Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Glorious Leader Luna

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am
You could have some sort of Wonderful technology what accidentally stop your people from developing Psykers in the first place

my lot embraced cybernetics before Psykers started to appear
given that most of the brain is replace Psykers don't exist within my Empire borders this may have saved them from the worse of the Age of Strife
but they can't use the warp
thus they are alike to the Tua in travel  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 am
Psykers appeared. But the government response was swift and brutal. The republic instituted a manditory psyonics program. Coming to the conclusion that deamons poessing the occasional psyker were lies given form they labotimised all psykers they could get their hands on.
these cold emotionless "truth sayers" are more powerful than the average human psyker due in part to their training under controlled circumstances. If they do become poessed they usally put a gun in their mouth. The suiside rate is about 67%
Truth sayers are mind readers and defensive psykers, it is physically impossible for them to lie to themselves or others.
this allowed the Republic to survive the age of strife, though not unscathed.  

Iron Wolf 85

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:41 am
Geez, no surprise there then. Anything else that you're trying to one-up the Imperium with?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 pm
I didn't finish...
they are not taught how to use their powers to kill, because they they might be able to kill lots and lots of people. Their meant to guide and protect, not attack.
they focus on defending troops from other psikers, and are not meant to attack the offending psyker.

He sounds impressive but is a psychic wall, and nothing more.

that and whereas the IG can afford to take up to 5+ psykers (just because they can doesn't mean they should)
New Sol can't take more than two truthsayers.

The 85th engineers (my regiment) started out as guard, but as I expanded on their fluff they became more than a guard regiment, they became a whole new army, (fluff wise I still use guard). So the Imperum was my starting point... I'm not trying to one up the imperum, but somtimes it looks that way because that's what I started as.  

Iron Wolf 85

Iron Wolf 85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 am
anybody got advice on high level units?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 pm

Maybe you should put down your thoughts and we can help you refine them.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Iron Wolf 85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 pm
one of the things I was thinking of was an elite tank called the Reclamer.
It's a close combat orented tank, pulling in other vehicles, grinding them down, and chopping them up (and crushing infantry when the situation calls for it) it leaves cubes of raw materals behind it.

Caliope Rocket truck: I found equipping a light fast truck with a large number of morters to simulate the rockets effect. The Caliope is lightly armored, and fast when compared to a tank. I tinkered with the design and it came out like a large Cargo Truck carrying a whole lot of rockets in the trailor. Making it mobile and quickly deployed artilery.

Repulic Areo troopers: The power and skill of the space marines is known across the galaxy, after encountering these supersoldgers on the battlefield (and nearly being discovered because of it) New Sol responded with the Areo trooper a heavily armed and armored "Marine killer" unit. They use ARRs (Automatic Resoiless Rifiles) to take out light vehicles and heavy infantry. and jetpacks to get away before the enemy can react. Their major drawback is their pricetag this has kept New Sol from fielding them in large numbers.
The areo trooper is not designed for sustained hand to hand combat he is a hit and run enemy. (otherwise he risks being ripped apart by a very angry Space Marine)

Military Engineers: the Castle and Cogs symbol of the engineers is the equlivent of a skull and crossbones in the eastern fringe. Specalizing in fortifications, traps, and hidden explosives, as well as hiding theselves. Encased in cyberneticaly enhanced battle armor they are also adept at using their engineering torches and Emp grenades to leathal effect in close combat both against infantry and tanks.

Combat engineers: capable of making effective and useful battlefield repairs quickly, these are not their trap building cousins, these men are armed with a high caliber revolver, a flak vest, and their toolkits. On the brightside this means they are cheap and fast, but it also means they are not frontline troops. They are no match for a squad of guardsmen (mostly due to the revolver's short range and the superior number of opponents)

I'm thinking of more and these ones can be upgraded.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 pm
Quote:
It's a close combat orented tank, pulling in other vehicles, grinding them down, and chopping them up (and crushing infantry when the situation calls for it) it leaves cubes of raw materals behind it.

Something better (for the sake of explanation) might be a walker. Put all of the destruction and deconstruction assemblies on its underside so that it can lower itself down and "digest" the vehicle from top to bottom.

Quote:
Caliope Rocket truck: I found equipping a light fast truck with a large number of morters to simulate the rockets effect. The Caliope is lightly armored, and fast when compared to a tank. I tinkered with the design and it came out like a large Cargo Truck carrying a whole lot of rockets in the trailor. Making it mobile and quickly deployed artilery.

You saw my old thoughts on this. Just make sure that it doesn't get too overpowered. AT MOST, maybe a Heavy 3 S6 AP4 missile firing at BS3. The truck itself should be AV10-10-10 open topped.

Quote:
Repulic Areo troopers: The power and skill of the space marines is known across the galaxy, after encountering these supersoldgers on the battlefield (and nearly being discovered because of it) New Sol responded with the Areo trooper a heavily armed and armored "Marine killer" unit. They use ARRs (Automatic Resoiless Rifiles) to take out light vehicles and heavy infantry. and jetpacks to get away before the enemy can react. Their major drawback is their pricetag this has kept New Sol from fielding them in large numbers.
The areo trooper is not designed for sustained hand to hand combat he is a hit and run enemy. (otherwise he risks being ripped apart by a very angry Space Marine)

Good way of balancing them, kind of like Scourges. Good heavy weapons, but a high pricetag and mediocre skills in CC. Just make sure that the price reflects the benefits well (meaning that they need to be spendy). Also, to fit the fluff, maybe they could have the Hit and Run USR.

Quote:
Military Engineers: the Castle and Cogs symbol of the engineers is the equlivent of a skull and crossbones in the eastern fringe. Specalizing in fortifications, traps, and hidden explosives, as well as hiding theselves. Encased in cyberneticaly enhanced battle armor they are also adept at using their engineering torches and Emp grenades to leathal effect in close combat both against infantry and tanks.

Maybe a possible rename to "Terror Engineers" would be better if they specialize in traps and hidden explosives. Something you might want to look at for reference would be Codex: Catachan to get a reference on the specialized booby traps that they were able to lay. I'd say to make it so that they have to choose their weapons, though. Make the cutting torches something like a combi-melta where they only carry enough fuel for a single blast. Same on their flamer possibilities.

Quote:
Combat engineers: capable of making effective and useful battlefield repairs quickly, these are not their trap building cousins, these men are armed with a high caliber revolver, a flak vest, and their toolkits. On the brightside this means they are cheap and fast, but it also means they are not frontline troops. They are no match for a squad of guardsmen (mostly due to the revolver's short range and the superior number of opponents)

I liked the earlier ideas on these that you had in the old thread. For repairing vehicles, make it so that they need to have 2+ models in contact with the vehicle at the end of the movement phase to repair the vehicle on a d6. Every additional model in b2b makes for an additional repair die.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Iron Wolf 85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 am
I like those ideas....  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:55 pm
changing entry name to terror engineers.
the Reclaimer was one of the high end tanks IE: started with the baneblade chassis and added some stuff, took away others. the main thing is the grinder.
The Walker Idea makes much more sense for a light vehicle choice though, I could see it starting as somthing like a cargo loader. Then as time went on they became more heavily used on the battlefield, used to get in fast and grind down disabled vehicles and carry away the scrap. if needed they can disable hit other vehicles and grind down their armor. they are vunrible to anti-tank weapons though.

I am changing the regular engineers to combat engineers, and equipping them properly. (going back to their roots)

The colipe is still a small open toped truck with a couple of rockets. It is used for hit and run light artilery. it's rockets are not that powerful.

But now it has a bigger brother the Terpskyre, it's name means chorus, housing many many large rockets. the Terpsikyre is used as heavy artilery firing massive salvos of rockets. not actually used on the battlefield. But from firebases behind the lines. Like it's little brother the Terpskyre's tubes have been cut in such a way that it "sings" when fired but whereas the tone of the Caliope is high and energetic. It's big brother sings a haunting and sad tune as if it mourns the distruction it brings. The local orks have learn to hit the dirt, or hide behind somone bigger when they hear that song. (this is a weapon that would appear on the field in an Apoclypse game but calling in a salvo is an armory option for generals, and other command squad officers.)

Their standard battle tank is the Enforcer. being unable to send in the sheer numbers of tank as the imperum they have opted for quality over quantity. any suggetions on how to arm them?  

Iron Wolf 85

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Iron Wolf, you massively contradicted yourself. You claim that "President Smith" is a psyker that goes into battle wielding warp lightning. Earlier, you said that all psykers are taken and lobotomized. So...which is it? Why would this one man have been overlooked from the lobotomies as a child? Why the hell did he escape a system wide law?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:28 pm
I thought all that up on the fly (in about ten minutes) and that usally comes out contradicting itself. That's why I post it here to edit and prefect it.
I was wondering weather to make President Smith a deamon or a psyker. Because an elected leader is at the for front of the people's minds that could have some interisting affects in the warp.

actually I think deamon works best. Here's the basic idea IF I make him a deamon:
The senate attempts to create a fake leader code named "Mr. Smith" it worked for a while because almost nobody sees the president. They were suprised when Smith's popularity and strengh in the mind of the people caused him to take on a physical form. He may be a deamon, but he is bound to the Republic, a living symbol of the will of the people. Simmilar to the way the "Angels" and "Saints" that appear for the sisters of battle. He is a deamon of Order instead of Chaos
He is opposed to Tzench. Being generally honest and forthright, often bringing down subversive plots against the republic. He has no agenda of his own. Only enacting the will of his supporters.
If the civilan populace of the republic is threatened he takes to the field to protect them.
though he appears as a young man with brown hair in a grey suit. he is in reality hundreds of years old.  

Iron Wolf 85

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:33 pm

Interesting, but it still contradicts your story a bit and it contradicts some rules of logic.

If he is violently opposed to acts of subversion, wouldn't he turn on the people that created him? The republic created a puppet leader to fool the people, but the resonated belief and hope in this president made him become real. So...wouldn't he destroy the government for lying about his "existence?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:26 pm
It was intended to conflict itself a little, much of the 40k fluff does. I was thinking of phrasing it like an inquisition report.
Just because he's direct does not mean he can't be quiet about it.
He eliminated those consperiters that created him, but he did so quietly. They were exicuted for "decieving the populace, and subverting the government."
Smith doesn't lie, but he doesn't volenteer information either. If you were to walk up to him and ask him to his face "Are you a Deamon?" he'd reply "I was born of the warp" but how many people are going to be that direct?
His position is mostly cermonial, but his opinion is highly respected in the senate.
He is a greater deamon, but exercises his power responsibily. He does not tolerate chaos deamons within the Republic, their presence is irritating to him like someone poking you with a little pin. Bigger the deamon bigger the poke...
He is like an internal affairs office, he keeps the senate from falling to petty disputes, or chaos corrruption, and keeps the republic free of cults.
There is actually a hall of defeated, a large hall housing the helms of those Chaos commanders who have tried to begin cults within the republic.  

Iron Wolf 85

Fiction Subforum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces