Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}
What do you think about listening to non-Christian music??? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is it wrong to listen to non-Christian music???
  yes
  no
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:20 am
Sakura_Chan133
Enchanting? Coolest word ever. xd

Yeah, that was actually nice. I thought you meant it was made by those people. I have a really intense hatred for them... stare

Anyway, yeah, it sounds nice! Sorry for being ignorant.

No, Steven Wilson is not a serial killer/rapist! stressed

The album was in no way supportive of those kinds of people. It's from their point of view, though. But most of the feelings that are put across are a mixture of disgust, pity, fear, and some strange melancholy puzzlement. It doesn't put them in a good light so much as it makes them more understood.

I won't hesitate to admit that many of the songs are brutal and sickening in content, but they achieve an end that glorifies the means. It's a really scary album, but incredibly beautiful and, yes, enchanting.

The killer is caught in the end, if it makes you feel any better. He realizes what he's done. In the last song, he actually seems to retain a conscience. There's a lot of speculation as to whether it's just a facade before the court or if he's genuinely sorry. It seems to be directed to a particular person. That could be a victim, or even himself. Anyway, he's saying goodbye to someone. And it's fairly obvious he's saying that something is over. I think he commits suicide:

I won't shiver in the cold
I won't let the shadows take their toll
I won't cover my head in the dark
And I won't forget you when we part

Collapse the Light Into Earth

I won't heal given time
I won't try to change your mind
I won't feel better in the cold light of day
But I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to stay

Collapse the Light Into Earth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPk4CK2Hc3A  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am
Wah, that sounds sad... crying  

x unobstructed pencil x

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:23 am
Sakura_Chan133
Wah, that sounds sad... crying

I know. And in the context of the album, it brought tears to my eyes. It is simply beautiful.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:27 am
I feel that Secular (non-Christian) music is great as long as it is used to promote a good message or to communicate emotions in a non-destructive light. Music that suggests that you harm yourself, other people, or (in my opinion) any living creature, is music used improperly. I am still undecided on music that is more sensual because I think it is fine in certain life context. Now music that is needlessly nasty and full of sex for the sake of sex, to me, is wrong. It comes down to scrupples and opinions. I guess the biggest thing is that everything is permissible, but not everything is profitable. If the music is causing you to compromise your morals, or your relationship with God than the music is not worth keeping. And music effects people in different ways... so If you get depressed by someone like Evanessence but your friend doesn't, than maybe you shouldn't listen, but for them it is ok.  

IkaruTiger

550 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:02 am
Let me put it this way: I would rather burn in Hell than live a life without my music.

Music is an art. And I need art to live; music in particular. And you know what? Sometimes art addresses "bad" things like drugs and sex. It has to be done; I wouldn't have it any other way.

And let's face it: The vast majority of Christian music isn't artistic at all. It's "musical bullshit", as musicians call it. Granted, there are some good bands, but not enough to replace what I have now. Bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Rush and King Crimson are one-of-a-kind and irreplaceable.

Life would be empty without music. Not even God could fill the hole.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm
I think that if you listen to non Christian music that has good meanings then its fine. I found that when I listened to songs like "My Humps" and artist that swear a lot like Eminem I myself was affected by the music. I started swearing and I couldn't seem to stop. Then I switched over to Christian rock and the mainstream songs that have good meanings like "Everytime We Touch" and um... Taylor Swift has some good songs I stopped swearing. I have a better attitude.

I personally believe that the music you listen to affects your subconscious.  

mistymorning14

3,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Citizen 200

Zolof Keeper Of Souls

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 pm
no i dont as long as it dosent go against the bible in any way (cursing using gods name in vain ect.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:56 pm
Interesting question.... I think part depends on what you mean by "non Christian..." If you simply talking about secular music then no, I see no problem....the question to ask yourself is..."how do I feel knowing that Jesus is listening to this music with me...." For instance, I don't think Jesus would have a problem w/ me listening to say....some of Elvis, Reba, or even Simple Plan...as long as it was something that was clean cut etc. Make sense? Also, what is interesting to me is I have grown up in a church that believes that Christian music (w/ music playing) outside of church is wrong....so, it is interesting to me to know that there are some who worry about not listening to enough! biggrin  

Spidget

Knatalie9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm
Different people have different struggles. If it doesn't affect you, by all means listen to the music that you want. I do. I do listen to a mix of secular and Christian music. I like what I like. And what i have found, is that it does affect me to just listen to secular music. As far as my attitude and speech goes especially. But I get bored just listening to Christian music. A nice mix is best for me, where as different things work for different people  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:43 am
Well listening to mainstream music is okay in moderation, not all of it is void of god or against god.

But I'd really try to avoid the Hip-hop they play on mainstream stations these days, even though its some of it is really catchy xd .  

RekaG

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 pm
theres nothing wrong with listening to non-Christian music though some peaple me prefer Christian music i see nothing wrong with it its just music.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:47 pm
While lately I've been listening to more Christian rock than my previously favourite Disturbed, Dragonforce, Godsmack and Breaking Benjamin songs, I still like the rhythm and the sound of the music. I still listen to the songs with the exception of stuff like Inside the Fire or Believe where the singer starts talking like I should be worshipping him or he's calling God a lie. Uh uh, not gonna listen to that garbage.

Other times I like thinking about some songs out of context. For instance, I was playing Rock Band 2 on my brother's Xbox360 one day and I decided I'd try Judas Priest's "Painkiller" on expert just to see if I could beat it (I failed horribly the first...fifty times during the intro), and I kind of took the lyrics out of context and related the qualities to Jesus:

Planets devastated
Mankind's on its knees
A saviour comes from out the skies
In answer to their pleas

Recently I just stopped listening to this song because the mere name of the band is a flat-out insult to the Big J.C..

I used to let music influence my thinking. I was a total brat and used to listen to Down With the Sickness' child abuse part where the singer starts cursing out his mother. That was before I started really caring about my life and about God. Now I'm slowly caring less and less about those old songs. Besides, I've found a few awesome Christian Rock bands that are just as good if not better than this stuff. I'll probably end up not caring about the bands anymore and just stop listening to them soon. The best way to not let some music influence you is to just stop listening. Y'know, the whole abstinence thing, except applied to music.

Anyway, I agree with those who said that as long as you don't let the songs influence your life negatively, it shouldn't matter all that much. It's like an R rated movie or an M rated video game: If you're not mature enough to make sure it doesn't influence you, then shouldn't be playing it.

That's just my 2 cents (+tax), but meh.

God bless.  

Romjacks

Matt Pniewski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:16 pm
I've never listened to Christian Music that I've liked. I rather have mainstream music that has Christian Themes. Like, say, Alice Cooper's later works often times relate to his Christian Faith (I appreciate his music, though I don't always agree with the religious sentiment. Fact is, the guy who did Schools Out is making better Christian Rock than Christian Rock musicians).

Frankly, I rather listen to the panic and angst of Punk Rock musicians like "The Clash" or "The Subhumans", and other bands who cry out for positive change. I'm a huge Punk Rock fan, and I think perhaps one of the most poignant and moving songs I've heard was "I'm Not Down" by "The Clash".

The song is about life. It's about a guy whose had crap his life, and he keeps on fighting make it all get better for him. But instead of it getting better, the song states it'll probably get a bit worse before that happens. But you gotta keep going, and not let things bring you down.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:39 am
I listen to everything. It is not changing who I am, and that is what's more important. Music is used for pretty much everything. As long as you keep the right mindset, you shouldn't have a problem with the music that tends to degrade women and exploit sex and wealth.
Just don't let it change you.  

Stargirl8480

spingus

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 am
mistymorning14

I personally believe that the music you listen to affects your subconscious.

i agree with this, and i believe it is the reason that a lot of people don't accept secular music. it is clear that if you aren't paying attention to what you're listening to, reading, or hanging around with, then it will eventually affect you, negatively or otherwise.

Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff