Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Starre's Sketchbook - New Picture Page 4(9/28/09) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:51 am

I'm living with false hope

And my eyes just want to see a ray of light

I'm gonna find it in my fairy tale...

thank you! I'll try taking a photo... I've done that a couple of times before and it's helped, don't know why I didn't think of it now.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am

User Image

Two of my OCs from my novel. I just felt like drawing their outfits from this one scene. The thing he's holding is some kind of instrument. It's not supposed to look like a real instrument, but more like some type of traditional thing form a society in another world. I may put in a slight background later... but for not I'd like some crit on what I have so far before I ink that.

User Image

I don't know how I thought of this idea. It's Princess Tutu characters in Code Geass school uniforms. The whole uniform switching thing has probably been done a hundred times before. I think I just wanted to see Fakir in that uniform.

I think Duck's tie looks kind of small. The girl in the background and the guy with her who I barely even started drawing will hopefully end up as Rue and Mytho...

Anyway, I'd like crit on that one too.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Akito Uchiha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 am

If I may...

The first drawing is quite good, but may I suggest working the hands a bit more? Specifically the girls right hand. The clothes are well done, and I like the accessories. This one remotely reminds me of Aladdin.

Your style really shines in the second picture. I can't distinguish what the guy is holding, but that may just be because it's a sketch. You're right, the girl's tie is too small. All I can recommend is, if I may be so bold, that unless the characters are posing for a picture, that they be more personal, and by this I mean looking at each other, for example. Or maybe just the guy, 'cause something seems to have caught the girl's attention.

Okay, you don't have to listen to that last part; feel free to ignore me.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:46 pm

No, you gave good advice. He's holding a pen, by the way. And I guess they kind of are posing for a picture or something... I don't really know why but that's kind of how I wanted it. I hope that's okay...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:38 pm

So... those two ended up not coming out so good.

And the rest of what I've drawn since then has turned out not so good because it wasn't supposed to be good. It was supposed to be cute.

I'm going to go smack the desire to draw cute stuff out of my head. It has no place there.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 am

I got some crit on this in the PP, and I fixed it a little, but then I flipped the picture after taking a photo and it turned out it wasn't enough. The head looks lopsided, and the arms look too thin, especially the left one, and the shoulder is still too small. But I'd like some more advice before I go back and change that, so if there's anything else that seems off, please tell me.

User Image

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:58 am

I kind of gave up on this picture but I might go back to it since I got all this crit.

Edit: Did I post that in the wrong thread? It appears I did...

Okay, I do have a new picture. I'll get that up in a minute.

Edit 2:

User Image

I got some crit on it and fixed it up a bit since I first posted it.

The shadow in the bottom left corner is my camera... sorry about that.

She's wearing a skirt, and there's going to be a border around the U-shape.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

Starre257

User Image

Okay, for this one, the head isn't really shaped like a proper skull, nor is the camera angel addressed. A human skull is roughly a circle with a triangular jaw. You seem to understand that but don't forget about forshortening. Her mouth should be drawn closer to the mouth and the nostril portion of the nose get over caste by the tip of the nose. Look at a person from slightly above eye level, you'll get what I mean. Also there isn't enough space of the top and back of the head.

As for the torso, her left shoulder on our right is too broad, it should be shorter than the other to show it's from a 3/4. This also kills the effect of the torso being at a 3/4. At her butt, the top perspective of how she's sitting is completely done away with. Her left butt cheek should follow the same direction as the shoulders, I assume her torso isn't twisted. The way her left leg is position also makes her pose stiff.

Her breast doesn't really connect naturally to her torso. Breasts connect to the pectoral muscles and THOSE connect to the arm pit.

There are also some minor problems with how her limbs connect to her body. I wish I could redline but I'm in class now Xl .

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

apiyo

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am

Starre257

User Image

The most obvious problem is her wings, they seem to stick out from nowhere. If you look at a bat's wings, they are basically modified arms. So when you draw a set of wings like those you include all the joints of an arm, down to the shoulders, just in wing shape.

I wish I could redline!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Starre257
I kind of gave up on this picture but I might go back to it since I got all this crit.

Edit: Did I post that in the wrong thread? It appears I did...

Okay, I do have a new picture. I'll get that up in a minute.

Edit 2:

User Image

I got some crit on it and fixed it up a bit since I first posted it.

The shadow in the bottom left corner is my camera... sorry about that.

She's wearing a skirt, and there's going to be a border around the U-shape.

Perspective is key here. Her arms turned out decent, they look very realistically posed. You just might want to keep her bicep from tapering in on the right arm.

For the wings, perspective is key. I get the impression that both wings should be folded, especially the one outstretched on her left. While the ends and tips of the wings seem to align, I think that stretch from her shoulder throws it off and that you should just pull the shape that would fit in a semi-triangle in to fix that.

the Caelos

Leadfooted Phantom

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas