different material too TAT

Crimple

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 am
Okay , I'll make his leg further back(to the right) and change his head shape now.

And when I show you the hand assignment , sorry if some of the hands are smaller than others , I'll be drtawing my family's hands , so my mom and dads hands will be bigger than my little brothers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:03 pm
Crimple:
The composition is quite good, as well as flow on that drawing. The only way, I think, to improve the balance a little would be to brighten the blues on the phantom thingie in the back, just to make it pop.
Anatomy is believably warped, for the most part, just a couple of nitpicks like her left foot, it should be curved more towards us, and that her right shin and left forearm shouldn't bend back that much.
You're welcome <3<3

Nightshade:Awesome. Actually, I was going to suggest that you do different people's hands, so that you can get a feel for the effects of age and sex as well, so no worries!  

The Titanium Spork

Purely Made

Wheezing Player

7,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 am
I got one step ahead of you there xD  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items