Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Music - Related Topics
What band/artist got you into our subculture's music? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arkythiana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:47 pm
For a long time, I thought that goth was only a fashion, but it was something that I found really beautiful, different, and unique. A few years later I kind of became re-interested in it and looked it up on the internet. After listening to a few of the original goth bands, I was like "no way, I can't stand this music." But then I gave Siouxsie and the Banshees a chance and found that I really liked it. From there, it kind of grew on me. Now I like a lot of Bauhaus's stuff, especially The Sky's Gone Out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:28 pm
XWraith_LordX
Lucifer Over London
TwiztidMetal
Fine, I accepted all the hate just by posting that, but I don't really think anyone that posts s**t like this has really even listened to them.

I've heard every band you've mentioned, and seen many of them in concert, some multiple times. None of them have the slightest thing to do with goth in any way, especially ICP.
Although I agree with you, I think your previous comment about cracksmoking was a bit uneccessary.

Related to this:

One thing I've noticed in many introductions from new members is a high frequency of bands like TwiztidMetal listens to and not too many mentions of the Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, Christian Death, or other goth bands. I'm not sure if those people think that what they listen to is goth or not, but I have a feeling they don't...

Indeed, they usually don't but think they do. They usually think if they wear black clothes and eyeliner that they qualify xd  

Lord Beckon

Xahmen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 pm
Most certainly it was The Wiggles.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:57 pm
Hmm, I've listened to so much music over the years, I can't remember. I was listening to alot of different bands at the time, Evanescence and Malice Mizer really made a huge impression on me at the time (Malice Mizer is still one of my favorites), I started listening to and fell in love with Dir en Grey in 8th grade... also fell in love frantically with Kill Hannah and Hawthorne Heights. Even before that? I listened to Linkin Park, Bon Jovi, Papa Roach, Creed, Nickleback, J-pop and K-pop, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks... stuff like that.

Really, I loved Mana especially from Malice Mizer, his style of dress and looks really influenced me... the first music video by them I ever saw was Beast of Blood, which is still one of my favorites.  

Angel of the End

SADERR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 pm
Mine would be a band from Budapest,Hungary called The MooN, and a Japanese visual kei band called BLOOD. I found them on Vampirefreaks and fell in love. From there came some more famous ones like Siouxsie and tthe banshees, Bauhaus, and newer stuff like HIM and Lacuna Coil.

Angel of the end:
The fact you include hawthrone heights in your list of gothic music disgusts me. As does the rest of it. Please do some studying. Most of those bands are quite fine, but have never been, and never will be goth.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:51 pm
Angel of the End
Hmm, I've listened to so much music over the years, I can't remember. I was listening to alot of different bands at the time, Evanescence and Malice Mizer really made a huge impression on me at the time (Malice Mizer is still one of my favorites), I started listening to and fell in love with Dir en Grey in 8th grade... also fell in love frantically with Kill Hannah and Hawthorne Heights. Even before that? I listened to Linkin Park, Bon Jovi, Papa Roach, Creed, Nickleback, J-pop and K-pop, Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks... stuff like that.

Really, I loved Mana especially from Malice Mizer, his style of dress and looks really influenced me... the first music video by them I ever saw was Beast of Blood, which is still one of my favorites.

Hi. I'm fairly certain that the intent of this thread was to list bands that got you into goth.
So how did that huge list of decidedly non-goth bands get you into goth?  

Death of Cool

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 pm
Death of Cool
Hi. I'm fairly certain that the intent of this thread was to list bands that got you into goth.

Mind you, sometimes, non-goth groups get people into goth.

I myself listened to a lot of non-goth music in middle school that my idiot classmates said was goth. I didn't really know what goth was, so I looked it up, and found that I liked it more than what I was already listening to.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:36 pm
GilAskan
Death of Cool

Mind you, sometimes, non-goth groups get people into goth.

I myself listened to a lot of non-goth music in middle school that my idiot classmates said was goth. I didn't really know what goth was, so I looked it up, and found that I liked it more than what I was already listening to.

I know. Hence the second part of my post.  

Death of Cool

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:17 pm
Jonathonn
Mine would be a band from Budapest,Hungary called The MooN, and a Japanese visual kei band called BLOOD. I found them on Vampirefreaks and fell in love. From there came some more famous ones like Siouxsie and tthe banshees, Bauhaus, and newer stuff like HIM and Lacuna Coil.

Angel of the end:
The fact you include hawthrone heights in your list of gothic music disgusts me. As does the rest of it. Please do some studying. Most of those bands are quite fine, but have never been, and never will be goth.

I know they are not goth, dearest fool. I am saying the style of music that eventually led to me finding bands such as The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Malice Mizer, Phantasmagoria, and so on.
Keep in mind as well, I did go through a time of being an "emo" kid. I'm not one of those people who goes around saying, "I've always been goth" or that I am "gothier than thou"....
If I wanted to include Britney Spears or Lady Gaga ((which I would rather die than have to listen to that stupid Disco Stick Love Game whatever song again)), and say that I clicked a link from one of their videos randomly on youtube to discover no other than Emilie Autumn (random), that should be a proper story to tell.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 pm
Music gets a person into a certain mind set. I discovered several bands by listening to other bands that were around in that time frame, or that happened to also fall into the catagorization of Rock. I started listening to more and more bands, at one point in 8th grade, I could list easily over 200 bands/artists that I memorized or knew atleast one song from. Music also got me into poetry. It has always doubled my life, in a way... by listening to J/K-Pop when I had a Xanga in 6th grade, I discovered Japanese rock. Later, in 8th grade, looking up Japanese rock, I came across Visual Kei. And then, gothic visual kei bands....

baiscally, what I am saying is that, over time, one thing led to another.

((BTW, I still like Kill Hannah and Hawthorne Heights people -_- psh, get over yourselves... It's not like I'm listening to R&B or anything))  

Angel of the End

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm
Angel of the End
gothic visual kei bands....

No such thing  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:14 pm
What got me into goth was...hmm, I listened to a lot of metal/glam/classic rock (still do, of course) kind of stuff like Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, etc., and also a lot of new-wave/80's kinda stuff such as Depeche Mode, David Bowie, Duran Duran....and, then somewhere along the way, I learned about Industrial and started listening to industrial music, and found an instant love for it. Since then, I listen to different kinds of gothic music as well, though I really love Industrial. The first industrial band I listened to was, I believe...Deadstar Assembly...?  

Mydnyte Dystopia

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Lord Beckon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:46 pm
Angel of the End
Music gets a person into a certain mind set. I discovered several bands by listening to other bands that were around in that time frame, or that happened to also fall into the catagorization of Rock. I started listening to more and more bands, at one point in 8th grade, I could list easily over 200 bands/artists that I memorized or knew atleast one song from. Music also got me into poetry. It has always doubled my life, in a way... by listening to J/K-Pop when I had a Xanga in 6th grade, I discovered Japanese rock. Later, in 8th grade, looking up Japanese rock, I came across Visual Kei. And then, gothic visual kei bands....

baiscally, what I am saying is that, over time, one thing led to another.

((BTW, I still like Kill Hannah and Hawthorne Heights people -_- psh, get over yourselves... It's not like I'm listening to R&B or anything))

Are you saying that people can't listen to R&B and Goth at the same time? confused  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:19 am
Angel of the End
Jonathonn

Angel of the end:

I know they are not goth, dearest fool. I am saying the style of music that eventually led to me finding bands such as The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Malice Mizer, Phantasmagoria, and so on.
Keep in mind as well, I did go through a time of being an "emo" kid. I'm not one of those people who goes around saying, "I've always been goth" or that I am "gothier than thou"....
If I wanted to include Britney Spears or Lady Gaga ((which I would rather die than have to listen to that stupid Disco Stick Love Game whatever song again)), and say that I clicked a link from one of their videos randomly on youtube to discover no other than Emilie Autumn (random), that should be a proper story to tell.

Ohh okay. Yeah, I hear you on that. My apologies.
In that factor I suppose I have to give credit to Blink182, Greenday, The Offspring, Good Charlotte, and whatever other poppunk bands I started off (and still love) listening to. Yes, I am not really embarassed to say I started off as a punk, and still pull from that fashion sense quite a bit.  

SADERR

Draco Vampir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 am
MediaclCunt
I'd say most definitely, VNV Nation, their "Futureperfect" album to be exact.

That is not goth. That is EBM/Electro.
Don't get me wrong, it's still some goddamn good music, but it's not goth, even if they're constantly erroneously lumped in with goth.

What got me into goth music was The Bauhaus, first song I heard from them was "In the Flat Field" and it really made an impression on me. Not long after I heard some joy division, sisters of mercy, siouxsie and the banshees, and UK Decay, and later than that, Christian Death, and 45 grave. Deathrock was what really got me into it and I started exploring youtube and tracking down old videos, linking from those videos to other bands, and so on and so forth. I'm really liking Cinema Strange, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, and Corpus Delicti at the moment.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff