Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:09 pm
Priestley
Kain1334
1. you are right the time period of the bible was writen when women were being belittled, BUT at the same time it still rose up women (take Esther for example, she went to the king without his permission, which was punishable by death, just to save the jews, and she did just that. Also take Mary, and others, for instance, they found the tomb of Christ empty, yet again RISING up women again) you can say you have proof that it has been tamperd but i can tell you that that proof is infact false. Even though in this time(and the time it was translated) women were thought as nothing more than objects, they still translated the bible the way it was(which was LIFTING up women) if they wanted people to go to it(which they most certainly did) did they still empower women, which would push most from that time away? i say this in itself shows that the bible has not been tampered with, just translated as close as it could be translated.

Did you go to the link that zz1000zz gave in his post about the passage in 1 Corinthians 14 that appears to be a forgery? Does it not confuse you that there is a conflicting message as a result of this apparent forgery? If two apparently opposing statements are made about women, how can both of them be true?

yes i did read it, and it does seem confusing but i will not say that it is infact a contradiction but rather that there is a mistake in my thought, and admitting to myself that i am a fool and i do not understand everything, and dont really have to for God is here with me by my side. But i will still look into it just as i will look into 'if a woman will not cover her face, than have her shave her hair, and if a woman have a shaven head, let her cover her face'  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:48 pm
Kain1334
Priestley
Kain1334
1. you are right the time period of the bible was writen when women were being belittled, BUT at the same time it still rose up women (take Esther for example, she went to the king without his permission, which was punishable by death, just to save the jews, and she did just that. Also take Mary, and others, for instance, they found the tomb of Christ empty, yet again RISING up women again) you can say you have proof that it has been tamperd but i can tell you that that proof is infact false. Even though in this time(and the time it was translated) women were thought as nothing more than objects, they still translated the bible the way it was(which was LIFTING up women) if they wanted people to go to it(which they most certainly did) did they still empower women, which would push most from that time away? i say this in itself shows that the bible has not been tampered with, just translated as close as it could be translated.

Did you go to the link that zz1000zz gave in his post about the passage in 1 Corinthians 14 that appears to be a forgery? Does it not confuse you that there is a conflicting message as a result of this apparent forgery? If two apparently opposing statements are made about women, how can both of them be true?

yes i did read it, and it does seem confusing but i will not say that it is infact a contradiction but rather that there is a mistake in my thought, and admitting to myself that i am a fool and i do not understand everything, and dont really have to for God is here with me by my side. But i will still look into it just as i will look into 'if a woman will not cover her face, than have her shave her hair, and if a woman have a shaven head, let her cover her face'

It appears to me that you would rather doubt your abilities of discernment than the truth of what you read.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 pm
Kain1334
Priestley
Kain1334

You never answered my question. If I intentionally mistranslated the Bible to alter its meaning, would you accept my translation as inerrant as you claim the current ones are?

I can point to half a dozen examples of where that was done in the Bible off the top of my head.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm
Of course, let us not forget Junia, the female Apostle.
And Phoebe, the deacon.
And Priscilla, the teacher of Apollos.

There are women in the Bible who exercised a pastoral role, I think that the only reason there were not more of them was due to social pressures of the time. Paul was very concerned with Christians not gaining the emnity of the Romans - hence all the stuff about not wishing slaves to be freed, praying for leaders, leaders being the tools of God and only punishing the wicked for instance.  

Etaoin Shurdlu

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:17 pm
Etaoin Shurdlu
And Phoebe, the deacon.

There are women in the Bible who exercised a pastoral role, I think that the only reason there were not more of them was due to social pressures of the time. Paul was very concerned with Christians not gaining the emnity of the Romans - hence all the stuff about not wishing slaves to be freed, praying for leaders, leaders being the tools of God and only punishing the wicked for instance.
Er....what verses were they in? O_o

Um...anywho...at least of my own examples of a woman in a traditionally male role, Deborah, only known female Judge for Isreal. Who also led troops into battle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm
Ixor-san
Etaoin Shurdlu
And Phoebe, the deacon.

Er....what verses were they in? O_o

Um...anywho...at least of my own examples of a woman in a traditionally male role, Deborah, only known female Judge for Isreal. Who also led troops into battle.

Offhand, I only know the passage for Junia. That would be Romans 16:7, which was intentionally mistranslated by adding an "s" to Junia, making it Junias. This was done to change the name from a female name to a male name (despite that male name never having existed anywhere).  

zz1000zz
Crew

Hollister Holocaust

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:29 pm
God's Word, when talking about positions in church leadership SPECIFICALLY points out that they are male, repeating "the wife of one woman". Not only this, but it is not woman's role to lead a congregation and have power over men. The job of pastors is specifically for men.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 pm
Wait, what?  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:19 pm
Laoidheach
God's Word, when talking about positions in church leadership SPECIFICALLY points out that they are male, repeating "the wife of one woman". Not only this, but it is not woman's role to lead a congregation and have power over men. The job of pastors is specifically for men.

If you'll read through the previous posts in the thread, you'll see we've already cited multiple examples of female leadership within the Bible.

I also made a point earlier about the fact that in Paul's time women generally weren't taught to read, so it was obvious they shouldn't teach. Why would you let someone uneducated teach you? However, women are now educated and can go to seminary, meaning they can be just as educated, if not more so than men. So why hold them back? if God can dispense wisdom through a woman, who are we to stop it.

And, to be honest, I don't understand how having a v****a makes me any less able of a teacher :/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:03 pm
Laoidheach

*facepalmveinthrob*  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm
Laoidheach

The Bible did not arrive by facsimile from Heaven.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:14 am
`apple dumpling
Laoidheach

If you'll read through the previous posts in the thread, you'll see we've already cited multiple examples of female leadership within the Bible.

I also made a point earlier about the fact that in Paul's time women generally weren't taught to read, so it was obvious they shouldn't teach. Why would you let someone uneducated teach you? However, women are not educated and can go to seminary, meaning they can be just as educated, if not more so than men. So why hold them back? if God can dispense wisdom through a woman, who are we to stop it.

And, to be honest, I don't understand how having a v****a makes me any less able of a teacher :/

Don't try to tell him otherwise. He's a bigot, and when bigots are proven wrong, they melt. You don't want to kill him, do you?  

Matt Pniewski

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:17 pm
Matt Pniewski
`apple dumpling
Laoidheach

I also made a point earlier about the fact that in Paul's time women generally weren't taught to read, so it was obvious they shouldn't teach. Why would you let someone uneducated teach you? However, women are not educated and can go to seminary, meaning they can be just as educated, if not more so than men. So why hold them back? if God can dispense wisdom through a woman, who are we to stop it.

Don't try to tell him otherwise. He's a bigot, and when bigots are proven wrong, they melt. You don't want to kill him, do you?

Actually we've have two really conservative people leave the guild recently because they disagreed with the more liberal side of the guild. Kain actually left specifically because he couldn't convince me that Christianity was the only black and white way to God. Apparently I was blinded by my own stupidity, a false prophet, and he "dusted his feet of me." rofl

But seriously. I just want someone to tell why having different reproductive organs and breasts makes me inadequate to preach God's word. I seriously don't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:43 pm
`apple dumpling

But seriously. I just want someone to tell why having different reproductive organs and breasts makes me inadequate to preach God's word. I seriously don't get it.

I'm still trying to figure this one out myself, okay?

I mean, I understand that I can irritate people by spouting my garbage, but that's garbage that I spout. Things I believe, take or leave it. But this is actually confusing to me. It's one of those things that I hear, and my brain.... Stops.  

Matt Pniewski

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm
Matt Pniewski
`apple dumpling

I'm still trying to figure this one out myself, okay?

I mean, I understand that I can irritate people by spouting my garbage, but that's garbage that I spout. Things I believe, take or leave it. But this is actually confusing to me. It's one of those things that I hear, and my brain.... Stops.

it seems to me that it was just some arbitrary rule handed down with no real purpose except for keeping women down. paul may well have just been a bigot who hated women for some reason or other and so advised the young church in what he thought was best rather than what god thought was best. this is not accusation, merely speculation.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff