Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
"WHORE!" "...It means I don't do drugs." "Oh..." Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you straight edge?
  HELL NO.
  Yeah. Represent.
  Don't give a s**t either way.
View Results

ryozo125

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:58 pm
i hate being 10 it forces me to be straight edge and it f*cking sucks........ scream  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:34 pm
if you're 10 get off this site...and go be with your friends
and you're not emo either  

The Dadalorian
Crew

ryozo125

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:43 pm
Soviet Mudkipz
if you're 10 get off this site...and go be with your friends
and you're not emo either
why is it that so many people think that age is such a important factor in life  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 pm
it is a huge factor, think about a job for instance, they're definitely gonna take me a 17 yr old over a 10 year old
also with age comes maturity, and also experience which you don't have enough of. trust me when you get older you'll see that age has a lot of importance to someone  

The Dadalorian
Crew

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:20 pm
At 10 you havent even experienced really anything yet.
Nor have you gone through puberty.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:35 pm
i'm surprised he didn't cuss me out being ten and me saying that  

The Dadalorian
Crew

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 pm
Soviet Mudkipz
i'm surprised he didn't cuss me out being ten and me saying that

He doesnt have the balls.
No pun intended.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:09 pm
i know a lot of 10 year olds who'd get all up in my grill  

The Dadalorian
Crew

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:14 pm
Just tell them motherf***ers to go s**t on a d**k.
Or just confuse them.
Or give them candy...Kids LOVE candy...And Naruto.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:20 pm
i'll bring up algerbra or trigenometry

O.O yay veggietales  

The Dadalorian
Crew

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:36 pm
physics
quantum mechanics
quantum physics
calculus
statistics
Biology - cell respiration and photosynthesis
anatomy- detailed
philosophy

AND....

POLITICAL SCIENCE
ex post facto and habeous corpus b***h!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:34 pm
Only the strongest will survive
Lead me to heaven, when we die

O Kay so strait edge (sXe) is people who don't do drugs, drink or sleep around right?
I could almost be "sXe" Buuut...
I drink.
Not over the top drinking...
Just a cooler every now and then... with family or on special events like Halloween, Christmas, New Years...
Like that.
But I'm still a virgin and I refuse to do any drugs(other than drinking alcohol)...
So I'm kind of close...
But not really.
xD
Drunk guys at concerts are funny!
;3

I am the shadow on the wall
I'll be the one to save us all

Sarahaii-chan

Rellik San
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:29 am
Sarahaii-chan

O Kay so strait edge (sXe) is people who don't do drugs, drink or sleep around right?
I could almost be "sXe" Buuut...
I drink.
Not over the top drinking...
Just a cooler every now and then... with family or on special events like Halloween, Christmas, New Years...
Like that.
But I'm still a virgin and I refuse to do any drugs(other than drinking alcohol)...
So I'm kind of close...
But not really.
xD
Drunk guys at concerts are funny!
;3

Trust me, your not even close, most straight edgers are so far removed from the realities of drinking, drug taking, meat eating and sex (lets face it, they only hate sex cos' they can't get any) that most of them refuse to associate with anyone that has even sniffed alcohol, never mind drunk some.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:33 am
Anyway, as far as my opinion goes on straight edge, so long as your not insulting or (attempting) to threaten me because I'm not straight edge and so long as you know its your personal choice that you have no right to push on others in anyway, shape or form, then go for it.  

Rellik San
Captain

Sarahaii-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Oh I love wikipedia:
Quote:
gs, as well as casual sex. The latter is sometimes overlooked, but it was a value in the original definition of straight edge. There is considerable debate over what constitutes a straight edge lifestyle, and some may also abstain from caffeine, follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, and refuse to take psychiatric drugs. The term was coined by the 1980s hardcore band Minor Threat. Other bands from the 1980s which promoted straight edge philosophies included 7 Seconds, SSD, and Youth of Today, while bands from the 2000s include Good Clean Fun, Casey Jones, and Throwdown.

Etymology

While many of the precepts can be traced to earlier ideas, the term "straight edge" comes from Minor Threat's 1981 song "Straight Edge." The lyrics, written and sung by Ian MacKaye, condemn psychoactive drug use: "I'm a person just like you /But I've got better things to do /Than sit around and ******** my head/Hang out with the living dead/Snort white s**t up my nose/Pass out at the shows/I don't even think about speed/That's something I just don't need".

The chorus is the phrase "I've got the straight edge." repeated several times. MacKaye says that he meant that by abstaining from drugs and alcohol, he had an advantage, or an "edge", when compared to those who indulged too heavily; and he was considered to be "straight" during an era where recreational drug use was closely correlated with rock and roll.[1]

"X" symbol

The letter "X" is the most prevalent symbol of straight edge. Commonly it is worn as a marking or tattoo on the back of one or both hands, though it can be displayed on other body parts as well. Some followers of straight edge have also incorporated the symbol into clothing and pins. According to a series of interviews by journalist Michael Azerrad, the straight-edge "X" can be traced to the Teen Idles' brief U.S. West Coast tour in 1980.[1] The Idles were scheduled to play at San Francisco's Mabuhay Gardens, but when the band arrived, club management discovered that the entire band was under the legal drinking age and therefore should be denied entry to the club.

As a compromise, management marked each of the Idles' hands with a large black "X" as a warning to the club's staff not to serve alcohol to the band. Upon returning to Washington, D.C., the band suggested this same system to local clubs as a means to allow teenagers in to see musical performances without being served alcohol. While the practice was never widely adopted by D.C.-area music venues,[1] the mark soon became associated with the straight edge lifestyle.

Sometimes the number "24" is used, as X is the 24th letter of the alphabet. A variation involving a trio of Xs ("XXX") originated in artwork created by Minor Threat's drummer, Jeff Nelson, in which he replaced the three stars in the band's hometown Washington, D.C. flag with Xs.[citation needed]. The term is sometimes abbreviated by including an "X" with the first two letters of the words "straight edge": sXe.

History

Straightedge has gone through three different eras since its creation in 1980.[2] Associated with punk-rock, the early years of the straightedge subculture are now called the Old School Era. However in the late nineteen eighties the straightedge subculture seemed to drift further and further away from the punk culture. The following era called Youth Crew, presented different types of elements that began to change the subculture. For example, vegetarianism became a major theme along with following the Krishna-consciousness faith (see ISKCON). Youth Crew also led to tension inside the subculture. After nearly a decade of the separation of straightedge-punk from the punk culture, the era called Straight Edge 2000 brought the cultures together without clash.

Old School

Straight edge ideas can be found in songs by the early-70's band The Modern Lovers, particularly their songs "I'm Straight" and "She Cracked". Hard rock icon Ted Nugent also inspired the early straight edge movement with his frequent declaration that he did not drink alcohol or smoke tobacco or marijuana.[3] However, straight edge was most closely associated with punk rock, particularly the faster subgenre of hardcore punk that developed in the late 1970s and early '80s, which was partly characterized by shouted rather than sung vocals.[4] Straightedgers of this early "Old School" era often associated with the original punk ideals such as individualism, disdain for work and school, and live-for-the-moment attitudes.[2]

Though straight edge started on the US east coast in Washington D.C. and New York, it quickly spread through the entire nation and Canada.[5] By the '80s, bands on the west coast, such as Uniform Choice, were gaining national acclaim. In the early stages of this subculture’s history, musical gigs often consisted of non-straightedge punk bands along with straightedge bands. However, circumstances soon changed and the Old School Era would eventually be viewed as the time “before the two scenes separated”.[4] Old School straightedge bands included: Minor Threat, 7 Seconds, SSD, Uniform Choice, and Cause for Alarm

Youth Crew

Although the music and the subculture are dependent on each other, at certain points, the musical influence seems to be stronger than at other times. During the Youth Crew Era, the influence of music seems to be at an all-time high. Furthermore, the new branches of straightedge that erect during this era all seem to come from an idea presented in a song. The Youth Crew Era emphasizes the idea that cultures are influenced by media; music is the dominant media source for tenets of the straightedge subculture.

Starting in the mid- 1980s, the name of New York straightedge band Youth of Today became associated with the straight edge movement. In their song “Youth Crew” they expressed their views on uniting the scene into a movement.[6] The most identifiable theme that arose during the Youth Crew Era was straightedge association with vegetarianism.

In 1988 straight edge band Youth of Today released their song “No More” that would initiate this new theme within the subculture. Lead singer Ray Cappo displayed his vegan views in the lyrics: “Meat-eating, flesh-eating, think about it/ so callous this crime we commit”.[7] By the end of the 1980s, bands all over the United States and Canada sang about animal cruelty.

During the late 1980s, not all people that claimed to be straightedge identified with animal rights issues, though as the 1990s came on the horizon, bands such as Earth Crisis (with their frontman Karl Buechner) had continued this trend. By the early 1990s, hardline and militant straightedge were a well known presence in the straightedge music scene. The term militant described someone who was dedicated and outspoken, but also believed to be narrow-minded, judgmental, and potentially violent.[8] The Militant/Hardline straightedger was characterized by the following: less tolerant of non-straightedge people, more outward pride in being straight edge, more outspoken, and believed that violence was a necessary method to promote clean living.[8] Youth Crew Era bands include: Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, Bold, Youth of Today

Straight Edge 2000 Era

As the Youth Crew Era matured, some of the negative aspects that surrounded straightedge started to disappear. The Straight Edge 2000 Era once again reunited the punk-rock culture. Similar to the Old School Era, straightedge and non-straightedge bands played concerts together regularly. Since the straightedge movement had existed for around twenty years, many members disliked the Youth Crew Era style of music and principles.[9] Others did not care about Minor Threat or any of the pioneers of the movement. [9]

Straight Edge 2000 Era bands include: Champion, Carry On, Good Clean Fun, Casey Jones, Trial, Have Heart, Verse, Down To Nothing, and Throwdown.

Spirituality

There is much variation regarding viewpoints on how the straight edge philosophy affects or is affected by an individual's religion or theological associations. Straight edge followers seem to run the religious gamut, and are comprised of atheists, agnostics, and ascribers to various theologies. Personal responsibility, the rejection of the divine, and the concept of having an uninhibited mind have all been linked with such arguments. Likewise, the philosophy has found itself in line with a number of Christian beliefs. The rejection of illicit substances and alcoholic beverages, as well as abstinence from premarital sex, are commonly encouraged by many mainstream churches.

Some straight edge bands have expressed hostility towards Christianity. Examples include the songs "This Ain't No Cross On My Hand" by Limp Wrist, "Real Edgemen Hate Jesus" by XfilesX, and "Straight Edge Punks Not Christian ********" by Crucial Attack.

Violence

A subset of straight edge had a more militant mentality and was involved in physical assaults in the United States during the 1980s and up to the mid 1990s. Police in some communities—such as Salt Lake City and Reno—have classified straight edge as a gang due to violence associated with militant straight edge groups in these cities.[10][11]

Wow...

The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games