Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The Great British Tea Debate! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you regularly drink tea?
Yes, yes I do.
75%
 75%  [ 43 ]
No, no I do not.
24%
 24%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 57

shigatsuhana

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:33 am
Sir_Catherine

Ever had the Japanese Matcha tea made from powdered tea leaves that they call "froth of liquid Jade" Shigatsuhana? I recently was given some by a gentleman who lives in Japan most of the year. It is amazing! The only green tea I like; it actually surpasses most base black teas.

I love matcha! heart But I usually only drink that in tea ceremony along with wagashi. Wagashi are the little sweets served during the ceremony. Of course there are all types of wagashi. There is a fantastic shop in Picadilly called Minamoto Kitchoan. They are a Japanese company with shops all over the world that sell wagashi. Yummy!

I do have some matcha for cooking purposes. When I'm off my diet I may try to make some scones or muffins with matcha in them.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:10 am
shigatsuhana
Sir_Catherine

Ever had the Japanese Matcha tea made from powdered tea leaves that they call "froth of liquid Jade" Shigatsuhana? I recently was given some by a gentleman who lives in Japan most of the year. It is amazing! The only green tea I like; it actually surpasses most base black teas.

I love matcha! heart But I usually only drink that in tea ceremony along with wagashi. Wagashi are the little sweets served during the ceremony. Of course there are all types of wagashi. There is a fantastic shop in Picadilly called Minamoto Kitchoan. They are a Japanese company with shops all over the world that sell wagashi. Yummy!

I do have some matcha for cooking purposes. When I'm off my diet I may try to make some scones or muffins with matcha in them.

I've a story behind how I came to have the matcha I do.

A few weeks ago, along with several friends, I attended an anime convention. I don't know how prevalent such things are in England, but in the U.S. such conventions are essentially a large group of people who love anime, manga, video games, board games, role playing games and Japanese culture. Or at least everyone there likes some of the above. Myself, I pass on the video games for the most part.

Anyway, at this convention there was a gentleman who has been living in Japan for some time. While teaching there, he is also attending a school in how to conduct a tea ceremony. He held two such ceremonies, invitation only, at the convention. I originally did not have an invitation. To receive one, one must be active at the con's online forum throughout the year and I was not. Not knowing he was the master of the ceremonies, but only that he knew something of them, I asked him a few questions. Noting my interest, and knowing an invited person had canceled, he extended a special invitation to me.

Thus I was able to attend a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. Quite amazingly, after the ceremony when I asked him if it would be possible to obtain the powdered matcha in the U.S., he gave me a small container of it along with a small box of wagashi. eek His only strictures were that I share both tea and wagashi with friends and that I bring the bamboo whisk back to him at next year's con. Apparently the whisk should be burned in a temple in Japan after use in a ceremony.

Doing my best to honor what I know of conducting such ceremonies, I have indeed been sharing the tea with friends. It is amazing how far a little of the powder will go. I've a few recipes that call for matcha, from a very large general book of Tea, so I might use the last of the powder in trying one out. Sadly, I do not think it possible, certainly not easy, to obtain more of the tea here in the U.S.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm
How do Britons feel about iced tea?

Myself, I enjoy it in bottles on long car trips. Unsweetened black tea, and no lemon or other flavoring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 am
I've not had it since I was last on the Continent, in my experience it's not seen here much. It's nice though, refreshing, but not really 'tea'.

I'm more impressed with the officer in Iraq who brewed two litres of English Breakfast Tea with milk and sugar, and froze it in a camelback to provide tea for a fully day in the baking hot sun.

I'm determined to try it myself.

Invictus_88
Captain

Creatio ex Nihilo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:00 am
I've become amore coffee loving person. Mint tea is still my favourite with Chai tea coming soon after it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:03 am
I like my coffee like I like my women.
Ground up and stored in the freezer.  

Rev.Matt

Creatio ex Nihilo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 am
Rev.Matt

Um..does that mean it's a favourite ou pas?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 pm
Invictus_88
I've not had it since I was last on the Continent, in my experience it's not seen here much. It's nice though, refreshing, but not really 'tea'.

I'm more impressed with the officer in Iraq who brewed two litres of English Breakfast Tea with milk and sugar, and froze it in a camelback to provide tea for a fully day in the baking hot sun.

The ice tea I drink is straight black tea chilled, so I don't see how it would be any less 'tea' than your officer's. Just mass produced.

Not surprised it isn't seen much cross the pond from here though.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 pm
Rev.Matt

There's this wonderful sig about women and whisky. ninja
Twelve years old and mixed with coke  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:55 am
Sir_Catherine
Invictus_88

The ice tea I drink is straight black tea chilled, so I don't see how it would be any less 'tea' than your officer's. Just mass produced.

They always taste of fruit, it seems.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 am
A Lost Iguana
Rev.Matt

There's this wonderful sig about women and whisky. ninja
Twelve years old and full of coke

On the rocks?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:46 pm
I'm developing an obsession for Chrysanthemum tea.

Can't stand tea that's been contaminated with sugar, have a bare minimum tolerance for milky tea.

Invictus_88

Back when my dad was in the Royal Air Force, in Libya; drinking tea was compulsory! "Drink tea, it will help cool you down. This is an order."  

Bonita Chaotica

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:00 pm
Invictus_88
Sir_Catherine
Invictus_88

They always taste of fruit, it seems.

Of fruit?! What brand were you drinking? eek  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:03 pm
Bonita Chaotica

Can't stand tea that's been contaminated with sugar, have a bare minimum tolerance for milky tea.

Greetings Bonita.

A book finally explained that milk in tea will reduce the bitterness, so because I like my tea brewed very strong, I tried a few drops of milk in a full beaker of Earl Grey. I was pleasantly surprised to find the tea retained all it's flavor but the bitterness was much reduced.

Sugar in tea though, I consider sacrilegious. wink

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 pm
Sir_Catherine
Bonita Chaotica

Greetings Bonita.

A book finally explained that milk in tea will reduce the bitterness, so because I like my tea brewed very strong, I tried a few drops of milk in a full beaker of Earl Grey. I was pleasantly surprised to find the tea retained all it's flavor but the bitterness was much reduced.

Sugar in tea though, I consider sacrilegious. wink

Earl Grey is one of those teas you aren't supposed to have milk with. (I still do but I like my tea milky)

Anyone like Redbush tea? It's good, stops the tea cravings but doesn't make me feel too frirrrr (it's the only way to describe it).  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff