Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
I think you'll find this highly interesting. . . Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:28 pm
Eventually the school may just switch to uniforms, which would be fairer then just banning goth clothes.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:36 pm
Neon~Starshine
That's what you get when you let Christians be on the school board.

Thats more then a little intolerant, its only the fundamentalists that are like that. I know plenty of devout Christians, that know the way I dress is not respective of my personality. I find your generalization about Christians offensive.  

Rellik San
Crew

NightChild223

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 am
sigh...dosen't the admin ever think?
this kind of thing has happened before with everything from books to clothing. they tried it once with a huckleberry Finn and as soon as they did more people started reading it, even if only to find out why it was banned. this is only going to cause more people to dress goth and promote death simply because authority tells them not to.

this happened at my school...they banned trench coats and 3/4 of he students signed petitions and got together and the admin had to allow them again.

another note.... i don't mean to sound rude but isn't that a kind of discrimination? as long as the students aren't harming anyone or provoking fights with their choice of clothing they should be able to dress goth if they want.

and to everyone who is going to dress goth on Tuesday...YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!
i will and do support you.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:05 am
XWraith_LordX
Eventually the school may just switch to uniforms, which would be fairer then just banning goth clothes.

i have to agree with you....even though i am reluctant. uniforms would eliminate all of this but also eliminate the student ablility to express them selves though the clothes they wear.  

NightChild223

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:27 am
NightChild223
XWraith_LordX

i have to agree with you....even though i am reluctant. uniforms would eliminate all of this but also eliminate the student ablility to express them selves though the clothes they wear.

If clothes are the only way you can think to express your individuality via your appearance, you need to consider things like hair, make up, how you carry yourself, seriously, there are ways of doing it without going to people "hi I'm a goth." and without dressing in a particular way.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:10 pm
Rellik San
NightChild223
XWraith_LordX

If clothes are the only way you can think to express your individuality via your appearance, you need to consider things like hair, make up, how you carry yourself, seriously, there are ways of doing it without going to people "hi I'm a goth." and without dressing in a particular way.

*hopes you weren't speaking to me in addition to NightChild*

NightChild, I think you misunderstood the point.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:55 pm
That's bullshit. They shouldn't be able to do that. I'd join your protest,if I could. I'm way north of you,though.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:07 pm
That ******** sucks. Start protesting. You have every right to.

I'm so glad I live in Jersey. That could never happen here.  

Byrn_in_hel

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm
Byrn_in_hel
That ******** sucks. Start protesting. You have every right to.

I'm so glad I live in Jersey. That could never happen here.

Hmm....maybe it could and maybe it couldn't.....

Just do what Rellik suggested. It sounds like it has a 85% chance of success.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:10 pm
Its a pretty sucky situation ye have there. A petition would really be a good way to go. Not directly opposing it like you would by wearing gothic stuff. But yeah schools tend to not realise every minority group needs to be shown some respect. I mean like in the US I am assuming the preps wear what they want, their female counterparts the same as well as all the other groups there might be. I think it's because the goth 'style' is just that bit too... erm.... different. I use that very loosely. Like its probably the most eye catching style and perhaps in some cases a little bit intimidating but thats no excuse to ban it altogether.

Here in Ireland pretty much 99% of schools require you to wear a uniform. We cant wear hoodies in school over em (which doesnt apply to me) and we are not allowed to smoke/drink/take drugs whilst wearing this uniform (once again applies not to me ^^) They had a ban a few years ago on long hair and beards however (this applies to me indefinitely!) but the students organised a petition and went through the process formally. Technically beards are still banned but like no one notices that haha and your supposed to tie back your hair if its past shoulder but my school is laid back, oh and it's an all lads school just to clarify.  

Nockz the Dark Cellist

Kyru Sadaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:25 pm
if goth clothing is banned, so should crap a** gangster clothing, jock clothing, and all that other s**t that everyone else wears that is against school regulation, not just "omg i hate goths, they cant wear theyre style of clothing thats not right" bullshit, thats just stereotype bullshit  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:29 pm
Oct 29
The All Goth Blackout Day...
wear all the black that you can......every goth in america,
if anyone notices, it could become something big  

Kyru Sadaki

Happy Cha0s

Dapper Trickster

19,475 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:09 pm
The 69th Unknown
Rellik San
Firstly, you need to get political savvy, point out, if goth clothing is to be banned, then skate clothing is, sports clothing is, any brand name is to banned. Failure to comply to that request or to dissolve the ban, should then result in petitioning of the school, also remember to invoke your amendment rights as often as possible, should that fail the final step would be to sue the Florida school board for socio discrimination against a specific group without any real justification, don't forget to insight that bands like the beach boys and Buddy Holly were once considered satanic and that your music and fashion are just that, nothing more.

Undoubtedly they will try to use columbine as reasoning for this, so at which point, no official study has proven that the columbine incident was a result of goth culture, as no one so called expert can decide whether it was music, film or video games that supposedly inspired the shooting. Also worth pointing out, that the people involved in columbine weren't goths and were members of the trench coat mafia, which isn't affiliated with any alternative culture.

Follow these steps and worst case scenario, trench coats are banned on the grounds they are very easy to conceal weapons in and there for a security risk. You made your school board look so completely out of touch with everything, there will be an in depth investigation into the board, which will result in members being replaced with more 'in touch' representatives of various alt. cultures.

Works every time. wink

Oddly enough, our school doesn't have a problem with trench coats... They say gothic clothing is a "distraction", and that facial peircings are "potentially harmful". If they say anything to me, I'm going to complain about the bright red football jerseys the football team wears all day on game days, and the incredibly short skirts you see the preppy girls walking around in. Plus theres a rule in our student handbook that says and I quote " The student body at (my school) is one of the most diverse student bodies in the county. The administration and faculty value the various ethnic/cultural backgrounds as well as the variety of social-economic levels represented by our students. Disrespect toward any student or staff member due to ethnic/cultural differences or negative stereotypes will not be tolerated and will result in disciplinary consequences, including out-of-scool suspension."

my old high school banned all the same things in fact because i still found a way to dress in my gothic attire i was put on a watch list and put in the "danger" file so i had to leave the school and am curently trying to get into a internet hgh school to finish my schooling if only i had been there when all this bull s**t banning happened i could have prevented all this by doing exactally what he said about rights and discrimination  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:51 pm
Well.... this issue seems to be disturbing you guys. In Egypt (where I live) Gothic clothes are particularly banned from colleges, while nothing else is.
You could still dress in black but nothing promoting being a Goth and it has been like this since a Satanism problem has appeared in Egypt about 10 years ago. As for the schools, all of them have uniforms so the problem didn't appear in them.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

XxLovely_MiseriesxX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:46 pm
I have to wear uniforms in my high school. Its more like a private school actually. The dress code is so strict that we really have no self expression. But anyway it really is sad that all these schools are banning gothic type clothing and nothing else. Stupid stereotypes. xp  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff