Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Otherkin Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:49 am

NeysaDestine
Otherkin is usually defined as those whose souls do not mirror their outward appearance,

The Celtic line is that no-one's soul matches their outward appearance.
The soul takes form.
When Dreamwalking inadvertantly it tends to adopt an animal form (your totem).
When Dreamwalking on purpose, you can choose to give it form but your totem will come more naturally to you.
Some strange people in lore (Cu Chullain, for example) had more than one animal in their totem.
Salmon, Wolf, Dog and Bear (I think) all turned up. I know Salmon was his natural form and that he adopted Dog as a consequence to his choices (hence Cu Chullain, "The hound of Cullain")

NeysaDestine
There are also Starchildren

This is a buzzword I've seen thrown about in the same way as I've seen otehrkin thrown about. What is it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:41 pm

Wow... there's a lot there.

Rather than quoting the 15 odd posts I want to, I'll just sum my perspective up.

Anyone here heard of the Enneagram? It's a personality profiling system. Every- and I mean EVERY Otherkin I have ever met face to face has been a Type 4- the just of it is that they are individualists who latch on to anything and everything that makes them different.

Now, without intending to insult anyone, these folks tend to annoy me. Not just Otherkin, but all Type 4s. Chalk it up to a personality conflict. The most common thing I have heard in person, is that they are Otherkin, and they dislike the human race.

I think a lot (not all, but vast majority of the Otherkin population) is not so much running towards a higher spiritual awareness, as much as they are running away from humanity. That makes my teeth itch. There is nothing wrong with being human. Nothing!

The thing that drives me up the wall even more is some Otherkin’s Soapbox rant about how evil humanity is- and how none of their Soul-partners (for lack of a better word), are in any way, shape or form, anything but really nice and awesome and great and wonderful.

Now, the quiet otherkin that aspect the fact that they are unique, just like everyone else- I have no problem with. The other stuff, it grates on me.

Now, I’ve been accused of being otherkin- which makes me chuckle. I have never claimed to be anything other than human.

I think many otherkin need to accept that they are, in fact, human. That their obsession with all things dragon/faerie/vampire/etc- is just that, an obsession.

The Phantom Limb phenomena, and other such “proofs” make me wince a little. Anyone who has any talent with energy work can shape their aura how they please. Such things don’t add up to proof in my book.

Now, that said, I would note that Historically, the concept of Changelings has run throughout almost every culture in the world.

For me, I want to see stuff like Otherkin with my own eyes before I will look at anyone and say, “Fine. You’re a –fill in the blank here-“.

PS: Thanks Nakyra, you have a good head on your shoulders.

TeaDidikai

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:51 pm

Starchildren are essentially people who believe that they were once aliens of a sort, beings that lived on other planets, other stars, other galaxies.

Personally, the more I learn about therians, the more it makes me want to claw my eyes out. A therian to me seems like a furrie on an ego trip. But that's just something personal, and in no way is that comment polite, politically correct, or even kind. Ah well.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a Type 2, The Helper. So there goes that idea.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:59 pm

What percent of Furries do you think consider themselves Otherkin?

I was part of a major Furry Forum a long time ago, and I was the only person who thought I was really a human.

TeaDidikai

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:01 pm

Depends. I would say that a vast majority of real furries think that they are in fact human. They like to pretend that they aren't, but deep down they understand that they are. However, there are people who feel that they are therian/otherkin and just connect to furries first.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:03 pm

SlaineWildfire
Depends. I would say that a vast majority of real furries think that they are in fact human. They like to pretend that they aren't, but deep down they understand that they are. However, there are people who feel that they are therian/otherkin and just connect to furries first.

I'm beginning to wonder how much of this "Otherkin" stuff might be linked to the concepts of Changelings

TeaDidikai

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:21 pm

TeaDidikai
SlaineWildfire

I'm beginning to wonder how much of this "Otherkin" stuff might be linked to the concepts of Changelings

Changelings as in baby faeries swapped for human faeries? It's possible, I guess, but that normally has to do with a physical body. The otherkin concept is usually soulic.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:35 pm

SlaineWildfire
Starchildren are essentially people who believe that they were once aliens of a sort, beings that lived on other planets, other stars, other galaxies.

Urm.... But I don't believe the soul is bound to earth. I believe that, due to the size of the universe, that there must be life on other planets somewhere and that the learning curve would be limited if you only have one planet to work with.

SlaineWildfire
Edit: Oh, and I'm a Type 2, The Helper. So there goes that idea.

[edit]
My Enneagram
6 53 I must be secure and safe to be happy.
3 45 I must be impressive and attractive to be happy.
4 41 I must avoid painful feelings to be happy.
8 41 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
5 38 I must be knowledgable and independent to be happy.
7 36 I must be high and entertained to be happy.
2 36 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
9 32 I must be peaceful and easy to get along with to be happy.
1 31 I must be perfect and good to be happy.

It makes me seem far more well adjusted than I feel right now.
[/edit]

Wait, are you an Otherkin?

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:14 pm

SlaineWildfire
TeaDidikai
SlaineWildfire

Changelings as in baby faeries swapped for human faeries? It's possible, I guess, but that normally has to do with a physical body. The otherkin concept is usually soulic.

The other kind of "changelings" are people that were swapped back after a certain point in time. This typically leaves the human feeling "apart" from humanity as they were raised in a totally different world.

A type 2 eh? That's interesting. I need to adjust my Enneagram detector- I would have thought reagun was an 8.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:31 pm

reagun ban

Yes sir.

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:33 pm

Ack. I meant baby humans swapped for baby faeries. Or vice versa.

And Meh. I don't know, precisely. I believe in it, though. Because I don't feel that the soul is confined to humanity. I believe all living beings have soul.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:25 pm

SlaineWildfire
Ack. I meant baby humans swapped for baby faeries. Or vice versa.

And Meh. I don't know, precisely. I believe in it, though. Because I don't feel that the soul is confined to humanity. I believe all living beings have soul.

I knew what you meant. razz

It's an interesting explination though. It would make more sense to me that every "otherkin" really is human, but are otherkin because they were swapped, then swapped back- that or it's just a good old fashioned obession.

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:10 am

TeaDidikai
A type 2 eh? That's interesting. I need to adjust my Enneagram detector- I would have thought reagun was an 8.

Then you don't really know me.
I neither seek to control nor lead. I am a pawn before my God, if even that.

SlaineWildfire
reagun ban

Yes sir.

In that case, I ask your forgiveness. I have been saying that Ges was the only example that I knew of who struck me as believable.
I did not realise that you were Otherkin.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:27 pm

reagun ban
TeaDidikai

quote]

Actually, a confident 6 and a standard 8 are pretty easy to mix up. My friends got me the other way around. They thought I was a 6.

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:35 pm

TeaDidikai
reagun ban
TeaDidikai

Actually, a confident 6 and a standard 8 are pretty easy to mix up. My friends got me the other way around. They thought I was a 6.

I agree, having further researched the system.
My apologies for my abrasive tone. Habit and all
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces