Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Fiddlers Green
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
The History Channel has problems. The most notable of which is their habit of relying on the lowest common denominator to explain alien concepts.

It's pretty much the core of culture rape.

I'm not allowed to watch History Channel or National Geographic any more. Certain subjects they like to talk about always end up with me correcting the tv and throwing things at it in a rage. stressed

IF we add Mythbusters to that, you've got my trifecta of hatred for junk science on the air. Sometimes the Hitler Channel or pseudo-Naturalist Gentry get it rightish, but just as often, they might as well be reading off Wikipedia.

mythbusters wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't [seemingly] half-a** everything they did. watching their show, even i come up with methods for the to try and i'm not an 'expert' like they are. their 'research' seems so incomplete at the end of every episode and that drives me crazy burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:49 pm
Fiddlers Green

IF we add Mythbusters to that, you've got my trifecta of hatred for junk science on the air. Sometimes the Hitler Channel or pseudo-Naturalist Gentry get it rightish, but just as often, they might as well be reading off Wikipedia.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

whiporwill-o
Tea -if i may call you that-
I respond to it... even offline. ninja
Quote:

i have a stupid question just for you blaugh
Actually a number of people could have answered this one.
Quote:

please do not get offended... Why is the 'g' word a racial slur? i have tried looking it up on google, but found no satisfying answers, mostly people just saying that they don't find it offesive. i know what it implies, but could that not be said for all travelers who steal? or is it specifically targeted at the Roma.
There are a number of reasons it's offensive. First, it's inaccurate. My ancestors didn't come from Egypt.
Second, to ignore what we have chosen to call ourselves in favor of a misnomer is to hold entitlement as a privileged majority over our rights to self-identify as we choose.
It's used in hate speech.
It all really comes down to privilege. Who has it. Who is being denied and why.

Quote:
my dad does not use the 'g' word to refer to anyone, but he does distinguish between an african american and a [n-word], based on the way the person behaves.
Wow... that's pretty racist.

Quote:
on a similar note, i do not understand why certain people think it is ok to call a caucasian person "cracker", its very hypocritical, imo.
That is really hypocritical.  

TeaDidikai

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:30 pm
TeaDidikai
Fiddlers Green

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Cute.
But bullshyt.
By publicly demonstrating faulty science and establishing themselves as arbiters of factuality, they are spreading disinformation. The damage in teaching people to engage in junk science and call it valid experimentation, in my opinion, outweighs the possible benefit of implicitly encouraging people to play with explosives. This is just another example of the media holding up slip-shot work and calling it worthy of attention. By teaching people to hold their beliefs up to faulty or biased experiment, Mythbusters is doing more to ruin people's understanding of actual science and drive them farther into the darkness while telling them it is light than a thousand speeches from oil-company pay-rolled geologists reinforce people's ability to engineer justification for things which are patently false than a thousand lessons in political sciences.
People would be better served watching Good Eats.

I shall assume the implied insult against physicists and other people who actually do research and care about the veracity of their findings was only incidental in your sharing of that comic. Please correct me if I am wrong. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:41 pm
Fiddlers Green

I love that show!  

Aino Ailill

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:44 pm
Aino Ailill
Fiddlers Green

I love that show!

Me too. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:05 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o

please do not get offended... Why is the 'g' word a racial slur? i have tried looking it up on google, but found no satisfying answers, mostly people just saying that they don't find it offesive. i know what it implies, but could that not be said for all travelers who steal? or is it specifically targeted at the Roma.
There are a number of reasons it's offensive. First, it's inaccurate. My ancestors didn't come from Egypt.
Second, to ignore what we have chosen to call ourselves in favor of a misnomer is to hold entitlement as a privileged majority over our rights to self-identify as we choose.
It's used in hate speech.
It all really comes down to privilege. Who has it. Who is being denied and why.

thank you for answering, i assumed that others could answer my question, but to be honest i wanted an answer straight from the horse's mouth (not implying that you are a horse in any way). you said it comes down to privilege as well? how is someone privileged enough to use a derogitory identifier?

TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
my dad does not use the 'g' word to refer to anyone, but he does distinguish between an african american and a [n-word], based on the way the person behaves.
Wow... that's pretty racist.

it is racist, no denying that, but my dad is 50 yrs old and he will never change. his parents are the same way [once i kicked my granny out of my house because of it, i had asked her to stop, but she didn't]. i think that because they are also living in backwoods alabama has alot to do with it, but it doesn't make it right. the fact that african american children can go to the schools there is amazing... yeah, it's that bad and it's one reason why i don't live there anymore.  

whiporwill-o

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Aino Ailill
Fiddlers Green

I love that show!

Ditto. As long as you except for the fact that Alton's Tofu recipe is utter garbage.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:38 pm
Just when you thought you were safe - Violet returns to make an annoyingly brief visit full of idea-amending and what-have-you.

Please don't hate me.

TeaDidikai
Ultramarine Violet
I guess that I completely misunderstood the term, then. whee Thanks.

My haste probably arose from the fact that, well... the idea kind of irritates me. Not the concept, you understand, but the way it thunders around and demands my partial attention for extended periods. I kind of want to either make use of it, or find justification to dismiss it.

The Readers' Digest version of the concept is this: any given instant is the intersection of an infinite number of possible timelines. Infinity x 2, really. An infinite number leading up to the instant, and an infinite number branching off into their respective futures. My ex used to call it the "Tree of Time," when she thought I wasn't listening. I actually kind of like that imagery.

Though, now that I re-read it, it sounds more like fodder for bad sci-fi than anything else.
Reminds me of "Understanding the Ten Dimensions" or some such thing Hubby told me about.

Maybe your UPG has some Common Gnosis to it.
I'll have to see if I can find a source for that or something. I'm guessing Common Gnosis is that phenomenon where several people develop similar ideas or understandings independently(sic?) of one another?

bondage bunnie
The problem with the definitions is there is only a finite amount of possibilities. Time is finite there has only been so much and will only be so much unless it turns inward to form a loop. The number of possibilities may seem limitless, but there are definite limits.

Try to think of an instant more like a tree with little hole in a tiny tunk. The tree's branches and roots both extend equidistant and multiply far beyond your visible range. At no other point other than the hole you are in are the options so small as to where you could be. Where you could have came from and where you could go are all visible to you, but your place is where you are at right now in the center. As you climb up or down the tree when you stop you are always at that same exact position on that tree, because every time you move you restrict the possible number of new possibilities that branch forward and you create a finite number of causes as to the reason you are at your point.
Well... I did tag what I said as the Readers' Digest version for a reason. I did use 'infinite' purposefully, though - because I do not assume that all timelines follow the same natural laws as the one that I perceive, or that the implied 'space' that the timelines occupy follows those laws - in fact, it must not, due to the nature of what resides within it. Assuming it can even be called a 'space'. My brain hurts a little.

Also, I think it equally likely that the timelines that get 'sloughed off' might choose to rejoin somewhere else, in a parallel 'Tree'. It's kind of scattered, because I'm not sure how best to go about researching similar ideas. (Tea's tip stands a good chance of helping, though - thanks.)  

Ultramarine Violet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:19 pm
Fiddlers Green

Cute.
But bullshyt.
By publicly demonstrating faulty science and establishing themselves as arbiters of factuality, they are spreading disinformation. The damage in teaching people to engage in junk science and call it valid experimentation, in my opinion, outweighs the possible benefit of implicitly encouraging people to play with explosives. This is just another example of the media holding up slip-shot work and calling it worthy of attention. By teaching people to hold their beliefs up to faulty or biased experiment, Mythbusters is doing more to ruin people's understanding of actual science and drive them farther into the darkness while telling them it is light than a thousand speeches from oil-company pay-rolled geologists reinforce people's ability to engineer justification for things which are patently false than a thousand lessons in political sciences.
Do they get any props for redoing experiments that fans write them about?
Quote:

This we can agree on. 3nodding

Quote:
I shall assume the implied insult against physicists and other people who actually do research and care about the veracity of their findings was only incidental in your sharing of that comic. Please correct me if I am wrong. wink
Completely incidental.

What can I say. I want a home filled with playpen balls.

UVi>>
Overly simplistic visual condensed version of a book Hubby likes  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:14 pm
How does one move from UPG to CPG?  

Bastemhet

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm
Kuroiban
Aino Ailill
Fiddlers Green

I love that show!

Ditto. As long as you except for the fact that Alton's Tofu recipe is utter garbage.

His souffle recipe has never let me down. I've made maybe 20 quantum-emulsion masterpieces with his help (I have laying hens, and need to use up eggs frequently), and not a one of them has fallen prematurely. Gas oven, too.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Do they get any props for redoing experiments that fans write them about?

Yes, and those are rating points. I will never say they aren't entertaining. Catering to their audience is good business with a show like theirs. So yes, I recognize their talent as showspersons. wink  

Fiddlers Green

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:16 am
Sophist
Checking already experienced gnosis with the gnosis you've experienced. This can be through sharing with fellow practitioners or by checking accepted canon.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:53 am
Gho the Girl
Sophist
Checking already experienced gnosis with the gnosis you've experienced. This can be through sharing with fellow practitioners or by checking accepted canon.

Already experienced by me or other people? Or both?  

Bastemhet

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:04 pm
Sophist
Gho the Girl
Sophist

Already experienced by me or other people? Or both?
Compare your experience to those with confirmed experiences, both current people and through accepted canon.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games