Welcome to Gaia! ::

Coffee Stains & Crumpled Paper -- A Writers Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for writers of all kinds. 

Tags: writing, prose, poetry, writers, reading 

Reply Archives
[Prose] Where in the World? [Contest] OVER Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you stay on the train?
No
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 22

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 pm
well here is my official entry. Hope you guys enjoy it...

The City of the Lost
Words :1491

I sit on the train, my destination arriving swiftly. I am the stop before last on that train. What is that last stop like? What happens beyond what I see? Should I go? Should I stay? Should I wait for that very last stop? My curiosity is peaked. My fear of the unknown is higher. I have never been one to go further than I have to. I always take the safe road. I never take risks and I am okay.
My stop arrives. I am the last one on the train. I get off, once again disappointed in myself that I could not go further. Just once I wish that the curiosity would bring me to go that extra step. I really want to go. I look down the tunnel. It seems darker, more menacing than usual. Why is that? Is it just because I have let myself down again? Will it be even darker tomorrow? Scarier? Would I be able to bring myself to do it if it gets worse? Why shouldn’t I go now? It would be good for me. A bit of risk never hurt anyone! Then again, it does. Maybe I shouldn’t go. But what could be down there? Nothing more special than what I was at now right? Just another train station and I would have to walk home in the dark miles back. How stupid was I for even thinking of going back on the train.
The train began moving. It was now or never. Well now or again thinking tomorrow. Should I go? Would I be able to live with myself if I didn’t? I am sure I would. Though the regret of not going eats at me every day! Why shouldn’t I go? I will!!! Heart racing I rushed to the train. I jumped on as it was moving along. An empty eeriness filled the train. There was no one. No one at all. Conductors were nowhere to be seen. What happened? Where was the next stop exactly? Was I going to live? Stupid thought. Of course I was going to live. The conductors were just off having coffee or something. They didn’t think that anyone was here. The next stop was the train depot.
The train lurched forward, moving faster and faster. What the hell was going on? The engineer must be really excited to be done. My heart is still racing. I don’t know why. I am just riding the train to the depot. I am such a silly man. The train rumbled on. I looked around. There was nothing to see out the windows. Too dark. No but the train really was something to behold. It had beautiful upholstery. Burgundy seats. Gold holding rods. Gold trim on the seats. The doors looked like antiques. I walked to those doors and looked out to the next car. There was absolutely no one on this train. You would think that one or two would be on till the end. Shouldn’t a conductor come out and check if anyone was still here?
The train began moving downward. Darkness began to penetrate the light. What did I get myself into? What is going on? Light is supposed to rule the darkness not the other way around. What is happening?! I didn’t know what to do. The lights were going dim. They began flickering. I knew not what to do. What if the darkness swallowed me? What have I done? I have to get out of here!
I threw open the door to the car and ran through, from car to car until I reached the front engine. There was no one driving the train! What was going on? The tunnel was coming to an end. There was a light to be seen. The train sped faster and faster. We shot through the hole that was the end of the tunnel and the light that followed literally blinded me for a half second. What was I doing? I had a simple life before this. No risk, no danger. Suddenly I was in a new place. One I didn’t know existed. I thought I was going to be going to the train depot. But no I was, by the looks of it, in a new town. Maybe even in a different state! The train stopped at the station and I quickly got off. I would NOT be staying on the train again. HEEEEELLLL NOO.
I left the huge train station behind stepping into the city. I could see no one on the streets, due to the late hour I assumed. I looked at my watch. It was blank. Damn the batteries went out! I just got it yesterday though! How could it be broke? Ugh, This is NOT my night. I thought to myself.
“Something wrong stranger?” A deep booming voice said behind me.
I jumped, startled out of my wits. I turned to see a large man of at least 6’7”, with bulging muscles that you could clearly see through his tight shirt. “Um…” I stumbled over the words. “I am j… just a little lost is all. If you could point me back to New York, that would be great.” I struggled to get out.
“Ahhh another New Yorker. What is your name?” The man asked.
“Gerald Barker. People call me Jerry.”
“Well Jerry Let me introduce myself. I am Steven Grave. I run this town. Come with me.” He turned and strode off. I stood there dumbfounded. He stopped. “You coming Jerry?” He asked in a not so asking tone.
I took the hint and ran to his side. He strode off again my legs barely able to keep up with his brisk pace. We stopped at a two story building. I looked at the front wall. It was made of a mirror. How odd. Steven led me inside.
“Put your coat on the coat rack. Yes like that good job. You are handling this better than the others!” He proclaimed as I hung my ratty old coat on what looked like a pure gold coat rack.
“What do you mean others, I said looking toward the mirror wall when to my astonishment I could see straight through it. It was a one way window! How ingenious! The wall had four support pillars and you could see straight through to the streets! I looked around the rest of the room. There was only white on the walls. And the only doorway besides the one into the room from the outside was an archway that looked like it led into a kitchen.
“Have a seat and I will explain everything.” He said motioning to the large table that looked like it could seat at least ten. I sat in one of the chairs at the end and Steven sat at the other. There were six chairs flanking each side all upholstered in turquoise. They were the only bit of color the room had. It even seemed as if the mirror at the other end of the room portrayed everything in black and white. What was going on? Where was I? What was going to happen to me?
I waited for the explanation. The anticipation was killing me. Steven smiled, obviously enjoying this. It wasn’t the first time he has had to explain to a freaked out person thinking he was a psychopath. Steven took in a deep breath and sighed. “Okay the truth is, that train. It wasn’t only a train. It was a pathway to my little world down here. You have entered Cuses, The city of the lost. Whenever I need people to populate my city I send my trains out and connect them to the outside world. The train you thought you were on didn’t come today. All of the conductors suddenly and unexpectedly took ill. The entire train system was shut down. I am surprised so few came today. Usually so many people either fall asleep and miss their stop or are curious to what has changed beyond their stop. What was your reason for staying on the train?” he asked looking quite curious.
“Um… I had never been beyond my stop… so I was curious to what was there.” I answered quickly feeling very stupid.
“Oh… Well that is a pity. Now you will never see it.” Steven said with sadness in his voice..
What? I won’t see it… ever? “What do you mean I will never see it?” I asked quite scared now.
“Oh you can’t leave the city of the lost. No no no. That would make the name a lie. You are now a citizen here. Forever. Your friends will be notified of your death and you will stay here. You will make a family and a name for yourself in my own little world.” He sneered “Now would you like some tea?”
He stood up and left me to face my new life.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:42 pm
I came up with 1491 when I threw it into a word counter. I'll be reading this after I do my physics work.  

Kelethor
Crew

Evermore Reality

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm
fallenangel_Asha
Evermore Reality
A Silent Sense of Awe

I really enjoyed your story. I'm glad you entered and I'm glad this contest rekindled your passion...I am not glad that were/are sick however. Being sick is lame.

I'm feeling tons better now, thanks. and I appreciate your taking the time to comment (and having the good sense not to quote the whole story sweatdrop ) I'm very happy with how it turned out, although it's a bit too wordy for my tastes.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:03 pm
You came up with that for mine? or someone elses? Cause I went by my word counter...
Kelethor
I came up with 1491 when I threw it into a word counter. I'll be reading this after I do my physics work.

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Kelethor
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm
Yes yours, I used two.

My word counter gave the number I listed above, then I used one online that gave it a little over 1500.

Sorry, I still haven't gotten to reading it yet, I will though, worry not.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:32 pm
Since there seems to be differing numbers I threw into Word 2007 and used it's word count - got 1490.  

fallenangel_Asha

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 pm
HAHAHAHAHA I FEEL SOOOOOO STUPID! I forgot that I had the prompts at the bottom of the page! They were added in when I did the word count. Revised word count is up It is 1491 And I like that number alot more! I can enter this in a contest that I need to enter!!! WOO! however I would really like some feed back. If anyone would like to give any taht would be wonderful. I myself am not a big fan of reading on the computer. I am going to print out the other entrys if taht is okay with the authors so I can read them on paper. I will wait until I have the permission of the authors though smile so the permission would be nice! In the mean time I will start reading them on here! thanks!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm
Evermore Reality
A Silent Sense of Awe

Very impressive story. I found one mistake you forgot an r in one of the yours. Nothing big though. I really enjoyed it  

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

fallenangel_Asha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

The City of the Lost

I think the idea behind it is really intriguing, you could probably make a multichapter story out of it. You're sentence structure is very unique. I am curious whether you chose that style on purpose?
And I suppose it's alright if you want to print my story out to read it...but would you destroy it afterwards? I know that's a strange request...but I'm wierd like that.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:17 pm
fallenangel_Asha
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

The City of the Lost

I think the idea behind it is really intriguing, you could probably make a multichapter story out of it. You're sentence structure is very unique. I am curious whether you chose that style on purpose?
And I suppose it's alright if you want to print my story out to read it...but would you destroy it afterwards? I know that's a strange request...but I'm wierd like that.

I did in fact do that sentence structure on purpose. I thought it added to the structure and thank you and yes I will destroy it afterwards. I was thinking about maybe making it a multi chapter but I would have to put it on the back burner for a while. I am going to be focusing on my book for now.  

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Evermore Reality

4,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:16 am
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
fallenangel_Asha
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

The City of the Lost

I did in fact do that sentence structure on purpose. I thought it added to the structure and thank you and yes I will destroy it afterwards. I was thinking about maybe making it a multi chapter but I would have to put it on the back burner for a while. I am going to be focusing on my book for now.

The whole thing just made me shudder. How terrifying, to be trapped forever because of one stupid choice. Excellent job!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:07 pm
Evermore Reality
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
fallenangel_Asha
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

The City of the Lost

The whole thing just made me shudder. How terrifying, to be trapped forever because of one stupid choice. Excellent job!

well thank you very much. I highly enjoyed your story as well!  

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Alanora Calaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 am
Oh my gosh, more entries! I'm currently about 3/4 through the story now; I finally came up with a good idea! The good news is it's already over 1,000 words. The bad news is it's going to be around 4,000 words. XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:16 pm
Alanora Calaran
Oh my gosh, more entries! I'm currently about 3/4 through the story now; I finally came up with a good idea! The good news is it's already over 1,000 words. The bad news is it's going to be around 4,000 words. XD

you need to hurry up!!! no just kidding. good things take time!  

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 pm
fallenangel_Asha
My Last Train Ride

very good  
Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers