Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Vamps Vs Goths What's the Difference Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bonitachocolat

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 pm
Thanks for the info everyone. I thought Goth was more of a mind thing-like how you think and perceive things- than the music. smile  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 pm
This Old Oscillator
Naztakuan
Sinister Kung Fu
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.
but i don't like most gothic music or at least what i've heard i don't like.
and what about if you only like the gothic clothes or if you like to drink blood. can you be goth and not dress in all black or not like death metal and still be gothic?
what makes a goth a goth?

the defining factor is the appreciation of goth rock. there is nothing else that makes you a goth. Since the goth culture grew from the music, the two are inseparable.

Sooo, if you can't HEAR goth music, you aren't goth? It seems to me that there are plenty of deaf goths. So I'm assuming Goth actually does discriminate against the diasbled? I mean I have disagree with you on that simply because Goth as it was defined has evolved into something beyond the music. If you can't hear, you can't appreciate the music and if you can't appreciate music, you can't appreciate goth music, which means if you are deaf, you cannot be goth. Is that what you are trying to say? Because I thought being goth was something much deeper than that.Or maybe it's two seperate definitions of goth. After all, no one OWNS the goth title. Last time I checked goth was also a type of art and the name of a Germanic tribe. The goth musicians of the 70s simply stole the title and tried to act like they owned it. Goth seems to pertain to a mindset, an attitude, a lifestyle, not just audiowaves that only the fortunate can be priveledged to hear.

Medieval Gothic architecture, and Germanic tribes have absolutely no relation to the current goth subculture, so you may as well just drop that ridiculous line of thought now.
The subculture is without a doubt tied inextricably to the music. If you can't comprehend that, you either know absolutely nothing about goth, or you're just an idiot. Either way, based on that nonsense you wrote, it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

stare Someone's a little CLOSE-minded....So much for an OPEN-minded goth.  

bonitachocolat

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:00 am
srrws_knckng_on_my_wndw
This Old Oscillator
Naztakuan
Sinister Kung Fu
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.
and what about if you only like the gothic clothes or if you like to drink blood. can you be goth and not dress in all black or not like death metal and still be gothic?

the defining factor is the appreciation of goth rock. there is nothing else that makes you a goth. Since the goth culture grew from the music, the two are inseparable.

Sooo, if you can't HEAR goth music, you aren't goth? It seems to me that there are plenty of deaf goths. So I'm assuming Goth actually does discriminate against the diasbled? I mean I have disagree with you on that simply because Goth as it was defined has evolved into something beyond the music. If you can't hear, you can't appreciate the music and if you can't appreciate music, you can't appreciate goth music, which means if you are deaf, you cannot be goth. Is that what you are trying to say? Because I thought being goth was something much deeper than that.Or maybe it's two seperate definitions of goth. After all, no one OWNS the goth title. Last time I checked goth was also a type of art and the name of a Germanic tribe. The goth musicians of the 70s simply stole the title and tried to act like they owned it. Goth seems to pertain to a mindset, an attitude, a lifestyle, not just audiowaves that only the fortunate can be priveledged to hear.

Medieval Gothic architecture, and Germanic tribes have absolutely no relation to the current goth subculture, so you may as well just drop that ridiculous line of thought now.
The subculture is without a doubt tied inextricably to the music. If you can't comprehend that, you either know absolutely nothing about goth, or you're just an idiot. Either way, based on that nonsense you wrote, it's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

stare Someone's a little CLOSE-minded....So much for an OPEN-minded goth.

How exactly is correcting someone who's spouting off a bunch of stupid s**t that happens to be wrong closed minded?  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:34 am
DioRte
Sinister Kung Fu
Draco Vampir
Sinister Kung Fu
The one factor that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that "otherkin" are completely full of s**t - they all have to be something 'cool'. notice none of them are ever goats, or lobsters, or platypuses. They all pretend to be vampires, or elves, or dragons, or wolves or some other equally ridiculous nonsense.

I'm just going to have to say something about this.
You speak of what you do not understand. your blatant disrespect and hatred is both unneccessary and uncalled for, as well as unacceptable(that's three uns, dipshit)
Otherkin and vampires do not have things easy. the awakening process is often violent, unpredictable, and uncomfortable. things change in your life even if you were comfortable with them before, and you have to keep up with taking care of yourself in spiritual ways as well as physical ways. this is both demanding and taxing.
Also, not all otherkin/therians are something that most people would consider "cool". I myself am a dragonkin, yes, but my girlfriend is a cat therian, and an online friend of mine is a rabbit therian. nothing all that great there. I've heard of everything from elves, faeries and dragons to rabbits, horses and foxes. the range of kin and therians are just as diverse and wide ranging as the range of human personalities.

Now as for vampirism, this is something that is nothing like movies. it's uncomfortable, inconvenient, and doesnt come with all the romanticized crap that's on the big screen. no immortality, no supersexualized air, no 'creature of the night' crap. just a hard time with the sun, constant headaches, and the need to keep up with feeding off of people's energy. it's not great, but it's not all bad either. it's just another aspect of life, and it doesnt make us any better or any worse than the rest of humanity.

Now kindly pull your head out of your a** you ignorant sow.

Seriously dude, shut the ******** up. You sound like a ******** nimrod. You're not a ******** dragon, you're a delusional dipshit.

As much of an a** I may feel like for saying this, to disagree with Sinister Kung Fu is to wholeheartedly admit yourself to being a delusional mentally disturbed individual. There is absolutely zero evidence of anything of the sort even being physically possible. Science has absolutely destroyed everything as far as supernatural phenomenon are concerned. We've analyzed enough of the human body to pretty much know damn well what is and isn't possible for a human being, and being an "otherkin" is absolutely impossible. Technically it's possible that in the [very] far future we may be able to genetiacally engineer organisms to create crazy hybrids, but there's no use for that sort of experimentation. Nothing could come from it that wouldn't inevitably lead to strange, disturbing cults and freak accidents causing fatalities. ******** Jurassic Park, ******** androids, ******** half-human/half-anything else. You don't have scales, you have an average human epidermis and everything else human. If you were get your body dissected and analyzed, you'd be perfectly normal. The only thing anyone might find from analyzing yourself is a disturbed psyche.

it's perfectly possible for one to identify with various animals and metaphysical beasts as well as possess various psychological, spiritual, and even physical aspects of them. this is also common to many older religions.  

AEtherclaw

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am
AEtherclaw
DioRte
Sinister Kung Fu
Draco Vampir
Sinister Kung Fu
The one factor that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that "otherkin" are completely full of s**t - they all have to be something 'cool'. notice none of them are ever goats, or lobsters, or platypuses. They all pretend to be vampires, or elves, or dragons, or wolves or some other equally ridiculous nonsense.

I'm just going to have to say something about this.
You speak of what you do not understand. your blatant disrespect and hatred is both unneccessary and uncalled for, as well as unacceptable(that's three uns, dipshit)
Otherkin and vampires do not have things easy. the awakening process is often violent, unpredictable, and uncomfortable. things change in your life even if you were comfortable with them before, and you have to keep up with taking care of yourself in spiritual ways as well as physical ways. this is both demanding and taxing.
Also, not all otherkin/therians are something that most people would consider "cool". I myself am a dragonkin, yes, but my girlfriend is a cat therian, and an online friend of mine is a rabbit therian. nothing all that great there. I've heard of everything from elves, faeries and dragons to rabbits, horses and foxes. the range of kin and therians are just as diverse and wide ranging as the range of human personalities.

Now as for vampirism, this is something that is nothing like movies. it's uncomfortable, inconvenient, and doesnt come with all the romanticized crap that's on the big screen. no immortality, no supersexualized air, no 'creature of the night' crap. just a hard time with the sun, constant headaches, and the need to keep up with feeding off of people's energy. it's not great, but it's not all bad either. it's just another aspect of life, and it doesnt make us any better or any worse than the rest of humanity.

Now kindly pull your head out of your a** you ignorant sow.

Seriously dude, shut the ******** up. You sound like a ******** nimrod. You're not a ******** dragon, you're a delusional dipshit.

As much of an a** I may feel like for saying this, to disagree with Sinister Kung Fu is to wholeheartedly admit yourself to being a delusional mentally disturbed individual. There is absolutely zero evidence of anything of the sort even being physically possible. Science has absolutely destroyed everything as far as supernatural phenomenon are concerned. We've analyzed enough of the human body to pretty much know damn well what is and isn't possible for a human being, and being an "otherkin" is absolutely impossible. Technically it's possible that in the [very] far future we may be able to genetiacally engineer organisms to create crazy hybrids, but there's no use for that sort of experimentation. Nothing could come from it that wouldn't inevitably lead to strange, disturbing cults and freak accidents causing fatalities. ******** Jurassic Park, ******** androids, ******** half-human/half-anything else. You don't have scales, you have an average human epidermis and everything else human. If you were get your body dissected and analyzed, you'd be perfectly normal. The only thing anyone might find from analyzing yourself is a disturbed psyche.

it's perfectly possible for one to identify with various animals and metaphysical beasts as well as possess various psychological, spiritual, and even physical aspects of them. this is also common to many older religions.

Identifying with an animal is a far cry from believing you are not truly human.  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 am
Hollow_Banki
hey what up?
my name is Lee and i'm a vampire.
well not in the Bram Stoker's Dracula way anyway.
ok i like blood and the night and i don't like the sun all that much.
but a lot of things i like are gothic and i was thinking what the difference is really?
what makes and goth a goth and a vamp a vamp?
or are we all just on different levels in the same gothic world?
i want to get to know the rest of you better so tell me what you think.

goth: listens to post-punk and may often feel a compulsion to engage in some art form and or place a higher value in some form of history.

vampyre: feeds off of energy and/or often feels a compulsion to consume human blood. may also form an aversion to direct sunlight and/or heightened night vision. DOSE NOT NEED TO KILL TO GET BLOOD and often cares a grate deal about the health and well being of the donor.  

AEtherclaw

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:14 pm
I think i have a pretty clear idea of what makes a goth and a vampire now.

A goth is someone who likes the music genre goth rock(etc). One can have a liking of the night or dark clothing and even have a dark outlook on life but if you are not into or have not heard the music the you are only Gothic, not a goth.

As for a vampire there are many people who want to be immortal or wish to have what this fictional beast is said to have. but no one is immortal so no one can really be a vampire. but people identify with the romantic and artistic aspects. the idea of a creature of the night illuminated by the moonlight is a vary romantic angle. so people say they are vampires for 1 of these reasons.(or more)

1. they think they are really vampires and have to drink blood to survive and if the go in the sun they will die. (these people are totally insane)

2. they know they are human but what to play pretend and can end up hurting people in the process.(for etc of these people look at the post from Hunter of the Dammed)

3. people who know they are human but like vampires from the artistic point of view. who see the beauty and Gothic romance of the vampire and would like to try it for themselves. (basically enjoying life to the fullest, but more of the darker things)

there are probably more but i can't think of any.

thanks to everyone who took the time to write explaining the differences and meanings behind Goths and vampires. if you have anything to add go ahead.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:59 am
Hollow_Banki
if you are not into or have not heard the music the you are only Gothic, not a goth.

...where did you get this from?

"Gothic" is just as adjective form of the noun "goth".  

GilAskan
Crew

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 am
GilAskan
Hollow_Banki
if you are not into or have not heard the music the you are only Gothic, not a goth.

then do you have a better way to describe someone who lives the goth lifestyle but doesn't listen to the music?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 am
Hollow_Banki
GilAskan
Hollow_Banki

then do you have a better way to describe someone who lives the goth lifestyle but doesn't listen to the music?

poser?  

This Old Oscillator

Hollow_Banki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 pm
This Old Oscillator
Hollow_Banki
GilAskan
Hollow_Banki

poser?

sounds about right, that or misinformed.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:24 pm
GilAskan

I was going to say essentially the same thing. Since you already said it, I may as well elaborate...

Goth is a culture. It's been around for about 30 years. It was the love-child of post-punk, glam, experimental, and classic horror films. Goth-rock is a genre of music. It has numerous subgenres and fusion genres, like death-rock, darkwave, and dark cabaret. Goth has numerous associated styles of fashion. Goth has iconography. Celebrities. Aesthetics.

Vampires are fictional beings from eastern Europe. Then they became the monsters of novels and film. Vampires can also be a theme. Vampirism can be a fetish. In some places, there is a subculture of otherkin who consider themselves vampires.

qft.  

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:19 pm
Hollow_Banki
GilAskan
Hollow_Banki

I don't really consider there be such a thing as a "goth lifestyle" at all. Someone who wears the fashion but isn't goth is simply a person who wears the fashion without being a goth. No more or less.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 am
A vampire likes to feast on young maidens
Goths like to feast at larp events >.<

I kid

a Goth is someone who is a fan of Goth Rock, or one of its offspring, which causes the many types of goth out there  

Corpse Paint

5,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Member 100

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 am
Naztakuan
Sinister Kung Fu
Hollow_Banki
ok good point.

I think you have a really good point. Music isn't just soundwaves. It's part of (or creator of) a larger culture, and it includes all of that, not just the actual music. I don't think you have to like, or be able to tell if you like the music. It's the thoughts that spawned the music that matters; The people behind the music, and what inspired them to create it.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff