Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 am
maenad nuri
Recursive Paradox
maenad nuri

I broke out the OED
It started in about 1540's to be used as "mentally slow" but long before that, it means to "to be stunned senseless, confounded", and only in the 20th century that it really turns more into an insult regarding intelligence.

Hmm. Seems sorta iffy. Do you think the mentally slow definition could segue into attacks on folks with learning disabilities and non nuerotypical folk?

I don't know enough about the 1540's to even begin.

I think this may be one of those word that context actually really does matter.

I guess that's where we sit for now. At least until anyone can find any more info. I'm gonna roll with the context matters for the word stupid as an insult until then  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:02 pm
At the risk of sounding sorta weird and stupid, then again, this is the thread for it, 3nodding are there "Celtic bands", as in music? I mean, I was reading this series that is fiction but includes "Wicca" that is actually witchcraft...sorta. Anyways, they mention these "Celtic bands" such as Enya, which I already listen to. I was wondering mainly bacause I know that some of the songs are in an odd sort of language. Comments? Answers?  

Opalescent_violet_14

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 pm
a n n i v i
are there "Celtic bands", as in music?
Cu's favorite is Therapy?.
Quote:

I mean, I was reading this series that is fiction but includes "Wicca" that is actually witchcraft...sorta. Anyways, they mention these "Celtic bands" such as Enya, which I already listen to. I was wondering mainly bacause I know that some of the songs are in an odd sort of language. Comments? Answers?
Ask Cu about his opinions of Enya. wink It's interesting.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 pm
TeaDidikai

Enya's music is about as Celtic as the Flogging Mollys.
That is to say, it's not.
At all.
It's new age hippy s**t.
Therapy? are teh awesome.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:23 pm
CuAnnan
TeaDidikai

At all.
It's new age hippy s**t.

The hippies do not claim Enya. That's new age suburbanite s**t.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 pm
demisara
CuAnnan
TeaDidikai

At all.
It's new age hippy s**t.

The hippies do not claim Enya. That's new age suburbanite s**t.

You are right. She's not hippy.
But we all agree she's s**t.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 pm
here's a stupid question: what's wrong with Enya? i mean, personally i'm not a big fan, or even a small fan, i'm kind of indifferent.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:57 pm
whiporwill-o
here's a stupid question: what's wrong with Enya? i mean, personally i'm not a big fan, or even a small fan, i'm kind of indifferent.

Her music, when it's not downright off the wall (see the stuff that's written in an "Alien language" she made up), is derivative and about as thought provoking as navel lint.
True, not all music is meant to be anything more than fizz, however, she claims the title Gael, so it really should be.
My music is not particularly good. It's not particularly talented or technically precise, but it's at least emotional. Hers is canned and formulaic.
She's talented, extremely. And that she squanders it to pander to demographs and statistics just ******** pulls the piss.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:15 pm
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o

Her music, when it's not downright off the wall (see the stuff that's written in an "Alien language" she made up), is derivative and about as thought provoking as navel lint.
True, not all music is meant to be anything more than fizz, however, she claims the title Gael, so it really should be.
My music is not particularly good. It's not particularly talented or technically precise, but it's at least emotional. Hers is canned and formulaic.
She's talented, extremely. And that she squanders it to pander to demographs and statistics just ******** pulls the piss.

oh. i honestly had no idea that her music supposed to be thought provoking, for me it has too much noise (read sound) in it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 pm
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o

I personally dislike it because I find find it fluffy and formulaic and overly corporate. It's the sort of thing that gives new age hippies a bad name. I don't agree with your dismissal of made-up languages, though, Cu. Sigur ros did some very nice work in the medium. See Untitled 8 and the whole () album.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:22 pm
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o

oh. i honestly had no idea that her music supposed to be thought provoking, for me it has too much noise (read sound) in it. sweatdrop

I was under the impression that she thought herself quite profound.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 pm
demisara
whiporwill-o
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o

I was under the impression that she thought herself quite profound.

i only have 2 songs by her on pure moods cds that i bought AGES ago (like when i was 13, so yeah, 10 years ago) and i don't even remember what the names of the songs are, lol. from what i remember of them, she says one phrase or whatever and just repeats it, not a whole lot to make a profound arguement from, imo.  

whiporwill-o

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am
demisara
I don't agree with your dismissal of made-up languages, though, Cu.

There's a difference between calling something "off the wall", which it is, and calling it bad.
See: The Beatles, Pink Flloyd, etc
I was calling it both crap and sometimes off the wall.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:58 am
CuAnnan
whiporwill-o

Why does claiming the title 'Gael' mean the music ought to be more than fizz?

(I've never heard the word 'fizz' in relation to music. xD)  

Aino Ailill

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:27 am
Aino Ailill
Why does claiming the title 'Gael' mean the music ought to be more than fizz?

(I've never heard the word 'fizz' in relation to music. xD)

Because music is sacred to us.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games