Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild
The rise and fall of William Shatner. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:16 pm
Nerthus_water_nymph
Perhaps
3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:36 pm
Matt Pniewski
Doctor Bonez
Well, the thing is, when one becomes known so well as a character from a show it becomes hard for people to see him as anything else. Kinda like Vic Mignogna is best known as Edward Elric in FullMetal Alchemist.Many fans had a hard time seeing him as anyone else in the anime buisness because he did so well as Ed people could only see him as that character.

Despite that, he has a fan following and an IMDB list a mile long.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0586003/

Quote:

I also heard that he was a lying, homophobic, douched. Who has a big ego like I heard with Shatner. I also hear he shoves the Christian religion
down people's throats during conventions.
Is it true?

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 pm
xXSuperWhateverXx
Matt Pniewski
Doctor Bonez
Well, the thing is, when one becomes known so well as a character from a show it becomes hard for people to see him as anything else. Kinda like Vic Mignogna is best known as Edward Elric in FullMetal Alchemist.Many fans had a hard time seeing him as anyone else in the anime buisness because he did so well as Ed people could only see him as that character.

Despite that, he has a fan following and an IMDB list a mile long.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0586003/

Quote:

I also heard that he was a lying, homophobic, douched. Who has a big ego like I heard with Shatner. I also hear he shoves the Christian religion
Is it true?

Girls like him because he's sexy. And put up with his s**t and defend it.

He's a horrible asshat. He was talking with friends of mine at a convention, pretty much sexually harassing them and they found it cute. These people are no longer friends. Seriously, if somebody acts like a chauvinistic a** and you think it's okay, you are a disgrace to Women everywhere.

But hey. These are anime girls who are completely obsessed with a culture that is historically demeaning to women. While Japan itself has made great strides in Women's rights, the idiot girls who watch their cartoons in American and taking steps backwards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:42 am
Is this thread still complaining about William Shatner?

There isnt much you all know does it? William Shatner did do other things other than star Trek. In fact, he did the first twilight show about a creature on the plain, which was trying to destroy it, yet no one else saw it but him. He also did some Asian drama movie. He has also appeared in a few tv series. The commercials he is doing is like a little break with some income to roll in.  

Trunksmad

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:16 am
Matt Pniewski

Quote:

Is it true?

Girls like him because he's sexy. And put up with his s**t and defend it.

He's a horrible asshat. He was talking with friends of mine at a convention, pretty much sexually harassing them and they found it cute. These people are no longer friends. Seriously, if somebody acts like a chauvinistic a** and you think it's okay, you are a disgrace to Women everywhere.

But hey. These are anime girls who are completely obsessed with a culture that is historically demeaning to women. While Japan itself has made great strides in Women's rights, the idiot girls who watch their cartoons in American and taking steps backwards.

Yeah, I admit I found him really attractive for a little while, but then I heard these things about him and that really turned me off. Like I was on google and I typed his name and put "is" I found the words "douche" and "jerk", so I went to it. I found that so many people that have met him didn't like him.

I also heard he was in Star Trek New Voyages (Star Trek Phase II). Ugh! Why does he have to be in everything! D:<  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 am
Trunksmad
Is this thread still complaining about William Shatner?

There isnt much you all know does it? William Shatner did do other things other than star Trek. In fact, he did the first twilight show about a creature on the plain, which was trying to destroy it, yet no one else saw it but him. He also did some Asian drama movie. He has also appeared in a few tv series. The commercials he is doing is like a little break with some income to roll in.

Sorry, I got a side rant... Got a lot of anime fan friends..... And a feminist girlfriend. Combined her rant with one of mine. Shatner did plenty of B-Grade TV. He also did a film called "The Intruder" which would have been groundbreaking, if people saw it.

He played a "Social Worker" coming into a southern Town that is being integrated. They don't like it, but have accepted the fact that blacks and whites will be going to school together as "The Law." Shatner stirs up trouble, causing the people to first question the law and later create race riots. He riles them up, and they do the rest on their own, going to extremes he didn't want them to go to. People die, people are beaten, and he's lost control of his private little war.

It's one of the first movies about Integration, made in 1964, and I give Shatner a lot of credit. It's his best performance. But at the end he literally transforms from his Racist character to Captain Kirk. His Captain Kirk "voice" is used here to signify his mental breakdown. It's hilarious.

Thing is, they filmed in a small town in the south. And he had a huge racist speech he was giving. And all the town showed up to be "Extras". They were cheering him on, and him and director Roger Corman thought "Wow, they are really in character". Until they realized "Oh, s**t, they think he's the hero..." Plenty of great stories about that movie. Almost got Shatner killed a couple times.

Quote:

Yeah, I admit I found him really attractive for a little while, but then I heard these things about him and that really turned me off. Like I was on google and I typed his name and put "is" I found the words "douche" and "jerk", so I went to it. I found that so many people that have met him didn't like him.

My anime fan friends think he's the best thing ever. Anime fans are worse than Gay guys when it comes to liking douchey, self absorbed guys.  

Matt Pniewski

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 am
Matt Pniewski

Quote:

My anime fan friends think he's the best thing ever. Anime fans are worse than Gay guys when it comes to liking douchey, self absorbed guys.

Yeah, I'm glad there are very few anime's that I like these days.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm
xXSuperWhateverXx
Farthingale
You guys are pretty harsh on poor ol' Bill. He's worked a long time (remember, Star Trek wasn't his first low-paying gig) and brought a lot of people a lot of joy. He's got a great sense of humour, is charming, and able to make fun of himself.

I watched the Mind Meld documentary where he and Nimoy discussed stuff and they both agreed that a lot of the so-called animosity between the cast members was hyped up out of proportion.

It seems strange to me to come on a Star Trek guild and start to pull apart William Shatner. Just sayin'.

I wasn't really being harsh on Bill, Most of the bashing was Matt anyway.
To be honest, if he never portrayed the role of Kirk. The character wouldn't have been as awesome ^-^.
I disagree. Shatner was never really believable in his performance. His acting always seemed forced to me. I apologize for saying this, but a different actor should have been used.  

Doineann

Doineann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 pm
platsdevil
WHO THE HELL DOESN'T WANT WILLIAM SHATNER IN THEIR STAR TREK MOVIE!!!!!!
I don't. Sulu, Spock, Uhura, and McCoy are why I watch TOS. Kirk is a horrible character with a horrible actor, Scotty is kinda meh, and Chekov is downright offensive and degrading.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 am
Exotic Duncan
xXSuperWhateverXx
Farthingale
You guys are pretty harsh on poor ol' Bill. He's worked a long time (remember, Star Trek wasn't his first low-paying gig) and brought a lot of people a lot of joy. He's got a great sense of humour, is charming, and able to make fun of himself.

I watched the Mind Meld documentary where he and Nimoy discussed stuff and they both agreed that a lot of the so-called animosity between the cast members was hyped up out of proportion.

It seems strange to me to come on a Star Trek guild and start to pull apart William Shatner. Just sayin'.

To be honest, if he never portrayed the role of Kirk. The character wouldn't have been as awesome ^-^.
I disagree. Shatner was never really believable in his performance. His acting always seemed forced to me. I apologize for saying this, but a different actor should have been used.

They tried it with a good actor, Jeffrey Hunter, and he backed out. Shatner wasn't believable, but he still did create the famous image, and his bad acting probably helped the show maintain a cult status. Fans like to overlook the fact that many Star Trek Fans fell in love with it not because it was good, but because it was Cheesey and Lame.

About fifteen episodes-Pure Genuis. A handful were pretty good. The rest you watch in the classic MST3k fashion and laugh your a** off. Fans forget this, but this is why the show is remembered. Bad costumes, bad acting, bad effects. With a great team of Sci Fi writers. Kinda like "Land of the Lost" but with a teen audience instead of child audience.

Then he fell victim to the "Christ Curse", a Hollywood legend that claims that everyone who portrays Jesus faces some sort of horrible tragedy. The only notable film about Christ where it didn't happen was Jesus Christ Superstar. You know what that means? God demands more singing and Anachronisms.  

Matt Pniewski

Doineann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 pm
Matt Pniewski
Exotic Duncan
xXSuperWhateverXx
Farthingale

They tried it with a good actor, Jeffrey Hunter, and he backed out. Shatner wasn't believable, but he still did create the famous image, and his bad acting probably helped the show maintain a cult status. Fans like to overlook the fact that many Star Trek Fans fell in love with it not because it was good, but because it was Cheesey and Lame.

About fifteen episodes-Pure Genuis. A handful were pretty good. The rest you watch in the classic MST3k fashion and laugh your a** off. Fans forget this, but this is why the show is remembered. Bad costumes, bad acting, bad effects. With a great team of Sci Fi writers. Kinda like "Land of the Lost" but with a teen audience instead of child audience.

Then he fell victim to the "Christ Curse", a Hollywood legend that claims that everyone who portrays Jesus faces some sort of horrible tragedy. The only notable film about Christ where it didn't happen was Jesus Christ Superstar. You know what that means? God demands more singing and Anachronisms.
You know, I never thought of it that way.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:27 am
I like William Shatner, to me he was very believable as Kirk. He knew when to be serious and we to play it up. Yes Jeffrey Hunter declined to come back to Star Trek because he want to further his acting role in the movie genre. Along with furthering his career he probably felt that the show wasn't going to go any where since he was in the first pilot that got turned by the network. Nimoy came back as Spock probably due to the fact that he was actively looking for a acting role when no one wanted to hire him, supporting a wife and two kids by driving a taxi in between small acting roles. In my opinion, Star Trek TOS is by far better than any of the other series hand down, not only due to Shatner but due to the entire cast of the bridge and the stories both humerus and serious seen during their era.  

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Eiria Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 am
Teh Shat...nah. I think he just became a) too used to the spotlight b) old and tired and c) he has enough money to last him the rest of his life and more, so I doubt he wants to push himself to do anything more strenuous. He just doesn't care at this point.

As for Takei? Don't care. Shatner shouldn't have not RSVP'd; I think he handled that terribly. But whatever. It's his life and he's rolling in the dough as much as he pleases, so I doubt he cares.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:44 pm
Woot!
It's his Birthday! smile  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:02 pm
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000638/board/thread/138297473
Quote:
I am hardly a 'fan boy', just a regular Joe (my name is actually Trevor) who works as a Hollywood catering manager.

Anyhoo, I was responsible for recently arranging the on-site food logistics for a sad, low-budget TV show which depresses the hell out of me. Seriously, even the b-grade actors on this thing were less-than-enthusiastic to work on it! Thats never a good sign!

This thing was so pathetic, they didn't even opt for full catering services. Basically I was just doing coffee, juice, bagels and fruit for the morning - then doing bag lunches! WTF? No hot lunch? Not one of the most prestigious jobs I've had in this industry.

I started probing around into what this thing was, and who was producing it. Turns out it's some hush hush TekWar branded prequel-miniseries thing being bankrolled by none other than The Shat himself! I was (previously) not aware of the fact that Shatty had written ANYTHING.

I guess they just started production and gotta say LAAAAAME! It's not even up on IMDB yet (and I have IMDBPro!). What a crapfest! BROWN BAG LUNCHES are unheard-of on even a lowball Hollywood set.

Anyhoo, guess who I run into on the second day? Mr. Bill Shatner himself! He stopped in, wearing a greasy tank top, 'OP' corduroy shorts which appeared to be from 1988, and flip flops. The swollen red girth of his belly was even peeking out from under the too-tight tank top...sick! He comes right up to me and says "you keepin me on budget food boy?" and I let him have it. No job is worth taking crap from a fat old has-been like Shatner.

I told him he was, quite obviously, a 'cheap son of a b***h' and that he had no regard for the actor's craft. He looked at me dazedly and sputtered a huff out, then went on to pull up his tank top to show me his SHAVED BELLY. Yes, I sh*t you not - his chest and neck were sickeningly hairy, and there was a lot of disgusting tufts creeping up from the waistband of his shorts, but his belly had been shaved completely. He laughed at me, rubbed his belly, and made weird mewling sounds while he snapped his fingers in my face and said "F--k you, food boy, you do what I say, and I say we brown bag it! Keeps the cast on edge!"

I was cleaning up lunch at this point and I'll admit I am sensitive - so I started crying. Shatner mocked me mercilessly. Then he tried to rub that swollen, turgid belly against me! I screamed like a schoolgirl, to be honest, and ran out of there. I made sure to send Billy, my alternate, to the rest of that weeks lunches...

What an awful man!!

Bill Shatner just got a little weirder for me. .____.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff