Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
Ixor-san
Chicken and eggs, anyone? XD

Mm....

Serving any eukaryotes today? :9

I'll have mesozoic flora, if you have any.

I can't quite remember why I posted this. It probably had something clever to do with the fact that there are forms of life without male-female distinction.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 pm
It was a good joke.  

Galad Aglaron

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Topic~~~~  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:49 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Topic~~~~

It was on topic, just. I'll rewind it.

Chickens and chicken eggs are eukaryotes. Offspring is created via sexual reproduction, which requires meiosis, which requires chromasomes from both male and female. This is the sole reason for us being male or female. Since God doesn't need to reproduce because He creates, the fact that He possesses the male pronoun is pretty redundant. 3nodding

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:13 pm
Xandris
Well, if God made man in his image, and God is then obviously humanoid, why couldn't he look male?

I don't know why I didn't bring it up before, but what's to say that the term 'image' refers to physiology as well as spirituality? What's to say that "His image" doesn't refer to God's blueprint for man? These are all possible meanings from the English texts. However, I could be missing something in the Hebrew text.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:02 am
Priestley
Yahweh is neither gender as gender is purely a function of sexual reproduction in animals.

Males are considered to be the dominant gender in the majority of species that have male-female sexual reproduction and, as such, have physical characteristics designed to protect their mates and offspring. These characteristics (including gender, strength, power and dominance) have been the way Yahweh has been understood, which is why people refer to Him as 'He'.

I think that's probably the best answer to the topic. neutral  

Adrilaxas

Priestley

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm
grounderous
Priestley
Yahweh is neither gender as gender is purely a function of sexual reproduction in animals.

Males are considered to be the dominant gender in the majority of species that have male-female sexual reproduction and, as such, have physical characteristics designed to protect their mates and offspring. These characteristics (including gender, strength, power and dominance) have been the way Yahweh has been understood, which is why people refer to Him as 'He'.

It's not the best answer but it clearly shows my thinking. It's the only way I can marry the person of God as being 'male' with the the fact that humans generally have two genders.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm
Priestley
grounderous
Priestley

It's not the best answer but it clearly shows my thinking. It's the only way I can marry the person of God as being 'male' with the the fact that humans generally have two genders.

The second paragraph is fine, but the first is wrong. Gender is not an issue of sexual reproduction.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 pm
zz1000zz
Priestley
grounderous
Priestley

The second paragraph is fine, but the first is wrong. Gender is not an issue of sexual reproduction.

I have made clear by my use of 'gender' in this thread that I am referring to biological sex. The primary purpose of biological sex is to produce offspring. God does not need to reproduce. The only evidence for His gender/sex are characteristics associated with the 'male' gender/sex of our species.

For all intents and purposes, I'm avoiding including the complexities of chromosomal abnormality and gender identity in my argument. They may be relevant but they would only serve to complicate the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm
I'm sorry I haven't checked this for a while *smiles*. I see alot of you make the argument that the bible says god is male but is it not true that the writers of the bible lived in a male dominant world. In their minds to call god a she was to call god weak, stupid, and dominated by a higher power. Am I wrong?  

Evalyne Peirs

Devout Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:22 pm
I'm still wondering why the question is even being posed. with all the other crap to fight over/ debate in the bible why would the issue of God's gender even come up.
that being said God would most likely be both and neither. beign intangible means you have no physical form at all, thus neither. Although personality-wise I'd have to say both. God is vengeful and hot-tempered as well as nurturing and insanely jealous. on the other hand since god is a figment of someone's imagination so the point is pretty much mute.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 pm
Lazarus The Resurected
I'm still wondering why the question is even being posed. with all the other crap to fight over/ debate in the bible why would the issue of God's gender even come up.

I'm surprised you have to wonder. Questions and issues are raised and discussed here because people are interested in doing so, mostly to gain different perspectives. The clue is in the guild name.

Lazarus The Resurected
that being said God would most likely be both and neither. beign intangible means you have no physical form at all, thus neither. Although personality-wise I'd have to say both. God is vengeful and hot-tempered as well as nurturing and insanely jealous.

These characteristics aren't limited to gender.

Lazarus The Resurected
on the other hand since god is a figment of someone's imagination so the point is pretty much mute.

That's you're opinion and you're entitled to it. The word for which you're looking is 'moot'.  

Priestley

Galad Aglaron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:21 am
Really, if God is infinite and eternal, then He can't be any one thing. To say that He is something would say that He is not something else, which would be to put limits or definitions on the Divine Presence.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:47 am
Galad Damodred
Really, if God is infinite and eternal, then He can't be any one thing. To say that He is something would say that He is not something else, which would be to put limits or definitions on the Divine Presence.

I like that. Alot. heart  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:49 am
Galad Damodred

Are you deliberately ignoring my previous challenges to this point?  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff