0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gold!!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

xpumkynxmonkiex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:54 am
wow. i love her books! i read sunshine, spindle's end, and beauty. My fav. so far is beauty, and the way she totally re-told the story  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:57 pm
i have read almost all of the books that she's written! my favorite one though would have to be Deerskin heart blaugh , it was so good and then Blue Sword!! i thought that sunshine was ok, but it wasn't one of my favorites! neutral  

angelic5252

angelic5252

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:00 pm
The Blue Sword and Deerskin are so of the best books of all time!!! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:38 am
Thread necromancy!

*love* this author and I can never find people who read her.

My current favorite is Outlaws of Sherwood, because I like how she characterized Robin Hood, but then again I have an innate curiosity for retellings of the Robin Hood story.

Though I think of all of the The Hero and the Crown is the best one, IMHO.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:36 pm
I actually much prefer The Blue Sword to The Hero and the Crown. It may be because that was the first Robin McKinley book I read, but I just like it better. And there were some parts of The Hero and the Crown that confused me--don't ask me which, I don't remember--the first time I read it, so that I had to re-read the sections over. I don't like when books have that sort of thing. Beside that, I liked Harry as a character more than Aerin. The only real problem I had with The Blue Sword was Harry falling in love with Corlath--it just didn't seem very plausible. After all, she spent all that time hating him, and then she was away from him for weeks, and suddenly she loves him? It's iffy, at the least. At least with Aerin and Tor, it made a bit more sense. (I have no idea what names I'm getting wrong or spelling incorrectly, I haven't read the books in a good long time. n.n")  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:37 pm
I first read hero and the Crown when I was in late high school. I think I had bought it in middle school and it sat mouldering on my shelf for a few years. I liked the Blue Sword a great deal, but at the time I connected with Aerin. (ah young high school dreams)

I can see it going both ways. And confusing - I think it was mouldering on my shelf exactly because the first try I thought the same. It grew on me the more times I read it.

Still, I'll agree both are excellent books.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Mara Jade Immortal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:17 pm
I totally love Robin McKinley's books! My favorite is Rose Daughter. That book is absolutely amazing, in every way. But Beauty, written some years earlier, is still awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:43 pm
Yuki Arrowfeather
I totally love Robin McKinley's books! My favorite is Rose Daughter. That book is absolutely amazing, in every way. But Beauty, written some years earlier, is still awesome.

Funny. I would put it the other way around smile Rose Daughter is a beautiful book, and it has grown on me, but I like Beauty better. The characters are so much more human. Reading Rose Daughter I find myself missing things like the girls learning to scrub floors ("There is an art to scrubbing a floor, not a very delicat arte, but an art") or bits where the three sisters are assuring their father that they are very happy in their new home, and they mean it, but Hope glances down a bit ruefully at her chapped hands.*

*Quotations are not exact. I've read the book many times, but not quite so often as to have it fully memorized.

**And I think I've already said this, earlier. My apologies razz  

Bookwyrme

Mara Jade Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:54 am
that's funny, because I think most people like Beauty better. There's something about Rose Daughter that really appeals to me. I suppose I like the mystical side of it more.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 am
I haven't read any of her books yet although she's in my "to buy list" heehee I have to say though... that list is looong... hopefully I'd be able to buy one of her books soon! 4laugh  

Iana_Rosterbom

Dapper Genius

ValHallaGirl

Kitten

12,450 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm
shes awsome  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:37 pm
Iana_Rosterbom
I haven't read any of her books yet although she's in my "to buy list" heehee I have to say though... that list is looong... hopefully I'd be able to buy one of her books soon! 4laugh

That's what libraries are for! You get the books for free smile Then you can read them & decide whether you like them enough to want them on your shelves forever.  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:23 pm
So, this girl I work with has read most of Robin McKinley's books, and I've been talking to her about them, and it was so fun. But that's pretty irrelevant right now.

Mor eimportantly, Robin McKinley has a new book coming out in about a month. It's called Dragonhaven. I forget what it's about, but it sounded pretty interesting. According to Amazon, it comes out on September 20th.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:53 pm
The Hero and the Crown got kind of wierd at the end...  

soupyeh

Wissakins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 am
I find it annoying that most of the bookstores I've gone to recently don't have a single McKinley on their shelves. I've had to resort to ordering her books off the internet. Even then, some are harder to find than others.

Oh, and this is supposedly her homepage: http://www.robinmckinley.com  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces