Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What got you in to reading fantasy books? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

le-half-blood-princess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 am
Ever since I read harry potter when I was 8. It sounds cliched, but it really got me into fantasy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:36 pm
Same about the HP thing, but I always kind of liked the fantasy genre. Just the usual stuff about it draws me in. 3nodding HP is when I went crazy though I'll hav to admit. I read it when I was about 8 also!  

Ziporae

Devoted Fairy

12,875 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Survivor 150

Arkyana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:36 pm
Well, when the first Harry Potter was published, my mom encouraged me to read it. I loved it so much that I read the rest of the Harry Potters and I started looking for other fantasy books like Song of the lioness, his dark materials, Eragon, etc. Since then, I'm crazy for fantasy, maybe too much. I only read fantasy!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 pm
Oh I dont know. I just sorta picked up a book and said "hey this looks good" read it and got addicted. That's normally how things work. Most likely Tamorra Pierce was the one who really got me hooked. 4laugh  

MathGirl2012

Shiama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 pm
It is amazing how many people started their reading fads once they read the Harry Potter series.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:39 pm
i remember a time, when i was little, when i hated reading!
(eek gads) burning_eyes
one of my friends, i call her AJ, refused to let me hate reading. She pick up a pierce anthony and began reading it to me. she has a very intrancing voice.
I loved it, but still refused to read on my own.
It was then she stopped reading to me. She made a deal. If she read a page, i HAD to read a page. Needless to say, after being halfway through the first book of the Xanth series, i read.
I've been reading ever since, and that was way back in fifth grade. when i was about 11 years old!  

Setsuna Rainrix

7,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200

demon_of_blackfire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 pm
my frist fantasy book. after i read it i had to read the others in the series then others by the author. the rest is history  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm
My dad always told me fairytales by bedtime. And you have those funny children books about little-folks with blueberry-hats and faries, and about king winter! No wonder I was hooked...
And then there was Narnia! 4laugh  

Variag

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:43 am
What got me into them? (Smirk) Tis my parents fault. They read me the Earthsea books, and the Hobbit at such an early age (5, and yes, I did understand the books) that I was biased for life. Other books just aren't quite as pleasing or entertaining as fantasy books. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:38 pm
My sister had been reading this series called the Belgariad by David Eddings and she'd really liked it so I decided to give it a go. I've never looked back smile  

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Sol-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 am
I don't know what my first fantasy book was, I've always loved reading and never understood why others didn't and why they read such simple, tiny books until I was in fourth grade and was slowly excaping from the protective arms of my parents. sweatdrop
I never really cared what genre a book was (didn't even learn what a genre WAS until fifth grade, as sad as that sounds...), I'd read whatever I thought looked or sounded good, and that's what I still do. Wander about the library until I find something that looks interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:19 pm
I've always been big on old-school history - anything before guns, really, in any culture - and mythology, so when my friend gave me the Immortals series to read in year 5, I was hooked, of course biggrin They're great - not as in-depth as some, but I still read them at least once a year even though I'm now in my 3rd year of uni xd I read like, everything she wrote, moved onto David Eddings and some other 'young adult' fiction and then to where I am today sweatdrop  

LamingtonQueen

x.Marsh[mel]low.x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:08 am
I'd have to say the ammount of swordplay and weaponry involved. You just dont get that with most of the other genres, and when you do, it's a load of pointless, action-packed bullshit. Rarely do you find a book that's NOT fantasy that has a swordfight that isn't just randomly stuck in there to look cool.

Anyways, I've been sword obsessive forever, and so I started reading for it, and it just dragged me into the fantasy genre. Now it's dragons I love xd xd

It's just so interesting to see how people play the creatures out. Every book is different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:02 am
To be honest I can't remember what got me into fantasy books. sweatdrop But I do know that I really really like reading fantasy books now biggrin  

Dancing_Esli

Meithanos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 pm
I guess I never lost my "persuit of Magic" as my Theater professor put it. I constantly look outside the box and try to find alternate possibilities to life in general. Fantasy opens most those doors, as does Sci-fi. (Though they are NOT the same thing despite what most bookstores say)

I've always had an overactive imagination as well, so it only makes sense that I'd read books that excercize that.

It didn't hurt any that my mom is a big Sci-fi and Fantasy fan in her reading and she encouraged it in me. I first read Anne McCaffery's Dragondrum in 5th grade and kept going from there.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff