Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:45 am
bondage bunnie
The problem with the definitions is there is only a finite amount of possibilities.

Proof plx.
The current models for the universe provide for an unbound infinite universe. It all depends on some abstract property of the universe at t=0.

bondage bunnie
Time is finite there has only been so much and will only be so much unless it turns inward to form a loop. The number of possibilities may seem limitless, but there are definite limits.

This is also a fallacy.
The many world interpretation of quantum mechanics allows for an infinite diversity even in a bound universe. Whether the probability waves collapse, rendering unmade the universes that could have been they still existed as potential.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am
Ultramarine Violet
My ex used to call it the "Tree of Time," when she thought I wasn't listening. I actually kind of like that imagery.

That's very interesting.
That is, likewise, how I refer to it.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:50 am
Recursive Paradox
We don't know that at all.

Yes, we do.
The gravity up until after the point of the big bang would have, filling in the Lorentz Scalar, gives us infinite dilation on the time and length front.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 am
CuAnnan
Ultramarine Violet
My ex used to call it the "Tree of Time," when she thought I wasn't listening. I actually kind of like that imagery.

That's very interesting.

Is this cultural or personal?  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:51 am
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan
Ultramarine Violet

That's very interesting.

Is this cultural or personal?

Culturally inspired personal take.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 am
CuAnnan

Any more detail available?  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:14 am
TeaDidikai
CuAnnan

Any more detail available?

Sure, remind me some day I'm not bunged up with a cold.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 am
Ultramarine Violet
I guess that I completely misunderstood the term, then. whee Thanks.

My haste probably arose from the fact that, well... the idea kind of irritates me. Not the concept, you understand, but the way it thunders around and demands my partial attention for extended periods. I kind of want to either make use of it, or find justification to dismiss it.

The Readers' Digest version of the concept is this: any given instant is the intersection of an infinite number of possible timelines. Infinity x 2, really. An infinite number leading up to the instant, and an infinite number branching off into their respective futures. My ex used to call it the "Tree of Time," when she thought I wasn't listening. I actually kind of like that imagery.

Though, now that I re-read it, it sounds more like fodder for bad sci-fi than anything else.

Can I ask what, in this case, separates UPG from a Cool Idea? I'm used to associating some sort of divinity with Gnosis...am I off track?

I've heard this model of time referred to as the fractal model. I like it a lot (mostly because I think fractals are the s**t), but I've always been strongly drawn toward cyclical models, and lately holographic ones.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:34 pm
demisara

Can I ask what, in this case, separates UPG from a Cool Idea? I'm used to associating some sort of divinity with Gnosis...am I off track?
Slightly. Gnosis specifies a Spiritual Truth. Atheists can have Gnosis that derives from something other than a deity.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:37 pm
TeaDidikai
demisara

Slightly. Gnosis specifies a Spiritual Truth. Atheists can have Gnosis that derives from something other than a deity.

The divine need not incorporate a deity (in my book). Why is the nature of time a spiritual truth?  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 pm
demisara

The divine need not incorporate a deity (in my book).
Fair enough. Either way- you can come up with a concept that is not divine, but is still Gnosis.

Quote:
Why is the nature of time a spiritual truth?
You'd have to ask them.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:36 pm
TeaDidikai
demisara

The divine need not incorporate a deity (in my book).
Fair enough. Either way- you can come up with a concept that is not divine, but is still Gnosis.

Quote:
Why is the nature of time a spiritual truth?
You'd have to ask them.

So what's the difference between UPG and an epiphany?  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:24 pm
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox

Yes, we do.
The gravity up until after the point of the big bang would have, filling in the Lorentz Scalar, gives us infinite dilation on the time and length front.

Oh. Well crap. Could I have a source to add to my physics bookmarks for that?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:53 pm
Recursive Paradox
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox

Yes, we do.

Here ya go  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:47 pm
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox
CuAnnan
Recursive Paradox

Yes, we do.

Here ya go

Thanks!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games