Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do I do with the food I give to spirits? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm
Gho the Girl
Distorted_Image
If I were to do this...I would just eat what I offered. I would think my Patron God or Goddess would appreciate such a gesture. I'm not fond of leaving food around....for a while.

Ewwww....lol
If you eat it . . . then what's the gesture? confused
When the Norse do this (I recall Nuri mentioning some Hellenic practices are similar? Or maybe it's out of context) they offer the spiritual essence of the food to the gods, and then eat the corporeal portion.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Distorted_Image
If I were to do this...I would just eat what I offered. I would think my Patron God or Goddess would appreciate such a gesture. I'm not fond of leaving food around....for a while.

Ewwww....lol
If you eat it . . . then what's the gesture? confused
When the Norse do this (I recall Nuri mentioning some Hellenic practices are similar? Or maybe it's out of context) they offer the spiritual essence of the food to the gods, and then eat the corporeal portion.
surprised Oh I see now. Makes sense.

I didn't want to say what you were doing was wrong DI, I just didn't get it. I'm slow on the uptake sometimes.  

Gho the Girl

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 am
Gho the Girl
Also: Lightening
User Image

That is really nice. It does get the power across while still being a simple symbol. Thanks for sharing!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am
I wouldn't be able to use that symbol for lightning because of how I view circles and rotation. It would be a rapidly rotating light bolt in my system. o_O

But definitely good in terms of simplicity, stroke order and formulation. It'll be memorable but it'll still have the significance of a powerful symbol. Very good work. ^^  

Recursive Paradox

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:55 pm
Tsuzuki
You could let them posses you while you eat it.

Yes, and you can commit seppuku aswell.

Hinduism tells you that after the deity in question has taken their nourishment from it, you go ahead and eat it. To do otherwise would be insulting. I may be mistaken, but it might be some idea of fellowship with them.

Other deities from different religions might take offense to that sort of logic... those darn uppity humans again, trying to be on the same level as us gods, again.

But I really have to give kudos to whoever said "that depends upon your gods" or what you believe about these spirits.

Invocations and possessions are a lot more dangerous than folks seem to treat them as. Go ahead and hold a God inside you, when you really don't have a purpose for it except to feed your ego.

Go ahead, and let another soul inside you when you don't really know them. (eww, that sounds like a way to catch an STD!)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
PrometheanSet
Tsuzuki

Invocations and possessions are a lot more dangerous than folks seem to treat them as. Go ahead and hold a God inside you, when you really don't have a purpose for it except to feed your ego.
Proof that invocation for offering has a universal intent of ego-stroking please.  

TeaDidikai

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 pm
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
Tsuzuki

Proof that invocation for offering has a universal intent of ego-stroking please.

Way to take me out of context! If I hit a nerve with your personal practices please let me know, so I can apologize.

Offering has the intent of placating yourself to the deity, or offering hospitality to said spirits. Pulling something else inside of you without a good reason has nothing to do with placating yourself to that.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 pm
PrometheanSet
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
Tsuzuki

Way to take me out of context! If I hit a nerve with your personal practices please let me know, so I can apologize.

Offering has the intent of placating yourself to the deity, or offering hospitality to said spirits. Pulling something else inside of you without a good reason has nothing to do with placating yourself to that.
Unless that deity prefers to inhabit you as you placate it. In which case it does entirely.

You haven't offended her traditions, you've offended her by generalising. You need to prove that invocation during often is always misguided.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
PrometheanSet
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet
Tsuzuki

Unless that deity prefers to inhabit you as you placate it. In which case it does entirely.

You haven't offended her traditions, you've offended her by generalising. You need to prove that invocation during often is always misguided.
Personally, I'd be wary of things that need to "inhabit me" as I "placate them".

And you're quick to point that I generalized when I made as specific example that I could with my limited human knowledge. (Hinduism anyone?)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:10 am
PrometheanSet
Celeblin Galadeneryn
PrometheanSet
TeaDidikai
PrometheanSet

Personally, I'd be wary of things that need to "inhabit me" as I "placate them".
That's fine. But you're not Gho or Tzu for that matter. Perhaps this action is fine by them.

Quote:
And you're quick to point that I generalized when I made as specific example that I could with my limited human knowledge. (Hinduism anyone?)
I'm quick to point out that you generalised because you did in fact generalise. Providing an example doesn't render you inable to generalise.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
PrometheanSet
Celeblin Galadeneryn
PrometheanSet
TeaDidikai

That's fine. But you're not Gho or Tzu for that matter. Perhaps this action is fine by them.

Quote:
I'm quick to point out that you generalised because you did in fact generalise. Providing an example doesn't render you inable to generalise.

Yes, if this action is fine by them, its their choice; however, I would argue that before someone makes a decision, they should be aware that while something else inhabits them, they are not themselves, and may find an aptitude for behaviors they would otherwise *never* partake in. I would relate it to other un-PC activities in that you *really* have to know who you're dealing with.

The difference here, is that there isn't really an effective means of protection; once they're in, they'll do as they please (mainly with your mind).

And once again, from what I can tell this "generalization" accusation comes from where I was taken out of context. Please point to it, so that I may understand what you're talking about.

However, I am curious about where this idea of making offerings to spirits could require "inviting them in" in this way.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:51 am
PrometheanSet
Yes, if this action is fine by them, its their choice; however, I would argue that before someone makes a decision, they should be aware that while something else inhabits them, they are not themselves, and may find an aptitude for behaviors they would otherwise *never* partake in. I would relate it to other un-PC activities in that you *really* have to know who you're dealing with.
Prove this is the case for every entity that would ever call for invocation. Why must a person be overtaken? Why can't can't the relationship be one of symbiosis.

And of course you should know who you're dealing with.

Quote:
The difference here, is that there isn't really an effective means of protection; once they're in, they'll do as they please (mainly with your mind).
Proof? Why must all such entities be malevolent? Why can this never be beneficial. Why do you attempts to have someone take care sound so didactic that your advice comes off as horribly one sided?

Quote:
And once again, from what I can tell this "generalization" accusation comes from where I was taken out of context. Please point to it, so that I may understand what you're talking about.
it didn't stem from where you were taken out of context, mostly because you weren't. You started this whole thing off with reducing Tzuzuki's words to your own experiences. Before you go saying Gods do this or that, tell me which ones, and if you mean all Gods, then tell me why.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 am
PrometheanSet
Tsuzuki

I hardly see a connection.
Quote:

Hinduism tells you that after the deity in question has taken their nourishment from it, you go ahead and eat it. To do otherwise would be insulting. I may be mistaken, but it might be some idea of fellowship with them.
Yes, but what if you're not hindu? Hmmmmmmm . . .
Quote:

Other deities from different religions might take offense to that sort of logic... those darn uppity humans again, trying to be on the same level as us gods, again.
1) Proof that this generalisation is true for all religions and deities?

2) Proof that such a thing is even happening given Tsuzuki's or my paths, and our own understanding of our own deities/otherlings, which you don't seem to have?
Quote:

But I really have to give kudos to whoever said "that depends upon your gods" or what you believe about these spirits.
Yes, you should, because that's way more accurate than what you're presuming.
Quote:

1) I'm talking about spirits, not deities. Read the thread before you go in and over-generalise, it at least makes those generalisations on-topic.

2) It makes no sense to say "a God" as "God" is the name of a specific god, specifically the Christian name for YHVH.

3) If the rite is important (such as completing the procedure for a food offering) then I don't see how it's stroking the practitioner's ego. They're doing what their religion/path says they are supposed to do.

The only ego-stroking I see so far comes from your arrogant tone.
Quote:

Go ahead, and let another soul inside you when you don't really know them. (eww, that sounds like a way to catch an STD!)

Who's saying we don't know them? Again with the generalising and clear lack of understanding of Tsuzuki's or my faith.

If you want to condemn anyone's rites or beliefs, it usually helps to know what they specifically are.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:52 pm
Well I generally capitialise God and Goddess as a sign of respect, so that might be what he's doing. Though when speaking in generalities, I'd probably go with god over God.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 pm
PrometheanSet

Yes, but you only do it with certain foods. Meaning if your food has onions or garlic (which pundits who are priests, can't eat) or any meat products (including eggs, that's who our definition of vegetarianism goes).

You mostly do it with fruits and vegetables, but the temple I go to would offer tiny portions of the lunch, that was after service, during the puja portion of the public service. That's where I found about why they don't put the onions or garlic in the food, because my parents volunteer heavily within the temple.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff