Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Green Granny Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 pm
I must say these are all fantastic models, I'm envious of the painting skills. Being a beginner I'm not too good. I do use black spray for the base paint, but it's my painting in general I'm crap with, I like designing the color bases but other than that..eh. Any advice would be great for someone who's just started. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm
Ok well i have been politly shoved to pick my army for Warhammer 40k and well bribed to be Imperial Guard. My best friend just bought me a Forge world Reaver Titan!!!! eek blaugh eek so i was wondering a few things:

1) Can the Titan be used with IG first and foremost
2) what is a good regimental paint scheme for a titan
3) what are some good regiments in the IG
4) what colors should i use

*(note: i have only painted one figure in my life, and according to the people at the convention where i painted it; they said i have a natural talent for painting minis. i have no clue what hes from but i will post pics of him as soon as i get my camera from the pawn shop.)*

confused i hope i posted this in the right area i am confused cause it pertains to so many things.  

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Andre_kelfar11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm
na 50/50 you asked what colours to use.
the picture on forge world is for a blue army scheme .
i normaly if its the first model of that type iv painted i keep it simple and do my army colours as a base then when thats done.
I'll think about what extras i want , patterns, add a few more Space Marine Purity Seals to make it look a tid better such a big model to only have one or two as a start is realy boring.

out of most of the titans iv seen most of the painters have ether done theres realy basic or have added yellow and black cheqers on ether the sholder armour or knee cap.

over all Keep it Metalic smile tips of guns brassen brass or shining gold even though it will look Crap at the start, Add a foundation black wash and it will look awsome after that its just choosing your highlights very carfuly.

so e.g adding a shine to the tip of guns using shining gold over the pieces you painted shining gold (after the Black wash has Dried It'll totaly Wreak the model if you don't let it dry).

a good tip for foundation washs is to add a chunk of wash in gaps like inbetween guns or cough the Cracks in a models backside .
do that with out Brushing it just Dab it the once that way there won't be any gaps in the wash.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm
cool thanks for the info but i have run into a snag. it didn't come with any hardpoint weapons! and they are mega expensive for me right now, so im just gonna have to wait to buy them when i can, now as im a complete painting noob and have only painted one mini can some one explain (as simply as you can so i understand) what are the differences in paint, drybrushing(what it is), and what types of paint to use on resin models and what type for plastic models.

*Edit*
Finally i found a camera deceint enough to take pics of my mystery mini, like i said above this is the first and only mini i have painted and i think i did an ok job on him. all i know is that I was told he is an Anti-Paladin at Megacon. so if you can give me some critique and some pointers id really appreicate it! Also someone tell me what hes from its bugging the heck out of me!!!!!! scream

*Edit 2* Oh GAWD! it looks so much better in person! sorry about his condition: dings it the helmet paint and cloak, i had to move out of my apartment back in with my family so he was a "bit" mistreated :/ im a little torked he got so mangled im gonna have to fix him soon as i buy paints (sentimental value= first mini I've ever painted!)

User Image

User Image

User Image  

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Andre_kelfar11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 am
that would be a Vampire count model i think a old one too not sure which edtion is that feathers on his shoulder? D&d?? only thing that comes to mind is counts or maybe a old empire hero.
Type of Painting styles:

Drybrushing=
using Very Little paint on the Brush, brush off the paint on to a bit of paper or use Card board thats tons better.

This will make it so the paint isn't realy that Liquidy anymore and makes the paint quite Dry the more you Wipe it off on the card board the dryer the paint gets.
this is used mostly for adding shades. e.g like making a pure black armour a bit brighter using bleach bone or fort Gray.
( Colour example Metal weapon Bolt gun Painted THEN Dry brush on a chain mail perfect for basic Sword painting)

Another good example is using it on faces Paint on as normal a Tanned Flesh.
then use the Dry brushing above to add different Skin colours like Elf Flesh ect.
putting this on the fore head , cheeks and possiable around the Jaw these are the perfect places for Face Highlights.
(just make sure if you feel Confident enough paint the Eye balls before you add Skin colours)

Then there Just normal painting.

Colours/Washs/foundations

Colours
= this all depends on the model realy i would say smaller the section of the the model your working on use less paint or it will just get clogged up Filling in all the gabs that make up the models Detailed legs ect ect .
to make things brighter use whilte as a base coat for a brighter model
use black for a darker one.
if you just want on bit of it brighter use Fortress Gray as a base coat on that part of the model. Then paint over it with chosen colour.

Washs= Washs Are now Mostly no in Prodution not being made i think theres only a few that are left.
Washs are Tons Thicker than Foundation washs there good to use on Bigger models like Titans or models that are Big with a lot of Detail on Skins and gabs. But since Foundation Washs are more common you can just Ignore Washs all together.

Foundation Washs And Paints= Made by the Same company Games-workshop these Replaced the old Washs and Released quite a lot of new paints in Advanced Colours like Mechrite Red (this is sort of a Orc red or half dried blood look)
the Use of Foundation Paints can be Extreamly Difficult to use.(its taken me quite a while to get use to them and iv been painting for quite a few year anyone else would say the same thing realy)

The Foundation Washs
Foundation washs are more Runny than the old paints but there less thick meaning the can get into gaps the old wash can't and also it doesn't leave as much mess on pre-painted parts you have already painted so A example..

Lets say you got a Model and its Painted Gore Red as a base coat.
(lol beastmen ect)
after you have painted all the basic colours on the model like the skin weapons, Feet/hoofs, hands ect
then you can add the foundation wash if you want your model dark use Badab black,Devlan mud,Gryphonne Sepia(its a lighter colour than Devlan mub.
These are used by many painters to add shading to a model without all the effort of hours of Dry brushing and highlights making the model stand out more.
Foundation Paints only Darken a model never Brighter because there too consistant and theres no foundation washs that are bright realy.
Foundation Paints All together Are Realy easy to use And for Advanced Painters make things Stand out Even more way beyond what the old Washs could do So THERE AWSOME

I hope it Helps but in the End its a Good knowledge of the paints your using and practice. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:03 am
thank you very much for the info! i've been reading as much as i can about the subjects but the terms were completely alien to me, now i have an understanding of them.  

Necron_Pariah

1,100 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Inenor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:17 am
DarkElf27
Inenor, you need to get your a** into one of our painting competitions, those are really good. xd Same with you, Andre.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, whens the next painting comp?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 pm
Green Granny Smith
I must say these are all fantastic models, I'm envious of the painting skills. Being a beginner I'm not too good. I do use black spray for the base paint, but it's my painting in general I'm crap with, I like designing the color bases but other than that..eh. Any advice would be great for someone who's just started. smile

it took me a year and a half to perfect my painting methods. you'll get it soon, i mean i still can't stipple correctly or use the blending technique. i stick to line highlighting, dry brushing, and wet brushing.  

Inenor

Andre_kelfar11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm
blending is the Hadest Thing to learn and comes most in handy when your dealing with large patches of flesh , eg like horses, stegodons or id think the worse is painting cammo mixing with other cammo on imperial guard tanks.
most painters don't bother painting it on and just use White Tac and spay paint.
its the easiest and quickest but it can look tacky if its not painted up enough.

Personaly i can't realy blend that well atm i can only do shades of yellow,blue and little bit of flesh.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:54 pm
eventually i'm going to take my local store's "veteran academy" so i can begin to learn those finer points of painting and modeling at an advanced level.  

Inenor

Andre_kelfar11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:24 pm
its getting there quite a huge project to do realy. its just time consuming.
Atm working on my 8 eldar tanks for a apocalypse battle force.
sorry about the size of the pics i can't be bothered with all the tinkering since its only a pic to give you the idea of the army colour scheme.

User Image

User Image
User Image

i won't be posting regularly only when iv ether finished a tank but atm im working on my Nightspinner so that'll be the first thing you'll see.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm
I hoping some one could give me some primer tips. Do I need primer or any special paint to base coat it. I tried a primer from my local hobby shop, but it gave my Tau a funny texture. Could I just brush on a undercoat of chaos black? On a side note could some one tell me if the two cylinders on the side of the fire warriors are grenades or just part of the armor. I need to know so I don't represent Grenades they don't have.  

Scarlett4015

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 pm
Daniel963
I hoping some one could give me some primer tips. Do I need primer or any special paint to base coat it. I tried a primer from my local hobby shop, but it gave my Tau a funny texture. Could I just brush on a undercoat of chaos black? On a side note could some one tell me if the two cylinders on the side of the fire warriors are grenades or just part of the armor. I need to know so I don't represent Grenades they don't have.
If it gave them a funny texture, you might have been spraying too much on; try to keep about a foot away from the model and do it in short bursts.

Inenor, we'll try and put up a big one for the guild anniversary in September. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 pm
also remember to shake the primer for a good minute or two and don't spray when it is humid or after it rains if you prime outside.  

Inenor

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games