Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Life Issues & Fashion
~The Labels Sticky~ [Under Construction] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chansung

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:24 pm
GilAskan
Paidkiller
you forgot perky goff!!

Not an actual subculture or branch.

Just a term to generally describe upbeat goths who like some broad fashion choices.

Voltair said we counted as a branch :p  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:37 am
MortSanglant
GilAskan
KuroHono09
dont you people understand yet just because that is what is written doesnt mean that if you fall under some of the stuff you are goth and that doesnt mean that just because you dont fall under any of it you arent goth i mean holly crap he has only said it like what 12 times now

I highly, highly doubt that 100% of readers will ever get it, unfortunately.

It's because most people who claim to be goth feel they need to conform to some sort of mold.

They claim they're individuals, yet hold odd standards for which they and others must meet to be considered part of the subculture.

It's a disgusting oxymoron.

User Image

I really don't think that it's most people who do that. Some people, certainly not most.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:58 pm
Chansung
GilAskan
Paidkiller
you forgot perky goff!!

Just a term to generally describe upbeat goths who like some broad fashion choices.

Voltaire never said it was a subculture. He referred to it as a "face of goth", a personality type. Not an actual culture.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:12 am
...wow
who ever thought a list of common traits would keep getting used as a "goth checklist"

people are confused as to the meaning of this list...
basically if you have any of these traits, it just means you'd fit in with others who have the same or similar  

dark_LordBeld

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:26 pm
I hate how some people think they're "gothier" than me and feel the need to prove it by being absolute bitches stressed .  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:51 pm
TheNutcrackerPrince
I hate how some people think they're "gothier" than me and feel the need to prove it by being absolute bitches stressed .

It's an unfortunate air that exists in virtually all subcultures. Goth has long been known for it's arrogant vibe, though, in my experience, it's nowhere near as inwardly hostile as other subcultures.  

GilAskan
Crew

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:40 am
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince

It's an unfortunate air that exists in virtually all subcultures. Goth has long been known for it's arrogant vibe, though, in my experience, it's nowhere near as inwardly hostile as other subcultures.

Yeah, that's true. Preppy and goth are the worst I can think of...oh and "ghetto."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:20 pm
TheNutcrackerPrince
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince

Yeah, that's true. Preppy and goth are the worst I can think of...oh and "ghetto."

Punk and metal are the worst, by far.

The gangster rap culture is, on the whole, fairly accepting towards anyone willing to prove their place. There is very little debate as to what is and isn't "gangster".

The prep culture, on the whole, is also fairly accepting inwardly. Other than loose fashion ties, the culture isn't all too coherent, and therefore, unable to be inwardly critical.

The punk culture ripped itself apart in it's own self inquisition. What was and wasn't punk was constantly fought (even physically, sometimes), and the inherent paradoxes of a uniform group against uniform groups couldn't support the culture for long.

Metal is almost as chaotic as punk. Constant battles of what is and isn't really metal continually fragments the already fragmented culture, particularly in that each side is willing to take itself to further extremes in order to discredit all other sides.  

GilAskan
Crew

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:34 pm
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince

The gangster rap culture is, on the whole, fairly accepting towards anyone willing to prove their place. There is very little debate as to what is and isn't "gangster".

The prep culture, on the whole, is also fairly accepting inwardly. Other than loose fashion ties, the culture isn't all too coherent, and therefore, unable to be inwardly critical.

The punk culture ripped itself apart in it's own self inquisition. What was and wasn't punk was constantly fought (even physically, sometimes), and the inherent paradoxes of a uniform group against uniform groups couldn't support the culture for long.

Metal is almost as chaotic as punk. Constant battles of what is and isn't really metal continually fragments the already fragmented culture, particularly in that each side is willing to take itself to further extremes in order to discredit all other sides.

I've witnessed this first hand. One kid with a System of a Down shirt was being bitched at by some other guy almost dripping with chains and spikes. The entire argument was over whether or not SOAD was a real metal band. The fight turned physical, with heavy amounts of swearing and cussing. They really went to extremes to try to prove each other wrong, and their only arguments were just opinions on the different sub-generas of metal. I highly doubt either of them actually know what makes metal "metal" and the differences and simularities between the sub-generas. Basically, it was like this: "black metal is the only metal and the rest is wannabe s**t."  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:39 pm
I feel that I'd fall into EGA or a RomantiGoth.
(in a shell)  

Wanderer Ganglari

Gracious Seeker

7,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100

Tahmuku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm
Yes some people act like this, but not all "metal heads" are all alike. I listen to metal and have been in a few mosh pits, I’ve seen the effects of metal on people. If their was only one solidified definition of metal, as a musical style then it wouldn't grow. Maybe that was a bad example, Metal is like a heard of animals, aggressive and violent. It is constantly ripping out the weak so the strong will go on. Metal is Kind of like Spartans minus the tactical thinking and intelligence (sometimes sweatdrop ). Ok I’m going to stop on that note, too much rambling.

I have one question though, if by liking the darker side of live is a common trait among gothic culture, then wouldn’t more people be Goth? Or is it because they chose to deny that fact? I’m sorry if my argument is flawed but I’m a little confused as to what it is to be Goth.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:59 am
GilAskan
Chansung
GilAskan
Paidkiller
you forgot perky goff!!

Voltaire never said it was a subculture. He referred to it as a "face of goth", a personality type. Not an actual culture.

Who cares what Voltaire said? I mean, yeah, he's cool, but he's not in charge of Goth, as it were.  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:41 am
What about perky goths?

I at least have a very perky goth attitude (not the outfits or the musical taste though...)

And oh yeah... Voltaire is awesome, but no he isn't the boss of us... still, he has a fairly good understanding of what goes on in the culture.

And perky goths do have their own musical taste... leaning towards the obsessively happy bouncy techno.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:21 am
XWraith_LordX
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince
GilAskan
TheNutcrackerPrince

I've witnessed this first hand. One kid with a System of a Down shirt was being bitched at by some other guy almost dripping with chains and spikes. The entire argument was over whether or not SOAD was a real metal band. The fight turned physical, with heavy amounts of swearing and cussing. They really went to extremes to try to prove each other wrong, and their only arguments were just opinions on the different sub-generas of metal. I highly doubt either of them actually know what makes metal "metal" and the differences and simularities between the sub-generas. Basically, it was like this: "black metal is the only metal and the rest is wannabe s**t."

People keep telling me that "SOAD blows", but some of their stuff is pretty good.

Yeah, black is just one of the jagged facets of metal; no one person can speak for the entirety of the metal community on what is or isn't "real metal".

Also (for the sake of conversation/argument) I've heard some fans of, saying that Nightwish has become "shitty teen mass metal"-anyone have another viewpoint on this?  

dark_LordBeld

Siermana

Ruthless Lunatic

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 am
Spartan43736
I think that i qualify to the Goth culture ninja
I think that you do not.
It amazes me that most of you have the gall to call yourself a Goth when you don't even understand the point of this post.

*cries*

These are not guidelines for being Goth, they are not requirements, and they are NOT set traits that every Goth shares.

If you cannot understand that, then you are not Gothic. I'm sorry, but it's true. The majority of people in this Guild are not what they claim to be.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff