Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Closed Culture/Open Culture Pantheons Which is which? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:41 pm
Fiddlers Green

Most holy persons of the Tribes I have spoken to in my area are open to outsiders, but that is far from a sweeping majority. I find it best to ask, given that there are hundreds, if not thousands of distinct groups covered under "Native Americans".

I've heard from my Anthropology professor that there are those who consider this to be an evil necessity, because there are few or none within the younger generations that are interested in the traditions they would rather open it to interested outsiders then risk losing the traditions entirely.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:37 pm
Most of the people I know that are interested in the Greek Mystery cults in the modern age? Are mostly creating their own Mystery Cults within the context, based on reconstructed details and modern UPG.

Rather fascinating if you ask me, but then, I am a Dionysian.  

maenad nuri
Captain

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm
Recursive Paradox
Guy to girl.

Oh, gosh. I hope everything goes well for you. I heard the surgeries were very painful.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:02 pm
The Norse entry is up. I hope you like it.

Does anyone know what happened to Deo? I haven't seen her in awile. I hope she is ok. . . sweatdrop  

RubyLight

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm
RubyLight

Does anyone know what happened to Deo? I haven't seen her in awile. I hope she is ok. . . sweatdrop
Real life eats her on a semi-regular basis. If you PM her, she will come...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm
TeaDidikai
RubyLight

Real life eats her on a semi-regular basis. If you PM her, she will come....

Thanks, I will.  

RubyLight

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 pm
RubyLight
Recursive Paradox
Guy to girl.

Oh, gosh. I hope everything goes well for you. I heard the surgeries were very painful.

Thank you. I'm in the hormone therapy stages right now. Not quite as painful but certainly has its own issues.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:16 pm
Ultraviolett1127
How does having part minority heritage cancel out the N. European heritage? How do they figure that?

It's called: racism. It's systemic, endemic, and horrible.

TeaDidikai
Never had any problems with the Folkish ones... the Odinists on the other hand...

Often, the Folkish and the Odinists are the same.

Pisses me off, since I'm dedicated to Odin.

Celeblin Galadeneryn
But it's ok, because the guy he killed wasn't really Norwegian, he was a Lapp. And who cares about them? rolleyes stare

Ah, racism in the handy dandy European against European version.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

RubyLight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm
Wicca has been added to the guide. any comments and improvements that could be made, please post them here to let me know.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 pm
maenad nuri
Most of the people I know that are interested in the Greek Mystery cults in the modern age? Are mostly creating their own Mystery Cults within the context, based on reconstructed details and modern UPG.

Rather fascinating if you ask me, but then, I am a Dionysian.

I don't think it would be right to restrict all Dionysian worship that originates from mystery cults, just reconstruction that claims to mimic the real thing. Dionysus was certainly worshipped by people who weren't involved in the cults. Hold on, that means unconfirmed personal gnosis, right?  

Nomad of Nowhere

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 pm
Ruby, the major branch of Hinduism that is open is known as Smarta Hinduism.
Smartists  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:40 pm
SpudCannon
patch99329
I have a dim-view of the reconstructed mystery cults. The mysteries disappeared along with them pretty much.
For the most part, I agree. But ancient poets, playwrights, and philosophers (thinking specifically of Socrates, Aeschylus, and Aristophanes) were occasionally accused of revealing the mysteries in their writings. I certainly don't think there is enough info out there for someone to accurately reconstruct the mystery cults, but there is still some information out there involving their beliefs and practices (out of context, of course). I personally feel that, because initiation is no longer an option and the beliefs/practices have lost their context, they should be left alone.

I guess a better way to put it is that Greek public religion is an open tradition, but attempting to recreate the mystery religions is both impossible and inconsiderate. A lot of texts out there will tell you about Greek rituals without telling you first whether they originated in the mystery religions or the public religion. Recreating/attempting to recreate those observances that originate in the mysteries is probably not the most responsible thing in the world.
You also have to remember that Greek religion is extremely orthopraxic in terms of sacrifices and initiations. If one thing goes wrong, you have to start all over again, which basically affirms your opinion - since initiation isn't possible, you can't become join the old mystery cults. You'd be far safer trying to attain new mysteries from the Gods than fumbling around with the old ones.

Deo: Didn't you know the Uralics are all evil, evil scum? And yet, the reason why that guy stopped calling himself a Nazi is because it pisses off the Slavs.

Slavs good, Uralics bad.

Did I mention that he's ******** delusional? I don't even know how his brand of racism works, and I don't want to even try.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

RubyLight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:07 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny
Ruby, the major branch of Hinduism that is open is known as Smarta Hinduism.
Smartists

Thanks I'll look into it and add it when I get enough info. 3nodding  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas