Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The Great British Tea Debate! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you regularly drink tea?
Yes, yes I do.
75%
 75%  [ 43 ]
No, no I do not.
24%
 24%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 57

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Shadow of an Illusion
Earl Grey is one of those teas you aren't supposed to have milk with. (I still do but I like my tea milky)

Really? I thought milk could, by tradition, be used with any strong black tea. How does one determine if the tea is or is not meant to be taken with milk? For my stronger cups I still plan on using milk, but it would be nice to know.

Have you ever tried pekoe with a drop of actual bergamot oil? A friend who is a certified massage therapist brought over all her oils one day and was showing them to me while I made tea. Though they are meant for scenting lotions, she put a drop of the oil in my ordinary pekoe. Instant pseudo Earl Grey. Very interesting, though we discovered one does not want to accidentally taste pure bergamot oil from the rim of one's tea cup. I think her taste buds went numb for a while!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:25 am
No milk for Earl Grey, but you can still choose to. People will either simply not notice or, if they do, just think you're slightly eccentric or gauche.  

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:29 pm
Invictus_88
No milk for Earl Grey, but you can still choose to. People will either simply not notice or, if they do, just think you're slightly eccentric or gauche.

or common.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 pm
Sir_Catherine
Shadow of an Illusion
Earl Grey is one of those teas you aren't supposed to have milk with. (I still do but I like my tea milky)

Really? I thought milk could, by tradition, be used with any strong black tea. How does one determine if the tea is or is not meant to be taken with milk? For my stronger cups I still plan on using milk, but it would be nice to know.

I put milk in mine anyway (if it has to be Earl Grey), but don't give people milk if they order it.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:07 pm
I have just returned from a trip to Swansea to see POTC3, really rather fun.

Best of all, Whittard's had a sale. So I returned with Lapsang Souchong, Russian Caravan, some more Assam and something called their "1886 Blend". All for mere pennies.

I've never bought from Whittard before though, and haven't yet had time to try any teas. Do Whittard teas come particularly highly recommended?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:00 pm
I like Davy Jones's Locker in that. ^^

Some of Whittard's instant teas are quite nice. I like the Turkish apple one, and the green teas (I find pure green tea too bitter). And they have nice teapots. ^^ I bought one for my sister in the sale because she's moving.

I take Earl Grey with milk. It's my favourite drink. And they serve milk with it in most places. In a little jug. In the posh places they give you lemon too. So you can choose. Shame I don't visit them a lot. I've yet to try it with lemon.

Ithaya

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:06 am
You can put any tea with lemon. The lemon binds with something and changes the taste of the tea. Still, I prefer my tea with milk.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:44 pm
I'm in need of tea..Our teachers have confiscated our tea and coffee because the day girls refuse to clean up after themselves just because they have to get the bus or their parents are waiting for them. crying Why us boarders must suffer the consequences, I don't know. It's ruddy annoying though and I'll be on the warpath soon if I don't get some caffeine down my throat. scream

But I would love some mint tea or some chai.  

Creatio ex Nihilo

shigatsuhana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:34 am
Most people that I know who drink Earl Grey will have milk in it. I used to like Earl Grey until one place where I worked, we drank several cups a day, and grew to hate it. Give me PG tips for everyday tea any time! However, my tea of choice is Green tea, preferably Genmaicha.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:41 pm
Invictus_88
Sir_Catherine
Invictus_88
I've not had it since I was last on the Continent, in my experience it's not seen here much. It's nice though, refreshing, but not really 'tea'.

I'm more impressed with the officer in Iraq who brewed two litres of English Breakfast Tea with milk and sugar, and froze it in a camelback to provide tea for a fully day in the baking hot sun.

I'm determined to try it myself.

The ice tea I drink is straight black tea chilled, so I don't see how it would be any less 'tea' than your officer's. Just mass produced.

Not surprised it isn't seen much cross the pond from here though.

They always taste of fruit, it seems.

Say, Invictus, you never responded to my question of what iced tea brand you were drinking that it would taste of fruit.

In the States many places will offer raspberry iced tea and one can find it in bottles as well. You seemed surprised at the fruit taste though, so I'm guessing what you had was supposed to be plain, non-flavored, iced tea?

Very strange if so; I can tell you Lipton unsweetened bottled iced tea taste strong, good and not at all fruity.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:00 pm
The only iced tea I've ever had tasted of fruit.

Was apparently supposed to, however.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:11 am
Sir_Catherine
Invictus_88
Sir_Catherine
Invictus_88
I've not had it since I was last on the Continent, in my experience it's not seen here much. It's nice though, refreshing, but not really 'tea'.

I'm more impressed with the officer in Iraq who brewed two litres of English Breakfast Tea with milk and sugar, and froze it in a camelback to provide tea for a fully day in the baking hot sun.

I'm determined to try it myself.

The ice tea I drink is straight black tea chilled, so I don't see how it would be any less 'tea' than your officer's. Just mass produced.

Not surprised it isn't seen much cross the pond from here though.

They always taste of fruit, it seems.

Say, Invictus, you never responded to my question of what iced tea brand you were drinking that it would taste of fruit.

In the States many places will offer raspberry iced tea and one can find it in bottles as well. You seemed surprised at the fruit taste though, so I'm guessing what you had was supposed to be plain, non-flavored, iced tea?

Very strange if so; I can tell you Lipton unsweetened bottled iced tea taste strong, good and not at all fruity.

It was in France a good few years ago, yellow label. Lipton, I believe. In a biggish cheapish plastic bottle, ribbed for some reason. Presumably for extra pleasure, or something.

I had no idea what it was supposed to be. To my mind, tea is tea. That is to say; black tea of an English style, in a cup, probably with a spot of milk. So, something iced was a bit beyond my comprehension. It was a bit surprised when the tea taste was primarily on the aftertaste though, with the main impact being a sort of tea-and-peaches affair.

But bearing in mind I can drink hot tea when it's pushing forty degrees centigrade, I'm not sure I'll ever have much use of iced tea.

Invictus_88
Captain

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:15 am
Invictus_88
bearing in mind I can drink hot tea when it's pushing forty degrees centigrade

I'll keep that in mind. smile

Especially considering the "biggish cheapish plastic bottle, ribbed...tea-and-peaches" description, I'm going to conclude that you had the misfortune of quaffing peach flavored iced tea.

Not the iced tea I choose to drink. I once said if you came to the states I would serve you a decent cup of tea to make up for all the crap you'll find otherwise. I now add a decent bottle of unsweetened, no fruit flavors, iced tea to that offer.

Bottled iced tea really is the way to go when one is driving down the freeway and shouldn't be handling a hot liquid.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:43 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jTXdiBwas

I'm amazed I've not seen this before now, but...hell yes.

I'm quite happily amused!

Invictus_88
Captain

Warnersister

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:05 pm
So, will we British start dunking Oreos in our tea?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7376123.stm

Oreos are good for munching on their own, but not for tea, I believe.

DW  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces