Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I have a problem Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 pm
ShadowCatSoul
*eye roll* I know what pagan is. I also know the difference between "pagan" and "neo-pagan". I know where the word originated from and what it was supposed to mean. I also know that however much I or anyone else wants it to be true, druids are practically non existant anymore. There are neo-druid societies, but they could never compare to what was before the filthy, theiving Romans. I've also done research on various mythologies and cultures, I love studying different cultures. I practically fell in love with the Celtic (which is also a semi-broad term) and Norse lifestyle/culture/religion. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that I'm spiritually lost, and while Christianity is an easy religion for the most part, I don't necessarily want easy. I want to be spritiually at peace with myself, and I'm a polytheist, so Christianity wouldn't work for me anyway.

You would probably be better off leaving the Celtic gods alone. Unless you're a member of Celtic culture, your words will fall on deaf ears.

Deoridhe has a wonderful Pathways thread on Asatru you should check out 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:12 am
ShadowCatSoul
I also know that however much I or anyone else wants it to be true, druids are practically non existant anymore.

The druids are non-existant.
They were completely and utterly wiped off the face of the planet altogether by a combination of Roman expansion, Roman Catholicism and English expansion.

ShadowCatSoul
There are neo-druid societies

No. There are people pretending to a title they have no right to.
We call that culture rape here.

ShadowCatSoul
filthy, theiving Romans.

The Romans were quite clean and they thieved no more or less than any other culture.
Please keep the racism level at zero.

ShadowCatSoul
I've also done research on various mythologies and cultures, I love studying different cultures. I practically fell in love with the Celtic (which is also a semi-broad term)

The term Celtic is not a term describing a culture. It is a term uniting a set of peoples on linguistic basis only, so I cast aspersion on your "studies".

ShadowCatSoul
I'm a polytheist, so Christianity wouldn't work for me anyway.

Not so  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

error-dot-tar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 am
ShadowCatSoul
*eye roll* I know what pagan is. I also know the difference between "pagan" and "neo-pagan". I know where the word originated from and what it was supposed to mean. I also know that however much I or anyone else wants it to be true, druids are practically non existant anymore. There are neo-druid societies, but they could never compare to what was before the filthy, theiving Romans. I've also done research on various mythologies and cultures, I love studying different cultures. I practically fell in love with the Celtic (which is also a semi-broad term) and Norse lifestyle/culture/religion. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that I'm spiritually lost, and while Christianity is an easy religion for the most part, I don't necessarily want easy. I want to be spritiually at peace with myself, and I'm a polytheist, so Christianity wouldn't work for me anyway.

You may want to keep your change of attitude consistent if you want people to give you serious advice without remarking on said attitude. Just for reference.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:12 am
CuAnnan
ShadowCatSoul
I also know that however much I or anyone else wants it to be true, druids are practically non existant anymore.

The druids are non-existant.
They were completely and utterly wiped off the face of the planet altogether by a combination of Roman expansion, Roman Catholicism and English expansion.

ShadowCatSoul
There are neo-druid societies

No. There are people pretending to a title they have no right to.
We call that culture rape here.

Basically, there are no modern druids, neo-druids, anything like that whatsoever. Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.

CuAnnan

ShadowCatSoul
I've also done research on various mythologies and cultures, I love studying different cultures. I practically fell in love with the Celtic (which is also a semi-broad term)

The term Celtic is not a term describing a culture. It is a term uniting a set of peoples on linguistic basis only, so I cast aspersion on your "studies".

A couple of interesting books on the subject:
"The Atlantic Celts: Ancient People or Modern Invention?" by Simon James.
"The Celts: A Very Short Introduction" by Barry Cunliffe.
"The Ancient Celts" also by Cunliffe.  

niamhybeag

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:04 pm
ShadowCatSoul
*eye roll* I know what pagan is. I also know the difference between "pagan" and "neo-pagan". I know where the word originated from and what it was supposed to mean.

The point I was trying to make is that pagan is such a broad term, that there is no specific (or unified) "pagan" lifestyle. A lot will depend on what tradition, religion, or path you chose to follow, as to what your "lifestyle" will be.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:26 pm
ShadowCatSoul
I don't necessarily want easy.

Prove it.

Stop trying to get us to hand you a religion that appeals to every part of you on a platter, and do the work of exploring and trying things.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 pm
********. It took me five years to even figure out just the concept of the Aspects in a way that made sense.

I'll be lit on fire and thrown into a barrel of rabid weasels before I just give away religious insight to a demanding, petulant, asinine and self righteous little child.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm
Ha! It seems I've yet again said something to irritate at least one or two of you. I can tell by the consistant name-calling. In any case, I apologize again. I cannot (nor will I try to) please everyone. All I really want is more information. I crave knowledge, not just textbook or article stuff, I like to hear other people's points of views as well. I know I will never know everything about everything, but that's perfectly fine with me. And Cu, I thank you for your insight. Sorry about calling it a culture, it's what I say when I don't know any other word to put in it's place. I like being corrected though, means I possibly won't make the same mistake in the future. And I'm not racist agains the romans, just the fact that they wiped out the druids...really makes me mad. Like, blood boiling mad.  

ShadowCatSoul

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm
ShadowCatSoul
All I really want is more information. I crave knowledge, not just textbook or article stuff, I like to hear other people's points of views as well. I know I will never know everything about everything, but that's perfectly fine with me.

We have no problem offering up points of view on things. If you have specific questions on something ask them, but you haven't asked for anything other than general info. That is something that anyone with a bit of their own time to spare can find on their own. If you are not willing to do most of the work in finding your own answers - there isn't much that the rest of us can do to help. Sometimes the answers aren't what's important, it's what you do to get them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:01 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Ha! It seems I've yet again said something to irritate at least one or two of you.

It isn't so much what you've said as it is the attitude behind what you've said. In the end, what we give you will not perfectly suit you. In the end you will have to work to explore and construct the views and methods that you need to find your spirituality and allow it to evolve.

It isn't our job to do it for you. The best we can do for you, the best we even should do for you, is show you a very little bit of what we've seen and give advice on how to explore on your own.

Don't expect more than that and don't complain when you don't get more than that. It makes it hard to help someone when they act petulant and throw tantrums like a spoiled child all while expecting things that they are not the least bit entitled to.

Quote:
And I'm not racist agains the romans, just the fact that they wiped out the druids...really makes me mad. Like, blood boiling mad.

Out of principle or as though it was offensive to you personally? The former makes sense. The latter not so much for you.  

Recursive Paradox

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:14 pm
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul
Ha! It seems I've yet again said something to irritate at least one or two of you.

It isn't so much what you've said as it is the attitude behind what you've said. In the end, what we give you will not perfectly suit you. In the end you will have to work to explore and construct the views and methods that you need to find your spirituality and allow it to evolve.

It isn't our job to do it for you. The best we can do for you, the best we even should do for you, is show you a very little bit of what we've seen and give advice on how to explore on your own.

Don't expect more than that and don't complain when you don't get more than that. It makes it hard to help someone when they act petulant and throw tantrums like a spoiled child all while expecting things that they are not the least bit entitled to.

Quote:
And I'm not racist agains the romans, just the fact that they wiped out the druids...really makes me mad. Like, blood boiling mad.

Out of principle or as though it was offensive to you personally? The former makes sense. The latter not so much for you.

I'm trying to think of specific questions, please be patient with me and my focusing issues. It's hard for me to get specific. And about what the romans did, the druids were a magnificent group of people (personal opinion) who did not deserve the fate they were dealt. I have respect for them, nothing more, nothing less. I am allowed to feel a fondness for them. Many people tell me I was born in the wrong era to the wrong people. Sometimes I think they're right, lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 pm
ShadowCatSoul

I'm trying to think of specific questions, please be patient with me and my focusing issues.

Are you referencing ADD?

My ADD has never impacted my capacity to get specific. It has impacted my capacity to ask questions on a topic at all, as I get diverted or distracted, but what you've done does not sound like focus problems to me at all. It sounds like laziness. Or an attitude of entitlement.

If you can't think of specific questions then just say so and work on figuring them out. Don't keep on asking for us to spill out our secrets in general.

Quote:
It's hard for me to get specific.

Well, you already did get specific once. When you asked everyone how they met their gods. See? You did fine there. Just do that same thing again with a different thing you want to figure out.

Quote:
And about what the romans did, the druids were a magnificent group of people (personal opinion) who did not deserve the fate they were dealt. I have respect for them, nothing more, nothing less. I am allowed to feel a fondness for them. Many people tell me I was born in the wrong era to the wrong people. Sometimes I think they're right, lol.

I think you're developing a personal attachment that isn't really warranted or really makes sense to a group that you may or may not know anything about at all.

How can you really feel a fondness for a group you know barely anything about?  

Recursive Paradox

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 pm
My guess is whatever you have read about the Druids, probably does not even remotely resemble who they really were. Cu could probably give you specifics, as it's not an area that I have any expertise in.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:58 am
ShadowCatSoul
Sorry about calling it a culture, it's what I say when I don't know any other word to put in it's place.

Linguistic grouping.
The Celts had nothing more in common than a parent language group. They worshiped different Gods, had different religions, had different cultures, different socio-political groups.
How about you give us a God or two and a place name or two and we can tell you.

ShadowCatSoul

Why?

ShadowCatSoul
And about what the romans did, the druids were a magnificent group of people (personal opinion)

What's your basis for this?

ShadowCatSoul
who did not deserve the fate they were dealt.

Life's not fair.

ShadowCatSoul
I have respect for them, nothing more, nothing less. I am allowed to feel a fondness for them.

You feel a fondness for a group of people I don't think you know.
And... no. you're not allowed.
This sense of entitlement is what's pissing everyone off.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

error-dot-tar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:44 am
CuAnnan
This sense of entitlement is what's pissing everyone off.

Well no, not really. I have more of a problem with passive aggressive responses. Hence why I keep pointing them out.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff