Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
T i r a e l - [Full] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:54 pm
I just wanted to mention here that I've decided to keep my mentees for 1 month from the time they sign up with me.

I think that this way I can mentor more people and my mentees can get different opinions on their art biggrin I think art is something that is better with MANY teachers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:55 pm
T i r a e l
I just wanted to mention here that I've decided to keep my mentees for 1 month from the time they sign up with me.

I think that this way I can mentor more people and my mentees can get different opinions on their art biggrin I think art is something that is better with MANY teachers.

you know what else is better with many teachers...?  

simeis

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 pm
noofy
T i r a e l

SHH STOP WEIRDING OUT MY MENTEES D8> THEY DONT NEED TO KNOW THAT ;o;~~~ AND YOU SAID YOU'D KEEP IT BETWEEN US!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:03 pm
T i r a e l
noofy
T i r a e l

SHH STOP WEIRDING OUT MY MENTEES D8> THEY DONT NEED TO KNOW THAT ;o;~~~ AND YOU SAID YOU'D KEEP IT BETWEEN US!

you're such a perv D: i meant ~~HULA DANCING~~! >8D  

simeis

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:16 pm
XD Hee, you people amuse me. :3

Okeydoke. Now, if more mentors would do the same. Otherwise there might be people who will end up w/o a mentor, if all the mentors are full at the same time. Which would be bad. : O

Any general advice for watercolors? I actually HAVE the supplies needed for watercolour, and my inner cheapskate refuses to let me move on to oil paints or acrylic without first becoming at least somewhat proficient in watercolours first.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Sriae: XDD;; *cough* IM NORMAL *cough*

omg I LOVE watercolors *__*!

I have to confess I've been using the same set of 12 half-pan watercolors for the last few years XD;; But they're awesome and I'm nowhere near running out biggrin .

General advice you might already know:
1. Tape it down XD;;... if you're not using a surface that's really hard like illustration board, tape down your paper! What causes warping is uneven drying :3 so try to not let one area get really wet while the area next to it is still dry. Sometimes I cheat when I don't like waiting and I use a hairdryer to make sure it dries flat while I hold the paper flat and dry it evenly.
2. Don't worry about keeping your colors apart too much O:! The beauty of watercolor is when the colors mix together biggrin !
3. Keep in mind that watercolors are see-through so they add on each other and the best way is to work in layers getting darker and darker each time.
4. Try working from light areas to dark so you don't end up smearing the dark pigments into your skin tones for example.
5. Sometimes I lay down a flat wash before I begin to give a painting an overall tone and so the colors come together better biggrin ... if you need to you can mask off small sections with masking fluid so that it stays pure white.

Here's a good watercolor tutorial if you haven't already seen it: http://www.shadowscapes.com/StepByStepFoxSpirits/wc.shtml

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:48 pm
Heh, normal's not that interesting though. Gets boring after a while. In my opinion, anywayz. XD;

I suck at them. XD; My problem is letting the wrong colors run together cause I don't like to wait for it to dry. And then everything's brown/black/puke colored. >>; Well, the dark parts anyway.

Would you need to wet the paper first? I've seen books that tell you to do that. Though I've never actually got it to work like in the books. :/

OH WOW THAT TUTORIAL IS SO MUCH LOVE. [sparkles all over it] Thanks so much for pointing it out. heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 pm
XD;; well...

I kinda use cheap paper... If I soak + stretch my paper beforehand sometimes it falls apart later when I work the paper too much >__>;;

Idealy you should use paper that can be streched or is pre-stretched for you :]... (stretching is just when you wet the paper beforehand and let it dry evenly/flatly before using it so it doesn't warp later... though sometimes it still does a little sweatdrop )

Sriae: XDD seriously if you don't like to wait for it to dry... get a hairdryer >__>;; cheap but effective. And try to work from light--> dark to prevent too much unwanted smearing XP

p.s. your siggy isnt linking back to the guild Dx

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Kenaserenity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:56 pm
Hey, I got a new pic I just drew! 3nodding
I posed myself in front of the mirror xp , and tried my best to make it look good, but I can't seem to get the other side positioned correctly, and I can't draw the hand either... Help? question

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/Kenaserenity1313/clutch.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:06 pm
Thanks for the tips!

OMG, thanks for catching that! [scuttles off to link it]  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:43 pm
Kenaserenity:

hello~ very cool pose~

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/redline/Kenaserenity3.jpg
1) When shoulderrs hunch up like that it creates a 'fold' in the skin where the collarbone meets up with the neck. Just basically draw out the collarbone to help with defining the neck
2) Her boobs are way too high on her chest
3) It looks like you need practice on anatomy (i.e. body structure)

It's good that you're drawing from a real person instead from anime though :].

I suggest that you try to break the body down into easy shapes, people do this in many different ways like with blocks, tubes, wire frames etc. This basically allows you to picture the body parts and their dimensions better.

Also if you haven't yet you should try singing up for a mentor or two and making a mentee thread so you can get more input on your drawings.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:48 pm
Thanx! whee I've signed up for a mentor, but I think that you have the best grip on proportion. biggrin  

Kenaserenity

lenapii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:03 am
rofl heart heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 am
Psst >3> btw would any of you like 'assignments'?

I could make some up if you want... but what do you guys want to work on the most? O:

Or I can give general practices to work on, they don't have to be required.

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sriae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm
Sure! And PERSPECTIVE/FORESHORTENING. D: I failz at foreshortening SO BAD. ;_; Or mayhaps muscles/anatomy? Or color scheme/choices whachamacallit. :O Or composition.

I'm not much help am I. XD;  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces