Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Dragon magic? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Welcome to the world of Otakukin. "Otherkin", in the simplest sense, is someone who feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity. This ranges from "I've always been inexplicably spiritually drawn to ocelots" to animal-centric shamanism.
Don't you dare lump Animal-Centric Otherworld Trads in with those Nutters! Take it back HDC.

reagun ban
Henry Dorsett Case
But don't you know, by Infinite Worlds Theory, there really was a universe where FF7 happened!

I'm going to pray that this is sarcasm.
It's 01:35 and my sarcasm detector needs blatov (body language and tone of voice).
Could I make you feel dirty by actually saying in all honesty that given the nature of an overarching cosmology, I actually support this assertion?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:49 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Kuroiban
I've never thought of the invinite worlds theory in that manor...suddenly I feel really dirty.....in a bad way...
Welcome to the world of Otakukin. "Otherkin", in the simplest sense, is someone who feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity. This ranges from "I've always been inexplicably spiritually drawn to ocelots" to animal-centric shamanism.

There are also 'kin who believe themselves to actually be, spiritually, or physically, non-human. This ranges from those who talk about "wolf-like fangs" to those who believe they are the physical and spiritual descendents of marmots.

The fringe groups (like the FantasyNamedDragonKin and Otakukin/Otakin) tend to use Infinite Worlds as their crutch for how they can have the soul of, be a reincarnation of, or even spiritually connected to something entirely fictitious. I've even heard the argument from one particularly vehement SephiKin that every universe has one of each dragon, one Sephiroth, one Uchiha Sasuke, et cetera, which would explain why there are multiple SephiKin or SasuKin in this universe. I think his head asplode when he was asked what makes this universe so special that we would be able to deny another universe its one and only Sephiroth reborn.

It's not all "deranged fluff[ies] with delusions of grandeur".

You'll have to excuse my poor use of generlization. I've met a lot of people claiming to have Dragon, Gargoyle, and Angel souls. I've met very few with the souls of, say, wombats and beagles.

No one has the spirit of a Hippo damnit. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE HIPPOS!

Anyway, my appologies for generlizing...I've just yet to run into someone who claims such a thing and does not reak of crap and fluff. I forgot to keep in mind that someone(s) might not be morons.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:59 pm
That's it, I now am the reincarnated soul of a sloth. And to celebrate, I'mma gonna do nothing.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 pm
Nuri
That's it, I now am the reincarnated soul of a sloth. And to celebrate, I'mma gonna do nothing.

Preach it!

Just make sure you do...
that...
nothing...
very...
very...
slowly...  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:14 pm
Nuri
Bwhahahahaha!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:12 pm
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
Don't you dare lump Animal-Centric Otherworld Trads in with those Nutters! Take it back HDC.
I would if I didn't personally know parts of the overlap (as in, those who practice animal-centric shamanism who refer to themselves as OtherKin). And unfortunately, just as cubplay or "zoophilia via anthropomorphism" are subgenres of the furry fandom (liked or not), Otakukin are still a recognized subgenre of Otherkin. I only wish it were I that made the lumping so I could undo it.

Otakukin make Chiyo-chan cry.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
TeaDidikai
Henry Dorsett Case
I would if I didn't personally know parts of the overlap (as in, those who practice animal-centric shamanism who refer to themselves as OtherKin). And unfortunately, just as cubplay or "zoophilia via anthropomorphism" are subgenres of the furry fandom (liked or not), Otakukin are still a recognized subgenre of Otherkin. I only wish it were I that made the lumping so I could undo it.

Otakukin make Chiyo-chan cry.

Okay- I have two contests-
First, are they actually practicing an Otherworld Tradition? Or are they mentally Masturbating Animal Fantasies.

I know people who aspect animals. That doesn't make them Otherkin or Shamans.

Second- "overlap" does not mean one is included within the other. You said: " "Otherkin", in the simplest sense, is someone who feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity. This ranges from "I've always been inexplicably spiritually drawn to ocelots" to animal-centric shamanism."

Well, guess what- to assert that everyone who has an idea about their animal aids is an Otherkin is foolish at best- ignorant at worst.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 am
In otherwords HDC, your definition sucks.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:06 am
TeaDidikai
reagun ban
Henry Dorsett Case
But don't you know, by Infinite Worlds Theory, there really was a universe where FF7 happened!

It's 01:35 and my sarcasm detector needs blatov (body language and tone of voice).
Could I make you feel dirty by actually saying in all honesty that given the nature of an overarching cosmology, I actually support this assertion?

No you can't.
It's not possible.
The many worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics doesn't allow for a universe that breaks the fundamental rules of our universe.
If you apply the pseudoscientific Many Cosmoses paradigm to the equation, then yes (as HDC and I discussed last night over IM) it is conceivalbly possible (tautolgy by way of emphasis).  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:33 am
TeaDidikai
In otherwords HDC, your definition sucks.
Only because you've misinterpreted it. It doesn't explicitly state that anyone who does these things is Otherkin, only that this is part of the base definition of what an Otherkin does/feels. You've taken my definition a step too far by adding the context of an overarching, all-inclusive mentality to it, just like the people that continue to assert that any non-Abrahamic faith is necessarily pagan simply because part of the definition for pagan includes a religion needing to be non-Abrahamic.

But to add to my additional definition, "Otherkin" is, in fact, a term of self-identification.  

Henry Dorsett Case

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:48 am
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
reagun ban
Henry Dorsett Case

No you can't.
It's not possible.
The many worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics doesn't allow for a universe that breaks the fundamental rules of our universe.
If you apply the pseudoscientific Many Cosmoses paradigm to the equation, then yes (as HDC and I discussed last night over IM) it is conceivalbly possible (tautolgy by way of emphasis).

Who said anything about science? I was speaking about mysticism- granted, only in small part of my own brand. But still...

Yesode can be a funny place and all.

HDC>>

Does this mean you retract this:

Quote:
Welcome to the world of Otakukin. "Otherkin", in the simplest sense, is someone who feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity.

So.... no. It isn't. It is far more complex than that.

Verify your assertions.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:03 am
TeaDidikai

Does this mean you retract this:

Quote:
Welcome to the world of Otakukin. "Otherkin", in the simplest sense, is someone who feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity.

So.... no. It isn't. It is far more complex than that.

Verify your assertions.
No, I'll only refine it to say "Otherkin is a label of self-identification used, in its simplest sense, to convey that a person feels a spiritual connection to a non-human entity." Not all 'Kin believe they have the soul of a non-human entity.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:17 am
In following my natural desires to emulate one of my totems, the Bear, I intend to eat alot, and sleep as much as possible, for as long as possible. 3nodding

Now if only I could master that whole beign 9' tall and menacing peopel into letting me sleep... ninja

As far as Fluffies drawing from Final Fantasy... well, at least it's something fresher and less doen to death than White Wolf. neutral

As far as the whole otherkin issue...
What are Otherkins?
Is it an umbrella like Pagan, or is it more defined?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 pm
In a rather vaguely defined nutshell, otherkin are people who believe that they have the soul of some mythical or non-human being stuck into their human body.  

Kal Eldritch

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces