10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:55 pm
tecche
How Daine and Numair -esque.

(About to give something away smile Yeah, they don't end up together. Which is part of why it's weird.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:56 pm
NightIntent
tecche
How Daine and Numair -esque.

(About to give something away smile Yeah, they don't end up together. Which is part of why it's weird.

So it's just a crush? That's not too strange.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:00 pm
She explains it, sort of. Something about when owls fall in love, it's for life, and she will never get over the teacher and will always love him and she's starving herself so she can go stare at him, etc., etc. Very odd. Then, at the end of the book, she falls in love with someone else. And explains that, too. Saw it coming, but it's still weird.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 pm
A couple of others I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia Wrede. It's about guess which tale? Very well told, but then most things by Wrede are.

Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. It's a very unusual retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, mixed with the tale of a Holocaust survivor who has used it to help herself survive.

Teri Windling and Ellen Datlow put out an anthology every year or so that has retellings of fairy tales in them. Most of them are good, though I admit to skipping around in them because many are also horror (as several of you have noted fairy tales are not always nice) and I have a limitted capacity for horror. However, I've discovered a number of authors that way.  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:57 pm
Bookwyrme
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. It's a very unusual retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, mixed with the tale of a Holocaust survivor who has used it to help herself survive.

That was kind of an odd one. Not necessarily bad, but odd. I was hopnig for more Sleeping Beauty paralells, but it was pretty good anyway. I really should never get my hopes up about books.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:53 pm
FaeDreamer
One of my passions is retold fairy tales....I think my favorite so far is Beauty and the Beast but I've read quite a few others as well. heart

Here's a few:
Rose Daughter Beauty and the Beast - Robin McKinley
Beauty Beauty and the Beast - (a completely different version) also by Robin Mckinley
Ella Enchanted Cinderella - Gale Carson Levine
Fire Rose Beauty and the Beast - Mercedes Lackey
Spindles End Sleeping Beauty - Robin McKinley
The Fairy Godmother Mix of Bro. Grimm's - Mercedes Lackey

Anybody else know of any good retellings? I love them and they are hard to find.

i have read the majority of these books and they are all really good. i love retold fairy tales. heart  

angelic5252

godhi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 am
Here are both a novel and a collection of dark faerie tales:

arrow Enchanted by Orson Scott Card: a retelling of Sleeping Beauty which takes place in Russia and involves time travel as well as Baba Yaga as the wicked witch. Definitely worth reading.

arrow Red as Blood: Tales of the Sisters Grimmer by Tanith Lee: if you like your fantasy dark, this is as dark as it gets. A delightful collection of short stories taking place in different countries during various times in history, with the title story, Red as Blood taking place in medieval Russia with Snow White as a beautiful and seductive vampire--and the Queen as the heroine!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:39 pm
Try the Once Upon a time Series. heart My favorite ones were:
Scarlett Moon
The Story Tellers Daughter
Snow
Midnight Pearls  

Silver.-.Bullet

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:08 pm
Jim C. Hines has some good remakes. His retellings stray towards the darker Grimm brothers' versions but they are excellent reads.

The Stepsister Scheme
The Mermaid's Maddness
Red Hood's Revenge  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 am
Someone was talking about Donkeyskin.. the retold story it called Deerskin by Robin Mckinley (i like her). Also there is a trilogy called The Seven Waters Trilogy that has a form of retelling in them.. by Juliette Marilier (sp?)
anyway i love love love retold fairy tales .  

ValHallaGirl

Kitten

12,450 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Timid 100
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers