Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:14 am
Using magic for combat related things seems like using rocket propelled grenades in a fisticuff sparing match.

A bit excessive.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 am
Recursive Paradox
Using magic for combat related things seems like using rocket propelled grenades in a fisticuff sparing match.

A bit excessive.

I'd agree, with the quick amendment that sometimes it's just practical to bring along a few flares to a fist-fight just in case someone thinks it a good idea to bring along some heat seeking missiles. ninja  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 pm
Cyrus the Elder
Recursive Paradox

A bit excessive.

I'd agree, with the quick amendment that sometimes it's just practical to bring along a few flares to a fist-fight just in case someone thinks it a good idea to bring along some heat seeking missiles. ninja

The committee accepts your amendment, good sir and is ready to send it to Parliament for adoption into the statement.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:16 pm
Recursive Paradox
Cyrus the Elder
Recursive Paradox

A bit excessive.

The committee accepts your amendment, good sir and is ready to send it to Parliament for adoption into the statement.

But that'll take forever!  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:42 am
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
Cyrus the Elder
Recursive Paradox

A bit excessive.

Your complaint has been lodged and will go to the complaint acceptance committee in four business days. Thank you for your aid, citizen.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:55 am
Recursive Paradox
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
Cyrus the Elder
Recursive Paradox

A bit excessive.

Your complaint has been lodged and will go to the complaint acceptance committee in four business days. Thank you for your aid, citizen.

Has that request for permission to go against the establishment come through yet? I filed it back when I was 14.

Because my acceptance for the request to acquire the honorary title "princess" came in the mail last week and I'm hoping it won't take that long.  

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:50 am
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
AniMajor
Recursive Paradox
Cyrus the Elder

Has that request for permission to go against the establishment come through yet? I filed it back when I was 14.

It's currently in the amendment committee, being edited for content.

Quote:
Because my acceptance for the request to acquire the honorary title "princess" came in the mail last week and I'm hoping it won't take that long.

There's only four hundred and fifty more committees to go through before Parliament gets ahold of it. So I wouldn't worry.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:51 am
Is stupid ableist terminology?  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:44 am
Recursive Paradox
I know I personally dislike the term myself, but I can't, through my understanding of the definition, say with certainty that it is ableist, since the denotation includes several characteristics and addresses actions made by people across the ability spectrum.

I had a long conversation with a friend about this once. Her brother had some kind of genetic disorder that presented as several different LDs. He was able to make rational decisions, and at times he opted to do things against his own reasoning and best interests. That's one of the denotative meanings of the word. Since he was not stupid by virtue of having his LDs, and only occasionally acted in ways that could be defined as stupid, it would seem that the equal application to individuals without his condition in the same situations would mean it is perhaps a nasty insult, but that the history (to my knowledge) and the meaning do not bear it out as ableism alone.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:48 am
Recursive Paradox

I don't particularly think so (like Tea, it seems to be applied across the board as an insult) but I also haven't examined the history of it, to see if it has origins sort of like "dumb", which is one of the words which is incredibly hard to remove from my daily vocabulary.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
I know I personally dislike the term myself, but I can't, through my understanding of the definition, say with certainty that it is ableist, since the denotation includes several characteristics and addresses actions made by people across the ability spectrum.

I had a long conversation with a friend about this once. Her brother had some kind of genetic disorder that presented as several different LDs. He was able to make rational decisions, and at times he opted to do things against his own reasoning and best interests. That's one of the denotative meanings of the word. Since he was not stupid by virtue of having his LDs, and only occasionally acted in ways that could be defined as stupid, it would seem that the equal application to individuals without his condition in the same situations would mean it is perhaps a nasty insult, but that the history (to my knowledge) and the meaning do not bear it out as ableism alone.

That's what I figured. Every rock I search under to see if this word has ableist connotations comes up dry. >.<

maenad nuri
Recursive Paradox

I don't particularly think so (like Tea, it seems to be applied across the board as an insult) but I also haven't examined the history of it, to see if it has origins sort of like "dumb", which is one of the words which is incredibly hard to remove from my daily vocabulary.

Someone asserted it was ableist and I've been checking on it, just cuz that's what I do. So far nothing on it has come up that could be construed as ableist.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:07 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

That's what I figured. Every rock I search under to see if this word has ableist connotations comes up dry. >.<

maenad nuri
Recursive Paradox

Someone asserted it was ableist and I've been checking on it, just cuz that's what I do. So far nothing on it has come up that could be construed as ableist.

I broke out the OED
It started in about 1540's to be used as "mentally slow" but long before that, it means to "to be stunned senseless, confounded", and only in the 20th century that it really turns more into an insult regarding intelligence.  

maenad nuri
Captain

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:07 pm
maenad nuri

I broke out the OED
It started in about 1540's to be used as "mentally slow" but long before that, it means to "to be stunned senseless, confounded", and only in the 20th century that it really turns more into an insult regarding intelligence.

also, according to the "slang dictionary" it can mean 'styling' as in a compliment (weird) and it can mean 'very'.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/stupid  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:07 pm
maenad nuri

I broke out the OED

Hmm. Seems sorta iffy. Do you think the mentally slow definition could segue into attacks on folks with learning disabilities and non nuerotypical folk?  

Recursive Paradox

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 pm
Recursive Paradox
maenad nuri

I broke out the OED

Hmm. Seems sorta iffy. Do you think the mentally slow definition could segue into attacks on folks with learning disabilities and non nuerotypical folk?

I don't know enough about the 1540's to even begin.

I think this may be one of those word that context actually really does matter.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games