14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:44 pm
Rellik San
Rowan Birch
Hellsing is counted as gothic because it has a vampire in it. *Shrugs*
Other than that, I'd call it much more an adventure comic.
Hikaru No Go is a sports comic, But Hikaru dresses in a way I'd identify as kind of a punkish-skater boy sometimes (deispite the fact he's not) does that mean that it's a mall goth type comic? No, it's about Go, which when you come down to it, is a board game.
Hikaru no Go isn't a sports comic, its about Games, same as Yu-Gi-Oh, speaking of which anyone notice Yugi tended to dress pretty gothily?
Yes, and not just Yugi. In the Duel City story arch, there was a new kind of goth each week.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm
The Goth Apple
Rellik San
Rowan Birch
Hikaru No Go is a sports comic, But Hikaru dresses in a way I'd identify as kind of a punkish-skater boy sometimes (deispite the fact he's not) does that mean that it's a mall goth type comic? No, it's about Go, which when you come down to it, is a board game.
Hikaru no Go isn't a sports comic, its about Games, same as Yu-Gi-Oh, speaking of which anyone notice Yugi tended to dress pretty gothily?
Yes, and not just Yugi. In the Duel City story arch, there was a new kind of goth each week.
no but never seen show just seen poasters  

starkespada

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:07 pm
Mmmm, anime/manga. blaugh

I found a really cute and relatively new series. Chibi Vampire. I likey.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:54 pm
GilAskan
Rowan Birch

It's not part of the gothic genre, even if it has gothic themes.

Gothic-horror is a genre of storytelling known for heavy use of imagery, sexual metaphor, eroticism, mystery, and suspense. First started by "Castle of Otantro" by Walpole, some the genre's most famous authors include Ann Radcliffe, Matthew Gregory Lewis, Marquis de Sade (arguably), Brom Stoker, Mary Shelley, and, the most famous, Edgar Allen Poe.

Though Hellsing has some limited thematic influence from the genre, it is as a whole an action series.

Then thats like saying the Crow isn't a particularly gothy film because it puts action first.

The fact is, when you're working in a visiual medium, especially one being published in a comic targeted at young teen's (Hellsing was riginally published in Young King Ours, my favourite Shonen magazine). You have a limited amount you can do with sexual metaphor and eroticism, but if you look it is there. Again, but rather then conveying it directly, it conveys it subtly through visual imagery, why do you think Cere's Halconen and Halconen II are so big? Also the relationship between Alucard and Integra is borderline sexual, even down to the master/servant thing which is in itself erotic. Also a big deal is made of Alucards appearance, especially out of the traditional coat and tie. Often turning into wearing leather straps and such. Which again, imagery suggesting bondage, in this case, physical servitude, but its still there. Trust me, I had to spend a year at college studying visual meaning and metaphor, its there, you just have to know what too look for. 3nodding  

Rellik San
Crew

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:07 am
EvFaerAshlynn
Mmmm, anime/manga. blaugh

I found a really cute and relatively new series. Chibi Vampire. I likey.

I love it! 4laugh But to tell the truth I was into goth well before manga/anime (my mate introduced me to it when I was about 17). I think goths are more willing to have a go at something new. I read a lot of different kind of manga (like Fruits basket, Hellsing, Battle royale) and I'm willing to try something new (books, games, music, etc). I'd rather say that I gave it a shot then close my mind to it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:31 pm
well...as for myself i watch and read a lot of anime  

littoswtangvil

halo647

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:23 pm
im like in obssesed with bet the vandel buster  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:41 pm
halo647
im like in obssesed with bet the vandel buster
Isn't that BEAT the Vandal Buster?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the up comming Highlander anime from Manga, I finally saw Endgame the other day, and it was the biggest waist of an hour and a half in my life. Connor McCleod had such a crap death its untrue.  

Rellik Chan

RedRosez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:16 pm
Mm I'm not. Some pictures are pretty, but I never really got into it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:49 pm
GilAskan
I wouldn't say that the relation is that large, but I would say that almost a third of goths watch anime or read manga.

As for why the relation exists, I would imagine that it comes from the general behaviors of goths. Though goths can really act in any way imaginable, many goths are fairly open minded, and therefore, would be willing to try out anime or manga.

I would suspect you'd also find an unusually large percentage of goths who watch foreign films, go to art galleries, or attend theater. Or such similar things which typically aren't integrated into the majority.

I agree with you...I also think that there has been an uprise in awareness of other cultures such as goths being into things from the japanese culture or some who don't lie the japanese stuff but who are huge into anything having to do with germany (mainly anything to do with the music and language). I think something within the japanese culture just clicks with goths because I do know of a crap load of goth kids who are manga and anime and anything japanese whores lol. I'm not so much into anime but I love manga and through manga I stumbled on a desire to actually start getting into gothic comic books. Gloom cookie rocks by the way...it's a gothic style comic book series...you guys should check it out.  

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:55 pm
Rellik San
MortSanglant
Personally I believe it comes with the fact a lot of the so-called goths and/or emos/any person with an alternative lifestyle are in their chosen life path for the sole purpose of deviating from the norm.

Something that deviates from the norm in my part of the world is Japanese culture.

Delving into anime or manga makes them feel cultured.

Personally I find most hardcore anime fans to be highly annoying. Their shrieking fandom and obessive nature makes me want to run my nails down a chalkboard.

Not to say I'm against anime. I enjoy it when it's good.

Most anime are carbon copies of each other or have so many cliches thrown into them that they get boring quickly.

I suppose I'm just ranting.

But back to my main point, I believe a lot of it originates [key word] with a need to be different.

User Image

I agree with you to an extent, but the cheesy cliches are what I love about anime, down to the kind of jokes that make me shake my head and grin with how bad they are.

Though the extremist's ruin it, to the point, where they start calling you names and flaming you if you ask them not to spoil an episode thats been available for a few hours because you weren't up to get it the instant it was released for download. Also the know it alls, that believe because they know about obscure generic adventure anime 3 and you don't they are better then you.

Personally I just mention Violence Jack, Doomed Megaopolis and Angel Cop and they normally start shrinking away in terror... and people that completely dismiss dubs as being crap, annoy me too.

The thing is...you are going to get annoying fanatics in just about any hobby you get into. Yes I hate them too...they snub you just because you don't have the latest japanese version downloaded or they knew of that underground band before they went big...or they've been reading comic books since they were 2 and have collected all the rares...it's everywhere. I personally extraordinarilly hate what I like to call music snobs but you're going to get anime and manga snobs too especially if you go to the conventions they have for anime and manga.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:44 am
bump  

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

Particle Wad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 am
I agree with most of the posts I've read, and if you think about it, the other major stereotypes: jocks, preps, hippies, I guess goth is the most likely to be into anime.

I just hate it when people think they're goth because they like anime. And by liking anime, I mean that they only watch Naruto and that's all they talk about, and they obsess about it and talk real loudly and go on and on and on about Gaara and sandpeoples and Sasuke's hair. I'm not dissing Naruto, but I'd much rather talk about something different once in a while, y'know?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:51 am
I really do not like naruto...I'd rather watch "Avatar". Then again I'm not really an anime fan anymore I'm more into manga.  

Gothic_Lipstick_Kisses

starkespada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:51 pm
thought i think we can all agree that the japanesse voice acting is far much better than that of the american voice acters i say that because the japanese voice almost always fits and the american hardly ever dose  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff